Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 29, 2015, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
To jump to the year in which you would like to search, please click on the desired years:

1999 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014

Better yet, please feel free to add links to what you believe are portions of this discussion with important information about the Hilton Waikoloa Village® hotel property.

Examples from a different discussion not yet updated here:
Please report any errors — such as broken links, for example — to the moderators of the Hilton | Hilton HHonors forum.

Thank you.

Moderator notes (do not delete)

Posts older than 2013 for this OPEN THREAD can be found in the ARCHIVE THREAD for Hilton Waikoloa Village
Print Wikipost

Hilton Waikoloa Village {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2016, 11:01 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond,Wyndham Diamond, Caesar's Total Rewards Diamond, & others
Originally Posted by pokee
I'm in the same boat as you - booked a 2 Queen Makai mountain side room - but I'm paying with cold hard cash (groan). I thought about switching to a Hale Ike room, but then I remembered reading reviews that the Makai building location was just better/more convenient.

What I'm thinking of doing is selecting the e-upgrade to Makai oceanside for $62 (not a bad deal considering the Oceanside Makai room rates are currently $100+ more than my booked rate). But, I'm not sure if I want an ocean view that badly - especially considering I'm Canadian and I'm gonna get stuck paying another 35-40% extra on top of the exorbitant amount I'm already paying...
Feel bad I didn't see this in a timely manner. In the future, know that you can cancel your original reservation (assuming you did not book the non-refundable rooms) Make sure you are signed up for email notifications and watch for better offers before your stay. They just had a Flash Sale that offered some excellent values on this property. You could have snagged exactly what you wanted for quite a bit less and then cancelled your original reservation without penalty. Also, be sure to sign up for all of the various bonus offers through the HH website that they have right now. Log into your Hilton Honors account and look under the offers tab. Current ones that have come to my e-mail or are available in my HH account are 1000 bonus points when using your American Express, 10,000 points for a two night stay, and I'm sure that there are other targeted ones via e-mail. One thing you can pretty much count on nowadays at the Hilton Waikoloa, is that you will not be upgraded at the front desk - even as a Diamond. I used to have pretty good luck prior to a couple of years ago. Oh the stories I could tell about my last visit in January. However, if you don't like your room or do find something "wrong with it", and would really like to be upgraded without paying, go complain about something to the Hilton Honors desk. They guarantee to "make it right" which they did for me (Asphalt room in the Lagoon Tower (seriously the WORST room I've ever been in) to the Ocean and Lagoon view). Hope this helps - at least for next time.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 11:05 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond,Wyndham Diamond, Caesar's Total Rewards Diamond, & others
Originally Posted by ksyrah
Nothing special - Just updated rooms. When I was there a couple of weeks ago, even the Makai seating area around the Kona pool seemed to have disappeared. It was abused anyway.......
Completely agree with that. When we were there a few months ago, there were no towels set out on the chairs like their had been previously. There was no increased service. And, there were plenty of guests who did not have the "Makai" wrist band on. I honestly wondered how that was going to work when they first rolled it out. It really is a joke now.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by pokee
Thanks! That helps. I called, and of course the desk clerk was very non-committal in saying she thought it should be okay to have the bikes in the rooms or on the lanai...
My husband rents an expensive bike to ride every time we stay. He always has walked it through the property, up the elevator, and into the room, where it stays when not in use. We've never had a problem and he has done this many times. We won't even leave it on the Lanai as it would be several thousand dollars to replace and we just don't want to take any risk with it. So, no worries, you're fine.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by Eddie98
Wish I could've seen this flash sale. We really want to go to Maui but this would have been worth it.
I would choose to spend my points at the Hilton Waikoloa Village if it were me. We did stay at the Grand Wailea, the only property that you could use your Hilton points on in Maui, and although the rooms and beach were nice, we really didn't like staying there. It had a very stuffy feeling-- not relaxed at all. Everything is overpriced. All the staff we came in contact with were really very aloof acting. The pools were jam packed like a can of sardines. The pool area was not monitored or picked up like one would expect for such a hotel. I also didn't like having to wait in very long lines for the valet, because self parking wasn't an option. Now I am typically not one to judge, but the vibes of eliteness given off was so obvious one could not simply ignore it. Unless you're into that kind of thing, you may have a similar feeling about this property. I know many people think it is all that -- which is what we thought also before we stayed there. I won't stay there again. And as far as points redemptions go, it is outrageous from what I can see right now. You could use your two free night certificates from the Citi Hilton Reserve Visa card, or your annual certificate with 10,000 spend to get a feel for it. I just would not spend that many points on it if it were me. There are great redemption values at Hilton Waikoloa, especially if you are Diamond and stay a certain number of nights.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by Passion4Points
My husband rents an expensive bike to ride every time we stay. He always has walked it through the property, up the elevator, and into the room, where it stays when not in use. We've never had a problem and he has done this many times. We won't even leave it on the Lanai as it would be several thousand dollars to replace and we just don't want to take any risk with it. So, no worries, you're fine.
Yes, we've already had our stay and we did just that! No one seemed to care that there was a bike in our room!
Old Apr 9, 2016, 9:43 pm

Feel bad I didn't see this in a timely manner. In the future, know that you can cancel your original reservation (assuming you did not book the non-refundable rooms) Make sure you are signed up for email notifications and watch for better offers before your stay. They just had a Flash Sale that offered some excellent values on this property. You could have snagged exactly what you wanted for quite a bit less and then cancelled your original reservation without penalty. Also, be sure to sign up for all of the various bonus offers through the HH website that they have right now. Log into your Hilton Honors account and look under the offers tab. Current ones that have come to my e-mail or are available in my HH account are 1000 bonus points when using your American Express, 10,000 points for a two night stay, and I'm sure that there are other targeted ones via e-mail. One thing you can pretty much count on nowadays at the Hilton Waikoloa, is that you will not be upgraded at the front desk - even as a Diamond. I used to have pretty good luck prior to a couple of years ago. Oh the stories I could tell about my last visit in January. However, if you don't like your room or do find something "wrong with it", and would really like to be upgraded without paying, go complain about something to the Hilton Honors desk. They guarantee to "make it right" which they did for me (Asphalt room in the Lagoon Tower (seriously the WORST room I've ever been in) to the Ocean and Lagoon view). Hope this helps - at least for next time.
We were too late for the flash sale...but we did get lots of bonus hh points by booking online with promos. I have enough points for a long weekend in Destin now!

I'd like to hear your stories! Especially if they're more ridiculous than spending $6.50 for a muffin downstairs at the Waikoloa Coffee Company!

When you say the "Asphalt" room, you mean the ones facing the parking lot on the 3rd floor, where the lanai is mostly underground? If I'd got one of those rooms after paying $300 a night in would've blown a gasket! Thank goodness I was on the 5th floor close to the ocean. It was actually a great ocean and mountain view!

I'd never go back...there were just too many negatives. I would go back to the Hilton Hawaiian Village in Waikiki though....
Old Apr 9, 2016, 9:54 pm

Completely agree with that. When we were there a few months ago, there were no towels set out on the chairs like their had been previously. There was no increased service. And, there were plenty of guests who did not have the "Makai" wrist band on. I honestly wondered how that was going to work when they first rolled it out. It really is a joke now.
When we were there a month ago, the Makai area did have towels on the chairs and lots of free space. Sounds pretty inconsistent...
Old Apr 10, 2016, 2:36 pm

We did stay at the Grand Wailea, the only property that you could use your Hilton points on in Maui, and although the rooms and beach were nice, we really didn't like staying there. It had a very stuffy feeling-- not relaxed at all. Everything is overpriced. All the staff we came in contact with were really very aloof acting. The pools were jam packed like a can of sardines. The pool area was not monitored or picked up like one would expect for such a hotel. I also didn't like having to wait in very long lines for the valet, because self parking wasn't an option. Now I am typically not one to judge, but the vibes of eliteness given off was so obvious one could not simply ignore it. Unless you're into that kind of thing, you may have a similar feeling about this property. I know many people think it is all that -- which is what we thought also before we stayed there. I won't stay there again. And as far as points redemptions go, it is outrageous from what I can see right now. You could use your two free night certificates from the Citi Hilton Reserve Visa card, or your annual certificate with 10,000 spend to get a feel for it. I just would not spend that many points on it if it were me.
+1 ^

I stayed here with my kids before and the kids loved the slides. But I found the place too crowded and not relaxed at all. To me, the pools and slides are nothing compared to what we usually go in Mexico. For 80-90K points a night, it is just too pricey, even if you can find a standard room at that rate! I would look to stay elsewhere next time I want to be in Wailea area.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 1:14 am

Programs: Marriott Gold | Hilton Diamond | Hyatt Plat | UA 1K | HA Plat| Hertz President's circle
Makai is a joke

Just checked in today 2 rooms oceanside Makai. Really looks like they have given up on this concept but still charging for it. My rooms were both not very clean... dusting must not come with Makai. I watched the Makai promo video on their webpage and I asked myself where the hell is all that. More to come later in a full report. This is my 4th time at this hotel and it is falling apart in my eyes.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by little_dc
Just checked in today 2 rooms oceanside Makai. Really looks like they have given up on this concept but still charging for it. My rooms were both not very clean... dusting must not come with Makai. I watched the Makai promo video on their webpage and I asked myself where the hell is all that. More to come later in a full report. This is my 4th time at this hotel and it is falling apart in my eyes.
I would agree with the cleanliness issue. While ours wasn't disgusting, there were little things like missed, like dusting, a dirty desk chair, and some staining in the tub area. Also our TV had a little chunk taken out of it. From afar it looked like a few broken pixels, but then looking up close, you could see that there was a hole in the TV - like someone poked it with a pen. We weren't too fussed about any of it - but you'd think when you're paying that kind of money - and extra for Makai - they'd be taking a little more care...
Old Apr 14, 2016, 6:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold | Hilton Diamond | Hyatt Plat | UA 1K | HA Plat| Hertz President's circle
Just back from 3 nights in Makai (It was a big Joke)

Ok quick review of my Makai room. This is my 3rd time at this hotel in the past 120 days, first time in Makai. They market Makai as an upgraded room and experience. There is a video on the hotels webpage showing all you "get" with a Makai room. I would have to say the video is far from the truth.

The arrival - Went to the Makai desk, there was a guy sitting there, he looked up and said "Are you staying Makai?" I said yes. "Give me 10 min I have to make a call or just use the front desk". Went to the front desk and was treated like anyone else, the video online shows hot towels and someone walking you to your room. Ha not even close!

The room - We had 2 ocean front rooms 3328 and 3329 connecting rooms, one with a king bed the other 2 queens. The king room has a glass shower and the 2 queens had a tub with curtain. The queen room had a wonderful mildew smell from the curtain. Both rooms were not as clean as you would think at a Hilton. Mostly not from a room this hotel markets as upscale!

Makai rooms list upgraded bed sheets. Both rooms had 1 pillow case that was like the bedding show in the video. The rest of the sheets were standard hilton sheets.

Now for the special area for Maiki guest around the pool. Here is a side by side what the video shows and what you get

When asking a pool side server about that Makai area that on the video has cushions, towels and special service, they told us, "we do not do that anymore, you can pay to rent one"

I also noticed a lack of care by the staff. Some dirty pool towels were left outside the elevators. They were there for over 24 hours. I watched over 10 Hilton staff just walk on by them.

The Food - We did carry out pizza and salad from the Hotel pizza place. The pizza was $24 and was like school cafeteria food. The salad was $9 and here is what you get.

I was shocked how bad this stay was. My past 2 stays were in the Ocean tower and were not that bad. This was the upgraded tower. The service was bad and the room was not clean in my eyes.

As of April 1st the long time GM left this hotel to become the new GM of the Hilton Hawaiian Village on Oahu. The hotel is without a GM, I guess that could be a reason why things are not great on this stay. But many of the cleaning issues with our rooms were long term issues.

I will have a hard time going back to this hotel and will never do Makai.

Last edited by little_dc; Apr 14, 2016 at 10:12 pm Reason: Fixed Image Links / Will post other content when have time to re upload images.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok quick review of my Makai room. This is my 3rd time at this hotel in the past 120 days, first time in Makai. They market Makai as an upgraded room and experience. There is a video on the hotels webpage showing all you "get" with a Makai room. I would have to say the video is far from the truth.

The arrival - Went to the Makai desk, there was a guy sitting there, he looked up and said "Are you staying Makai?" I said yes. "Give me 10 min I have to make a call or just use the front desk". Went to the front desk and was treated like anyone else, the video online shows hot towels and someone walking you to your room. Ha not even close!

The room - We had 2 ocean front rooms 3328 and 3329 connecting rooms, one with a king bed the other 2 queens. The king room has a glass shower and the 2 queens had a tub with curtain. The queen room had a wonderful mildew smell from the curtain. Both rooms were not as clean as you would think at a Hilton. Mostly not from a room this hotel markets as upscale!

Makai rooms list upgraded bed sheets. Both rooms had 1 pillow case that was like the bedding show in the video. The rest of the sheets were standard hilton sheets.

Both rooms had miss match of bath towels and they were very warn. One would think Makai would have nice towels that match.

The bathroom had a sliding glass door that was dusty and nasty.

Also nasty shower heads in both rooms

Here are some other photos from around the rooms

Now for the special area for Maiki guest around the pool. Here is a side by side what the video shows and what you get

When asking a pool side server about that Makai area that on the video has cushions, towels and special service, they told us, "we do not do that anymore, you can pay to rent one"

I also noticed a lack of care by the staff. Some dirty pool towels were left outside the elevators. They were there for over 24 hours. I watched over 10 Hilton staff just walk on by them.

The Food - We did carry out pizza and salad from the Hotel pizza place. The pizza was $24 and was like school cafeteria food. The salad was $9 and here is what you get.

I was shocked how bad this stay was. My past 2 stays were in the Ocean tower and were not that bad. This was the upgraded tower. The service was bad and the room was not clean in my eyes.

As of April 1st the long time GM left this hotel to become the new GM of the Hilton Hawaiian Village on Oahu. The hotel is without a GM, I guess that could be a reason why things are not great on this stay. But many of the cleaning issues with our rooms were long term issues.

I will have a hard time going back to this hotel and will never do Makai.
None of your pictures came through. If click on one of the placeholders and tell it to download the picture get a google login.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 10:17 pm

Update- The hotel did make things right after I emailed them. I was called by the acting GM and he ensured me the rooms we had were due for a heavy clean and it was clear there we some issues. He was clearly worried about these issues. He also told me he would look into the services for Maiki.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 7:42 am

Programs: HH-Diamond, IHG-Plat, DL-DM, PnF Plat, Kroger +
I would choose to spend my points at the Hilton Waikoloa Village if it were me. We did stay at the Grand Wailea, the only property that you could use your Hilton points on in Maui, and although the rooms and beach were nice, we really didn't like staying there. It had a very stuffy feeling-- not relaxed at all. Everything is overpriced. All the staff we came in contact with were really very aloof acting. The pools were jam packed like a can of sardines. The pool area was not monitored or picked up like one would expect for such a hotel. I also didn't like having to wait in very long lines for the valet, because self parking wasn't an option. Now I am typically not one to judge, but the vibes of eliteness given off was so obvious one could not simply ignore it. Unless you're into that kind of thing, you may have a similar feeling about this property. I know many people think it is all that -- which is what we thought also before we stayed there. I won't stay there again. And as far as points redemptions go, it is outrageous from what I can see right now. You could use your two free night certificates from the Citi Hilton Reserve Visa card, or your annual certificate with 10,000 spend to get a feel for it. I just would not spend that many points on it if it were me. There are great redemption values at Hilton Waikoloa, especially if you are Diamond and stay a certain number of nights.
Thanks for the reply. We ended up with a condo. more secluded and less touristy. We don't like to be stuffed with a lot of people and waiting in lines for things. Glad I didn't spend my points on that property.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 3:02 pm

Update- The hotel did make things right after I emailed them. I was called by the acting GM and he ensured me the rooms we had were due for a heavy clean and it was clear there we some issues. He was clearly worried about these issues. He also told me he would look into the services for Maiki.
Your comments on this hotel and the Makai experience were bang on. I think it's clear that the food issue at this hotel is a big one, as well (One of the bigger issues highlighted in my TripAdvisor review was the $6.50 muffin at the Waikoloa Coffee Company...that's almost as bad as the $9 lettuce you got).

It's such a shame that it's managed so poorly...it's such a beautiful property, and could be so much more. On the plus side, we did always manage to get towels and chairs in the Makai area at the Lagoon Pool when we stayed in mid-March. Our kids loved the pools and slides and it was really the only saving grace for this place. It was also not very crowded (even at spring break). Now I know why...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.