Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

500K for under $3,000 is good/bad deal?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

500K for under $3,000 is good/bad deal?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2015, 10:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
Question 500K for under $3,000 is good/bad deal?

If one was to buy all three of the Daily Gateways packages you would have 500,000 HH points for under $3k. Is this a good deal: if so where are the best uses for HH points?
Old Mar 18, 2015, 10:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The generally accepted valuation right now is .5 cents per point, which means 500K points are worth around $2,500.

It's possible to redeem for higher value, but unless you have a specific redemption in mind that prices out as costing substantially more than $3K, this would not IMO be a good purchase.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
The generally accepted valuation right now is .5 cents per point, which means 500K points are worth around $2,500.

It's possible to redeem for higher value, but unless you have a specific redemption in mind that prices out as costing substantially more than $3K, this would not IMO be a good purchase.
So, the Daily Getaways are a poor deal, cost wise.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 10:50 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
I would only consider such an option if I had a specific use for the points, which more than justified the expense. Credit card applications are one thing, but I could never see spending cash to bank points.

It has been a couple of years since the last devaluation, Hilton is giving away points like candy to Diamonds, I'm expecting the other shoe to drop any day now...
Old Mar 18, 2015, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by gkbiiii
If one was to buy all three of the Daily Gateways packages you would have 500,000 HH points for under $3k. Is this a good deal: if so where are the best uses for HH points?
I'm not familiar with the getaway packages, are you just buying points or does it include a vacation ?

You can get 156K HH points by simply getting 3 Hilton Visas and spending $3K on whatever you wish
Old Mar 18, 2015, 11:00 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
...if so where are the best uses for HH points?
As in all the other threads asking this question, there is no simple way to answer that question.

...It's possible to redeem for higher value, but unless you have a specific redemption in mind that prices out as costing substantially more than $3K, this would not IMO be a good purchase.
Concur, and as I've noted before, those specific redemptions can be found at both the high and the low end. E.g., you could get 50 nights at the Farmington NM Hampton (a good place to be based if one wants to explore the Four Corners area) for your 500K points. (Or 100 nights in Cleburne, TX). In both case, let's say that the average night is $85 -- in the former case you would have save $1250; in the latter case ~$5500!

Granted, these are special circumstances, but not unheard of. Many seem to think that the only "deals" are at high end "aspirational" properties, but my best use of HHonors points ("best" = where I needed to be at a good price point. Which really is the only real "best" that matters) have been at Hamptons, HGIs and DTs.

So, the Daily Getaways are a poor deal, cost wise.
No, not always.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
First of all, you need HHonors status. Without the 5th night free you'll never get the numbers to stack up. (unless points + cash happens to be available, in which case booking in multiples of 5 nights is no longer necessary)

Secondly, a lot of people cite high end properties where you can get more than 0.5 cents of value out of an award. Except that is entirely based on whether you would ever pay $500+ a night for a hotel night in the first place. (and usually those people are pumping credit cards not suggesting you buy points) Maybe in certain extreme circumstances, but you shouldn't pay to bank a whole pile of HHonors points just in case.

On the low category side, I've just spent 10 nights at one of the supposed low category jewels - the Doubletree in Kuala Lumpur - and, to be honest, I would rather have paid the $80 cash price for LeMeridien or Sheraton (places I've stayed before) rather than the supposed bargain of 8,000 points per night ($40 say)

Buying points means you are stuck with HHonors until you can use them wisely on selected properties. Keeping your cash means you can stay wherever you want...

Last edited by craigthemif; Mar 18, 2015 at 11:20 pm
Old Mar 18, 2015, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
You can look at previous prices here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...getaways+daily
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...ys-2013-a.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...getaways+daily
If anything, HH points are worth less than they used to be worth but the cost under this promotion has increased. That said, if you have specific use for the 500,000 points planned and that use will provide you nights in a hotel, and those nights would cost you more than what you pay for the points in this promotion, then go for it. Otherwise, I don't see the value.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 5:31 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
I would not touch this offer unless I already have target redemption opportunities to immediately redeem the large majority of the purchased points.

Keeping is risky as HH have not devalued for 2years so another devaluation could occur within 12months

Also historically points were worth more and HH sold for less, just do some quick maths!

Also if using during 2015 nights will count towards your HH status renewal, so if your regular requal is usually borderline numbers wise and you need do a year end room-run that is a saving you can offset against the purchase cost.

You show no HH status but if you can get gold before stay with HH bennies apply to award nights too and nights/stays count towards requal total.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

I have Gold through FoundersCard status, so I don't need to worry about status renewal. I miss the days in the 90s when I was a mere silver, yet 100K got you a 6/7 night VIP vacation package.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA LifeTime PLT (2.982 MM, But 3MM+ Total), HHonors GOLD, IHG AMB
This would be a good deal if Hilton were back to their point rates in the Year 2000, but now my fav Conrads cream a desire for 80,000 points. So no, not a good deal.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 3:13 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Book the vacation of your dreams, compare the cash price or cash & points price, the decide if it is worth it. But also factor in points earned on a cash stay to the equation.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

at least 6 nights at category 10 (conrad maldives, conrad samui)
Old Mar 20, 2015, 9:00 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum

Agree is depends on what your redemption plan is. For instance, right now at Grand Wailea, over Christmas, rooms are about 82,000 points per night. However they are selling for $1000 per night.
So your 500,000 in points would get you six nights at a valuation of $6000
Old Mar 20, 2015, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by snapper6768
So your 500,000 in points would get you six nights at a valuation of $6000
It's only a valuation of $6000 if you are willing to pay $6000 in the first place. Value and price/cost are two entirely different things.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.