Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Best Rate Guarantee or BRG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2015, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ekozie
We are trying to collate a list of the websites that Hilton's Best Rate Guarantee team consider eligible for the BRG. Please update the following wiki with you successful/rejected BRG claims.

^Successful BRG claims have been made against:
muchoviaje.com - 26/09/2016
expedia.co.uk - 26/09/2016, Jan 2018
Expedia.com (US) - 18/09/2017
Expedia.ca - 1/20/18
happyrooms.com - 30/09/2016, 25/Jan/2017, 28/Jan/2017, 27/Feb/2017, 23/July/2017
hotelscombined.com - 17/Jan/2017
priceline.com (standard booking, not a bid or express booking)- 05/Oct/2016, 15/May/2017, 22/Apr/2018, 22/Oct/18, 25/Nov/18
prestigia.com - 24/Jan/2017
orbitz.com - Dec 2017
prestigia.com - Dec 2017, January 2018
nustay.com - Feb 2020

Unauthorised Sites for BRG Claim:
roomertravel.com - 16/09/2016
prestigia.com - 27/09/2016 - 'does not instantly confirm'
hoteltravel.com - August 2016 - " there have been discrepancies in the way the website has been displaying prices recently, and we are not satisfied that the website's processes are fair and transparent."
destinia.com - 29/09/2016 - 12 EUR Administration Fee for any cancellation vs Hilton Fully Flex
Travel.AmericaExpress.co.uk - 29/09/2016 Amex Card holders only
Bedfinder.com 6/8/17 - The third party site bedfinder.com is no longer considered to be valid
skoosh.com - denied 10//4/18

BRG claims on non-refundable rates are a gamble at best. Hilton can ask 3rd party sites to remove rates when they "sell unbundled wholesale rates", and screenshots are no longer sufficient proof. You will end up with the non-refundable rate booked, if the rate is gone when your claim is being reviewed.

On 18 November 2014 (see post #1261 of the archived thread), the HHonorsRepresentative listed 15 third-party websites that were 'no longer authorized to distribute our hotels’ static rates':
  • Alpharooms.com
  • Amoma.com
  • Cleartrip.com
  • Despegar
  • Elvoline
  • Galahotels
  • Hotelpronto.com
  • Jumbotours
  • LMT.com
  • Secretescapes
  • Simplytravel.de
  • TravelRepublic
  • Wego
  • Worldwideholidays.com.au

However, on 19 December 2014 (see post #3 of this thread), the HHonorsRepresentative announced a change of policy, stating that:
Originally Posted by HonorsRepresentative
Moving forward, we will approve claims from these sites as long as the offered rates meet the other BRG requirements we have in place, as we recognize that this is in the best interest of our members.

The Best Rate Guarantee exists so that our guests feel confident going to Hilton Worldwide channels to find the best rates that we offer. We strive for pricing accuracy in all our channels, and the BRG helps identify when that is not the case.
The HonorsRepresentative has not issued any subsequent statement suggesting another change of policy and a return to the previous 'blacklist'.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the late 2014/2015 BRG thread - for the original thread please check here

Hilton Best Rate Guarantee, or BRG: The Definitive Thread

Thanks!

Squeakr
for the HH Mod Team of squeakr, Canarsie and Kiwi Flyer
--------
Print Wikipost

Hilton Best Rate Guarantee or BRG

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2023, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by MarcElMile
I tried to do a match by phone today but the whole department in the Philippines seems to be closed? I was able to talk to Diamond desk but no other department could match by phone and they kept telling me to use the online form. Before, it was always possible to reach someone that was from the Price Match department.

Did Hilton close this down or is it a temporary thing?
No idea about the PH but did you try the other hotlines? Not Diamond Desk but regular Hilton hotline. They normally put you through if you ask them in order to do the PMG. Usually to the US team.
Old Oct 10, 2023, 10:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, VS Gold, FB Plat
Originally Posted by Emick
No idea about the PH but did you try the other hotlines? Not Diamond Desk but regular Hilton hotline. They normally put you through if you ask them in order to do the PMG. Usually to the US team.
The normal number, the 1-800-HHonors, used to have an option where you could press 6 and would connect you to a price match agent. Now, when I tried that, it automatically told me on the phone to fill the online form and disconnected. Calling reservations and directly asking for Price Match seemed to work who connected me to Diamond Desk and normal price line department. As usual, took a few tries, first agent with fake western name refused saying it's not possible to match a non-refundable rate. Got the same answer on 2nd call from Diamond desk, but when I explained it was possible, the agent went out of their way to learn how to do it and made it happen.

It's for a central property in London, went down from Ł804.43, to Ł360.11 - so worth it.
pmarrsouth, lgormley and Emick like this.
Old Oct 11, 2023, 4:44 am

Originally Posted by MarcElMile
The normal number, the 1-800-HHonors, used to have an option where you could press 6 and would connect you to a price match agent. Now, when I tried that, it automatically told me on the phone to fill the online form and disconnected. Calling reservations and directly asking for Price Match seemed to work who connected me to Diamond Desk and normal price line department. As usual, took a few tries, first agent with fake western name refused saying it's not possible to match a non-refundable rate. Got the same answer on 2nd call from Diamond desk, but when I explained it was possible, the agent went out of their way to learn how to do it and made it happen.

It's for a central property in London, went down from Ł804.43, to Ł360.11 - so worth it.
Great - congrats!

Had this bs with non-refundable rates (“cannot be claimed”) several times in the past. Very frustrating.
Old Oct 11, 2023, 6:14 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Denied today due to cancel policy being different. Interestingly, I think the online travel agencies finally figured out how to get bookings. All the cancel policies on Booking.com and Agoda are different than the cancel policies offered when booking direct by one day (for the hotel I was denied). Therefore, Hilton won't honor the BRG. The rate is quite different (was $87 per night lower on the OTA). Even without any of my Hilton Diamond benefits (paying for breakfast, no late check out, etc.) it's worth not booking direct. Wonder if it'll keep happening... but if so, I may be booking via OTAs much more often (especially when there are no upgrade opptys as with the property I'm staying at).
Emick likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Denied today due to cancel policy being different. Interestingly, I think the online travel agencies finally figured out how to get bookings. All the cancel policies on Booking.com and Agoda are different than the cancel policies offered when booking direct by one day (for the hotel I was denied). Therefore, Hilton won't honor the BRG. The rate is quite different (was $87 per night lower on the OTA). Even without any of my Hilton Diamond benefits (paying for breakfast, no late check out, etc.) it's worth not booking direct. Wonder if it'll keep happening... but if so, I may be booking via OTAs much more often (especially when there are no upgrade opptys as with the property I'm staying at).
It was like that once with Marriott - I was trying to call the hotel if they can just give me the OTA price - they said "book with them"... I was speechless and booked with them. Fortunately, I got the perks.
TravelinSperry likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 9:41 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by nacho
It was like that once with Marriott - I was trying to call the hotel if they can just give me the OTA price - they said "book with them"... I was speechless and booked with them. Fortunately, I got the perks.
It is wild that hotels would rather have the monies go through the OTA. I've already rebooked 3 US Hilton stays via OTAs saving me a whopping $850 in total. As a credit card Diamond, the loss of the nights towards status is irrelevant to me and the loss of breakfast and a few bottles of water is significantly less than the $ savings. Plus these 3 stays wouldn't have any upgrade oppty's either so no loss there. I have one more stay where I could save $80 via the OTA but breakfast for 2 would be a wash... so I kept it (for the moment). I was denied Hiltons Best Rate Guarantee at all 3 stays due to the rep being unable to find the low rate I found and/or the cancel policy being 1 day different.

If this continues to be a thing at Hilton, I may even consider cancelling my Hilton Aspire Amex although for the moment, I'll keep it.
the810 likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is wild that hotels would rather have the monies go through the OTA. I've already rebooked 3 US Hilton stays via OTAs saving me a whopping $850 in total. As a credit card Diamond, the loss of the nights towards status is irrelevant to me and the loss of breakfast and a few bottles of water is significantly less than the $ savings. Plus these 3 stays wouldn't have any upgrade oppty's either so no loss there. I have one more stay where I could save $80 via the OTA but breakfast for 2 would be a wash... so I kept it (for the moment). I was denied Hiltons Best Rate Guarantee at all 3 stays due to the rep being unable to find the low rate I found and/or the cancel policy being 1 day different.

If this continues to be a thing at Hilton, I may even consider cancelling my Hilton Aspire Amex although for the moment, I'll keep it.
What the hotel told me was that "this is a deal we made with trip.com and we are not allowed to match it". I was thinking "who tells you to tell trip.com that you sold a room to me?"
Emick likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 3:25 pm

What the hotel told me was that "this is a deal we made with trip.com and we are not allowed to match it". I was thinking "who tells you to tell trip.com that you sold a room to me?"
Ha. I'm sure they were lying in any case.

I just re-booked another Hilton stay via an OTA and saved $96 over 3 nights. Truly incredible Hilton corp doesn't want to match these deals... money going to the OTA now instead of to them. Now up to 22 US nights shifted with just under $1,000 in savings. I'd be less likely to shift int'l Hilton stays as they generally offer better upgrade options to Diamond members. But not one of my stays had exec lounges and only a very limited chance at upgrades. The loss is primarily breakfast and the $1k in my pocket will help pay for that.

Interestingly this isn't happening with Marriott or Hyatt. I checked all my rates with the OTA and all were the same or very similar. Only with Hilton am I able to save so much booking with the OTA vs direct. And Hilton won't match since the OTA requires pre-payment 2 days prior to each stay (rather than collecting at property). Which according to Hilton's T&C's makes the match void.
Emick likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2023, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ha. I'm sure they were lying in any case.

I just re-booked another Hilton stay via an OTA and saved $96 over 3 nights. Truly incredible Hilton corp doesn't want to match these deals... money going to the OTA now instead of to them. Now up to 22 US nights shifted with just under $1,000 in savings. I'd be less likely to shift int'l Hilton stays as they generally offer better upgrade options to Diamond members. But not one of my stays had exec lounges and only a very limited chance at upgrades. The loss is primarily breakfast and the $1k in my pocket will help pay for that.

Interestingly this isn't happening with Marriott or Hyatt. I checked all my rates with the OTA and all were the same or very similar. Only with Hilton am I able to save so much booking with the OTA vs direct. And Hilton won't match since the OTA requires pre-payment 2 days prior to each stay (rather than collecting at property). Which according to Hilton's T&C's makes the match void.
That's the thing - I'd rather save $31/night instead of taking the perks and Hilton Peso. Some OTAs even yield better cashback.

I think it's also more likely that Hilton in Asia offers perks even though you are booking through OTA.
TravelinSperry and Emick like this.
Old Oct 13, 2023, 2:35 pm

Yeah. Different cancellation policy do disqualify 🤷‍♂️

All T&C must be absolutely identical.
pmarrsouth likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2023, 8:31 pm

That's the thing - I'd rather save $31/night instead of taking the perks and Hilton Peso. Some OTAs even yield better cashback.

I think it's also more likely that Hilton in Asia offers perks even though you are booking through OTA.
Hmmm, interesting. Either way, I get treated much better as a Diamond abroad so will likely continue to book direct for Int'l stays. But in the USA where everyone is a Diamond and most benefits are scarce I am now booking via OTA when the rates make sense (not for a few bucks... but when much lower).

Originally Posted by Emick
Yeah. Different cancellation policy do disqualify 🤷‍♂️

All T&C must be absolutely identical.
Understood. Just seems weird to me as the OTAs know this too and are just changing things by a day so they get bookings (and Hilton doesn't). You'd think Hilton would care and want these bookings... but upthread someone explained why they don't. Whatever, I'm happy saving my almost $1,000 on the 4 stays I recently swapped to an OTA.
Emick likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2023, 9:58 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Just do that. Talk to hotel and ask them (nicely) to put a note on your res made with OTA of your status. You won't earn any points, but you can get all the other benefits.

For some reason or other (some penalties from corporate may be?) hotels can't book you at the lower OTA price, but if you ask them nicely, and esp. if you stay there often, they can choose to give you the status benefits even on an OTA booking. Just no points earning, that's the one thing they can't do. And your status benefits won't show, so it won't be automatic, you'll need to refer anyone who asks to the notes on your reservation.
TravelinSperry likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2023, 10:45 am

While I did skim through the thread, I might have missed it, so my apologies if this has already been asked.

Can you match OTA rates with more restrictive cancellation policies or even non-refundable ones if the hotel only offers refundable rates (one day prior to arrival)? I'm asking because that can work with Marriott.

thanks for the help
Old Oct 14, 2023, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by roadrunner83
While I did skim through the thread, I might have missed it, so my apologies if this has already been asked.

Can you match OTA rates with more restrictive cancellation policies or even non-refundable ones if the hotel only offers refundable rates (one day prior to arrival)? I'm asking because that can work with Marriott.

thanks for the help
Nope. I was just denied for cancel policies not being exact. And pre-payment needs to be exact too (if OTA requires pre-payment then so must Hilton).
roadrunner83 likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2023, 11:28 am

I feared so but thanks for clearing that up

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.