Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Do you actively ask for an upgrade at the desk?

Do you actively ask for an upgrade at the desk?

Old Feb 17, 2015, 7:39 am

I ask, though I find it easier to do so electronically beforehand. I do quite well when I ask; I think hotels appreciate an engaged consumer and otherwise don't proactively go out of their way to upgrade (well, in the US at least).
Old Feb 17, 2015, 10:55 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
It seems like every time I ask about upgrades it leads to an awkward conversation where they try to upsell me instead of looking to see if upgrades were available. Though one time the woman working the desk proudly "upgraded" me into the room that I'd already been assigned (I'd looked on the OLCI to see what they'd given me before I got there but cancelled before completing check in).

Maybe I'm asking wrong, how do you guys go about it? With rental cars it was always easy, just saying something like "I'm on work travel so can't change the rate, but what else do you have available?". But with hotels just asking if there are any elite upgrades available never seems to work. Plus I always feel like a DYKWIA if I proclaim I'm a diamond and want an upgrade.

Last edited by Zeeb; Feb 17, 2015 at 11:24 am
Old Feb 17, 2015, 11:18 am

Programs: UA G 1.9MM, HH Diamond, Global Entry
I wait to see what floor I'm on, HH or Premium floor. For the most part I am already upgraded. If not, I'll ask. One thing I've noticed with ES is that some properties won't give a "free" upgrade to the premium floor, just the HH floor.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 5:21 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Gold, Marriott Gold
Sad that most Diamonds don't get upgraded much if at all in the USA. This is why Diamond status is so overrated except for the 50% point bonus. The only perk worth it in the US is if they give you a full breakfast.

I'm not chasing Diamond this year but will get a CCard that gives me gold next year so I keep getting the breakfast perk.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by spearsba
I wait to see what floor I'm on, HH or Premium floor. For the most part I am already upgraded. If not, I'll ask. One thing I've noticed with ES is that some properties won't give a "free" upgrade to the premium floor, just the HH floor.
I've been upgraded as a Diamond to the "premium" floor at several properties but have had zero luck getting the code to the special snack machine. The rooms are identical to others from what I've seen thus far.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Can't hurt to ask and get a no. Worst that can happen is your room is switched and you miss your letter and chocolates gift in your room though.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 12:36 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond
I do care about upgrades and I am always happy to get one.
So I ususally write an email beforehand mentioning that I would appreciate an upgrade very much. Sometimes there is no reaction, sometimes no answer but a pre-assigned upgrade, more often than not I get a nice answer and some upgrade - either pre-assigned or at check-in. The upgrades differ, rarely a suite, sometimes junior suites, usually executive floor rooms (which I consider 'fake' upgrades if this does not involve a larger room or view with room since DIA have access to the executive lounge anyway).
Where I am a returning guest I started getting frquent upgrades. Also when staying on points. However, this applies to Europe, not the US.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 10:35 am

Programs: UA G 1.9MM, HH Diamond, Global Entry
Originally Posted by smmrfld
I've been upgraded as a Diamond to the "premium" floor at several properties but have had zero luck getting the code to the special snack machine. The rooms are identical to others from what I've seen thus far.
Never had that problem, if I get the Premium floor, they give me the code.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 10:42 am

Programs: AA LifeTime PLT (2.982 MM, But 3MM+ Total), HHonors GOLD, IHG AMB
Originally Posted by slickguy
Does asking for an upgrade at the desk as an HHonors Gold/Diamond up your chances for an upgrade at all? Or does it not matter?.
My answer as a Diamond (and as a soon to return Gold), is NO. What you can do is when you book on-line, there's a small box to write your preferences. I write very easy requirements and every time I get them. I never write "May I have an upgrade to the Presidents Suite" or any other immaterial upgrade for that matter. Just give me a clean, quiet room, with a nice shower and amenities, plus B-Fast.....I paid for it.

The best "upgrade" is a really nice front desk, because later on, they'll be there for you.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 4:45 am

Programs: QF P1 + LTG VA Plat, AA nothing, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
I never ask for an upgrade. I feel rather awkward and stupid asking for something that I really should be entitled to. The one time I did OLCI at Hilton SYD I got upgraded to the top suite available there - go figure, that property is notoriously stingy with room upgrades IME.
These days I'm pretty grateful to get the room category I booked, Exec Lounge access , decent wi-fi and breakfast. Anything else is a bonus.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 6:10 am

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond
We were just in Phoenix and stayed 4 nights at the Pointe Hilton Tapatio Cliffs. We were on points so our bill was zero. They upgraded us to one of their largest suites (all rooms are suites but there are different levels of suites). They did not charge us the resort fee and gladly gave us the breakfast coupons for which the continental breakfast was quite good and you could get the full breakfast for a $4 upcharge.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 8:06 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
The only time I have asked at the desk recently have been two occasions I made a last minute reservation the morning of my stay and I was accordingly just allocated a regular room instead on on the Executive Floor and it was a hotel that always upgrades me to the floor and when I mentioned it they found a room for me on that floor. That said, these upgrade threads have motivated me over the past month me to start leaving a nice note in the comment section if I want something in particular such as a nice view and my strike rate seemed to be a bit better based on limited situations where such matter (some hotels like HGIs don't really don't have upgradeable rooms) and while they were not suite upgrades they were definitely rooms upgrades to something I wanted so I was content.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 8:09 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
By the way, it would be nice if Hilton adopted the DSU system of Hyatt for those times when it really makes a difference. There are times when suite upgrades are less appreciated then others, like when you arrive later in the evening and have to get up relatively early.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 8:12 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by Princess fiona
I never ask for an upgrade. I feel rather awkward and stupid asking for something that I really should be entitled to. The one time I did OLCI at Hilton SYD I got upgraded to the top suite available there - go figure, that property is notoriously stingy with room upgrades IME.
These days I'm pretty grateful to get the room category I booked, Exec Lounge access , decent wi-fi and breakfast. Anything else is a bonus.
I agree on that. I don't see why one should have to ask about an upgrade for a hotel room. If there is space available, there should be an upgrade. That's the policy. Hotels should follow it. I can't imagine a circumstance where someone would not desire an upgrade (or, at worst, be indifferent to it) such that the hotel would need to not only wait and make sure someone wanted a nicer room, but actually require them to initiate the conversation. The only possible thing I could think of would be someone having mobility issues and an upgrade could be a longer walk. But someone with those issues would have the same problem regardless of room type.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 9:00 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold (LT), Nat EL Exec, Hertz PC
In just over three years of being diamond with Hilton, I'm aware of one upgrade that I've received (at a Hilton in New Orleans). I nearly always get exactly the room type I book. Further, I've never asked, nor would I ask as this is a published benefit that should be automatic. Would I complain about getting the room I booked? No. Would I complain that a benefit is published with no expected reality behind it? No, I'd simply note it, build it into my evaluation and move on.

I travel with others regularly and have seen them ask, seen them present their diamond card (it's in the profile!), etc. I see hit or miss success. More often than not, I witness them being asked to pay to upgrade to another level of room, and it makes me chuckle silently that they don't have an upgrade available (demonstrated by the lack of upgrade of any of those checking in at that time) but can find one for an upsell. (Always separate rooms / reservations, etc.)

For me, Diamond vs. Gold = more points that will eventually assist me in booking free nights. Outside of that, there is no difference.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.