Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Do you actively ask for an upgrade at the desk?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you actively ask for an upgrade at the desk?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2015, 11:37 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
From my experience as a Gold - yes, ask for the upgrade, especially at full service properties (Hilton, Doubletree etc.). Not so much at a Hampton or HGI.

Actual story: In 2013, I had booked an award stay at a Hilton in Florida for a weekend getaway to celebrate my birthday. When I checked in, I sort of hinted that it was my birthday and the front desk clerk wrote on a sheet of paper and held it up for me to read, "Ask me for an upgrade." I did, and it got me a water view room with a balcony. The FD clerk shared that upgrades at their property have to be asked for. Since then, I have made it a point to ask.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 2:48 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by keeton
The FD clerk shared that upgrades at their property have to be asked for. Since then, I have made it a point to ask.
That sounds like something Hilton Corporate should be made aware of.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 3:32 pm

As a Gold I have good luck asking for the specific thing I am after in the comments box, for example a room with a sofa, or a balcony, or tub not just shower, or a water view. It usually takes an upgraded room to fulfill the request.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 10:03 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Without fail. Starting when I was a Gold and continuing now that I'm Diamond. I've found it has better than a 50% success rate.

My travel motto is a bit like Jack Sparrow's: Take all you can, give nothing back
Old Feb 20, 2015, 11:38 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, Marriott Rewards Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, TK M&S Elite
Every single time...I have about a 75% upgrade rate as a HH Gold. I think who you work for plays a significant role as well (if it is listed in your profile). I am blessed to work in mid-management for one of the most recognized brands of healthcare in the world and it is almost always brought up by the front desk staff when checking in.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 12:11 pm

Programs: HH D
Really never ask for it. Upgrade rate close to 100%. Suite or jr. suite rate around 75%. Though most of my stays are on weekends (but not all of them).

Edit: should have written "suite or jr. suite or preferred view room" score around 75%. I really enjoy a river view etc. Also, as a leisure traveler, this score is distorted by past experiences (i.e. revisiting hotels that upgrade well most of the time ).

Last edited by Sisosig; Feb 21, 2015 at 2:41 am
Old Feb 20, 2015, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
I ask. Sometimes I get upgraded as a result.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, HH Lifetime Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Marrriott Silver, SPG, National Exec Elite
I never ask while on biz, but usually get a good room - I have in my profile quiet room please, away from elevators. On pleasure I have occasionally noted in my reservation, Diamond upgrade if available - birthday or anniversary etc. I have asked for a different room though if the location or view is bad, ie overlooking the lobby rooftop AC units outside the window, or facing the noisy side of the street, as I like quiet rooms.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 2:51 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Several of my own making in which I was recently fast-tracked to super-duper-über-elite status
It depends on the property. If I know the property really well, I'll usually request specific rooms or room types in the comments of my reservation. If I sort of know the property, I wait and see what they give me and then decide whether to ask at check-in.

If I don't know the property at all, I'll usually go to the room and make a decision on whether I can live with it or whether to ask for something better.

One thing that has been happened a couple of times that gets my goat is when they tell me they can't change my room because I asked for it to be de-feathered, then I get there and it still has all the feathers in it.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by CMK10
Without fail. Starting when I was a Gold and continuing now that I'm Diamond. I've found it has better than a 50% success rate.

My travel motto is a bit like Jack Sparrow's: Take all you can, give nothing back
I have an upcoming reservation at the Conrad Tokyo for the Royal Hamarikyu Suite.

It's the best Hilton suite in Japan, so I can't really ask for an upgrade. Anything else I should be asking for?
Old Feb 26, 2015, 12:36 am
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
When I was a Gold, I asked for an upgrade every single time, and only had 2 incidents when I was NOT upgraded to a Suite (assuming one was showing available on the website).
Old Feb 26, 2015, 7:47 am

Programs: ua-mm *G, hilton-gold
since I am gold because of the am ex surpass card, I never ask for upgrades. I do however get a lot of upgrades. just back from Sorrento Hilton. got upgraded to exec room with lounge access on a points and cash reservation. view from balcony was stunning. that card is so worth it for retired people like me. also got exec room upgrade at Florence Hilton too.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 5:54 pm

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
I always ask.. atleast in the US, the ideas is you won't get if you don't even ask. I do hate the fact that you have to fight for published benefits. I earn primarily via CC spend but I'm sure people qualifying via paid stays must be outraged.

There are also a lot of meaningless upgrades. At the waldorf astoria in la quinta, there were rooms with $20 difference per night. I was given a 2 category upgrade but it wasn't very meaningful.

So many front desk agents are unaware of the published benefits that it's better to be informed. Sometimes I feel they pretend ignorance just so that they don't have to provide it (e.g. free movie at waldorf astoria).

Last time I stayed at the carlsbad hilton resort and they gave $10 coupons as a diamond benefit. The continental breakfast was $18 plus tax/tip. So I emailed the guest services manager and he took care of full breakfast for me (I'd have been happy with continental).

I also email if the stay is important to me. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't but trying is good. As a man, I have been rejected in way more embarrassing situations
Old Feb 28, 2015, 6:25 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Gold, Marriott Gold
This is the problem!!! We should never have to ask it should be a reward for status if they have a better room you should get it.

I'm convinced that many check in persons don't even understand HHonors and status.

Once I asked for an upgrade and they said of course....and of course they charged me for it.

HHonors needs to re-energize their program. They are going to take a hit by people who have a choice.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by san888
This is the problem!!! We should never have to ask it should be a reward for status if they have a better room you should get it.

I'm convinced that many check in persons don't even understand HHonors and status.

Once I asked for an upgrade and they said of course....and of course they charged me for it.
That's why I ask for a "Diamond Upgrade".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.