Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Best Rate Guarantee or BRG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2015, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ekozie
We are trying to collate a list of the websites that Hilton's Best Rate Guarantee team consider eligible for the BRG. Please update the following wiki with you successful/rejected BRG claims.

^Successful BRG claims have been made against:
muchoviaje.com - 26/09/2016
expedia.co.uk - 26/09/2016, Jan 2018
Expedia.com (US) - 18/09/2017
Expedia.ca - 1/20/18
happyrooms.com - 30/09/2016, 25/Jan/2017, 28/Jan/2017, 27/Feb/2017, 23/July/2017
hotelscombined.com - 17/Jan/2017
priceline.com (standard booking, not a bid or express booking)- 05/Oct/2016, 15/May/2017, 22/Apr/2018, 22/Oct/18, 25/Nov/18
prestigia.com - 24/Jan/2017
orbitz.com - Dec 2017
prestigia.com - Dec 2017, January 2018
nustay.com - Feb 2020

Unauthorised Sites for BRG Claim:
roomertravel.com - 16/09/2016
prestigia.com - 27/09/2016 - 'does not instantly confirm'
hoteltravel.com - August 2016 - " there have been discrepancies in the way the website has been displaying prices recently, and we are not satisfied that the website's processes are fair and transparent."
destinia.com - 29/09/2016 - 12 EUR Administration Fee for any cancellation vs Hilton Fully Flex
Travel.AmericaExpress.co.uk - 29/09/2016 Amex Card holders only
Bedfinder.com 6/8/17 - The third party site bedfinder.com is no longer considered to be valid
skoosh.com - denied 10//4/18

BRG claims on non-refundable rates are a gamble at best. Hilton can ask 3rd party sites to remove rates when they "sell unbundled wholesale rates", and screenshots are no longer sufficient proof. You will end up with the non-refundable rate booked, if the rate is gone when your claim is being reviewed.

On 18 November 2014 (see post #1261 of the archived thread), the HHonorsRepresentative listed 15 third-party websites that were 'no longer authorized to distribute our hotels’ static rates':
  • Alpharooms.com
  • Amoma.com
  • Cleartrip.com
  • Despegar
  • Elvoline
  • Galahotels
  • Hotelpronto.com
  • Jumbotours
  • LMT.com
  • Secretescapes
  • Simplytravel.de
  • TravelRepublic
  • Wego
  • Worldwideholidays.com.au

However, on 19 December 2014 (see post #3 of this thread), the HHonorsRepresentative announced a change of policy, stating that:
Originally Posted by HonorsRepresentative
Moving forward, we will approve claims from these sites as long as the offered rates meet the other BRG requirements we have in place, as we recognize that this is in the best interest of our members.

The Best Rate Guarantee exists so that our guests feel confident going to Hilton Worldwide channels to find the best rates that we offer. We strive for pricing accuracy in all our channels, and the BRG helps identify when that is not the case.
The HonorsRepresentative has not issued any subsequent statement suggesting another change of policy and a return to the previous 'blacklist'.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the late 2014/2015 BRG thread - for the original thread please check here

Hilton Best Rate Guarantee, or BRG: The Definitive Thread

Thanks!

Squeakr
for the HH Mod Team of squeakr, Canarsie and Kiwi Flyer
--------
Print Wikipost

Hilton Best Rate Guarantee or BRG

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2019, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Frayed_Yak
Is it any surprise I subsequently just booked through the OTA?
Yes it is.... BRG policies are more about marketing than actually price matching. The idea is for Anna Kendrick to make you believe that you don't even need to look elsewhere for a lower rate.

However the people who do BRGs regularly are very much interested in earning points, elite status, etc. along with the 25% discount. So giving up after one bad call - walking away from all the potential benefits - is indeed a "surprise".
Cat88L3 and pmarrsouth like this.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 10:18 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Frayed_Yak
I just called in to attempt a BRG and the agent, after a mere 3 minutes of researching, came back and said to me, "This is too hard and I'm not comfortable performing the match. I'm ending the call." She hung up before I could even reply. The site was booking.com.

Honestly, hanging up on your customers is so infuriating, especially when they've done or said nothing wrong. Is it any surprise I subsequently just booked through the OTA?
This is pretty outrageous. I'd write in about it, so a different foreign CS agent can reply with a form letter that makes no sense and addresses something else completely.
strickerj likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 6:53 pm

Programs: ANA,Qantas,asiamiles,Royal Skies,Enrich
Calling in to do BRG seems tough to do if you see a lower competing rate on the mobile device while the price the agent saw is similar to Hilton rate on their desktop
Old Nov 3, 2019, 5:25 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
For the first time in a long while, I had a BRG approved on a flexible rate. Conditions did not even match 100% as the third party website had a more liberal cancellation policy than hilton.com. And it was trip.com to boot, which I am usually not clear on whether they will approve it or not.

I know this is somewhat illogical, but I often had the feeling that once you become a heavy user of BRG they will tighten the screws on you and make it more difficult for BRGs to get approved. I took a break for BRG requests and first try after a hiatus is a success ... nothing to change my views!
Old Nov 3, 2019, 5:26 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Interesting to hear that we can now attempt pre-paid BRGs without having a reservation in the first place. This is a very welcome development and it used to be one of the main reasons why BRG was the best and easiest at Fairmont in the past, which has now been destroyed by Accor since you can no longer call in for BRG.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by escape4
For the first time in a long while, I had a BRG approved on a flexible rate. Conditions did not even match 100% as the third party website had a more liberal cancellation policy than hilton.com. And it was trip.com to boot, which I am usually not clear on whether they will approve it or not.

I know this is somewhat illogical, but I often had the feeling that once you become a heavy user of BRG they will tighten the screws on you and make it more difficult for BRGs to get approved. I took a break for BRG requests and first try after a hiatus is a success ... nothing to change my views!
It’s getting harder to find a match but I got my BRG approved 11 times since September 2018.latest BRG approval was moments ago
Old Nov 3, 2019, 9:42 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Yes it is.... BRG policies are more about marketing than actually price matching. The idea is for Anna Kendrick to make you believe that you don't even need to look elsewhere for a lower rate.

However the people who do BRGs regularly are very much interested in earning points, elite status, etc. along with the 25% discount. So giving up after one bad call - walking away from all the potential benefits - is indeed a "surprise".
I experienced intentional rudeness, not just some accidental lapse in service standard. I subsequently decided that the benefits were not worth it in this case. It was my first attempt at a BRG and I didn't want to risk getting hung up on again.

Last edited by Canarsie; Apr 17, 2021 at 8:38 am Reason: Consolidation.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 6:05 am

Programs: SQ Elite Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Platinum
DoubleTree by Hilton San Diego Hotel Circle
Room type: 2 Queen - Flexible
Travel time: 3 nights in Oct-2019
Hilton rate: $169
Hotels.com: $134
Adjusted rate: $100

Was a bit of a pain though:

Hilton Email 1: "Rate not found"
Me: "Here's a screenshot"
Hilton Email 2: "Okay, approved. You'll receive an updated confirmation in a bit"
Confirmation: "$169 per night"
Me: "Wat?"
Hilton Email 3: "Oh, so sorry, let's do that again"
Confirmation: "$134"
Me: "Guys, it should be 25% off of $134"
Hilton: "You're right. But we have a technical glitch and cannot update it. We have advised the hotel to update it on their end. All is taken care of"

(3 weeks later, I arrive at the hotel)

Receptionist: "Welcome to DoubleTree, your nightly rate is $134"
Me: "Yeah, why am I not surprised? Here, look at this email"
Receptionist: "Lemme call my boss"
Boss: (Reads the email for 5 minutes) "Okay, so the final rate is $100"

RafKa likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 7:19 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by escape4
Interesting to hear that we can now attempt pre-paid BRGs without having a reservation in the first place. This is a very welcome development ...
Its been like this for over a year now with Hilton
Cat88L3 likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 8:44 am

DoubleTree by Hilton Resort Penang
Room type: King Deluxe with Balcony
Travel time: end November 2019
Hilton rate: MYR 337++
Agoda Rate: MYR 319.91++
Adjusted rate: MYR 240++
Old Nov 4, 2019, 5:32 pm

Had an agent told me Hotels.com doesn't work because it is in US$ and I booked in the local hotel currency... told her to change the currency on the top of the page of Hotels.com to the local hotel currency, but she refused lol. Went through email and a few hours later got a confirmation with 25% off. Don't let them fool you, guys.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 8:05 am

Programs: SQ Elite Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Platinum
Conrad Bangkok Residences
Room type: One Bedroom Suite, Non-Refundable
Travel time: November 2019
Hilton rate: THB ~4500 incl tax
Trip.com Rate: THB 3860
Adjusted rate: THB 2890

All managed pre-booking via their hotline ^
Old Nov 5, 2019, 2:46 pm

"When multiple prices for the same accommodations are available through the official Hilton booking channel, you must have booked the lowest rate to be eligible for the Price Match Guarantee."

Does this mean we have to book the advance purchase rate on Hilton.com in order to be eligible for the BRG?
Old Nov 5, 2019, 4:12 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by michael_v
"When multiple prices for the same accommodations are available through the official Hilton booking channel, you must have booked the lowest rate to be eligible for the Price Match Guarantee."

Does this mean we have to book the advance purchase rate on Hilton.com in order to be eligible for the BRG?
No.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by Cat88L3
No.
What does it mean then?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.