Posts older than 2020 for this OPEN THREAD can be found in the

ARCHIVE THREAD for Hilton London Bankside

Links to moved posts should still work.

Kiwi Flyer
Hilton HHonors forum moderator

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Jan 5, 2022 at 4:53 pm
Old Jan 14, 2020, 11:03 am

Programs: none
Hello! Is it possible to get an upgrade from a King standard room to the One-King bedroom suite at this property? Also, do you think it's best to book non-refundable rates at this property? Thanks!
Old Jan 14, 2020, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by hieunha
Hello! Is it possible to get an upgrade from a King standard room to the One-King bedroom suite at this property? Also, do you think it's best to book non-refundable rates at this property? Thanks!
I’ve had this, but it’s rare. An upgrade to a junior suite is the norm for me now, but I think most people get an upgrade to a preferred room location. This a hotel that values stays within their own hotel rather than diamond status when it comes to upgrade priority in my experience.
Pjh104 and hieunha like this.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 6:24 pm

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by residentx
I’ve had this, but it’s rare. An upgrade to a junior suite is the norm for me now, but I think most people get an upgrade to a preferred room location. This a hotel that values stays within their own hotel rather than diamond status when it comes to upgrade priority in my experience.
Yep, very true..... I’ve had only one full suite upgrade here in many stays.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 3:45 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond
I stay at Bankside maybe 3-5 p.a., usually 1-2 nights, and since it opened. Until 2018 I received a suite or very nice executive room upgrade regularly (always booking standard). But for the last stays it was always no more than a deluxe room, and if lucky higher floor and not to the courtyard... daylight can be at a premium in those rooms thanks to the small windows.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
I think this is a fine hotel but between the meh locale and poor views/daylight I don't see it as a candidate for the best Hilton property in London.
treppenlaeufer likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
I think this is a fine hotel but between the meh locale and poor views/daylight I don't see it as a candidate for the best Hilton property in London.
I still like it as a HIlton. Diamond benes are good and upgrades for me are consistent but they seem to be pricing themselves out of the market these days. There are boutique hotels opening nearby that offer much more of a personal touch with great benefits without having to stay a bazillion nights to earn and are priced below Bankside. I'll try to stay loyal to HH for the earning and redemption but the boss looks at the bottomline $'s not my vacation plans!
Old Jan 15, 2020, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
The hotel is dark in design, but I disagree with the locale and views. Last time I had a view of the shard which was awesome. There is also a lot of good restaurants in the area or a 10min walk away, the rate modern and a good walk along the river. A short stroll to St Paul’s and a nice mall too!
NoY, turtlemichael and MoodyB like this.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 4:52 am

Programs: HH Diamond, BAEC Gold (OWE)
Originally Posted by residentx
The hotel is dark in design, but I disagree with the locale and views. Last time I had a view of the shard which was awesome. There is also a lot of good restaurants in the area or a 10min walk away, the rate modern and a good walk along the river. A short stroll to St Paul’s and a nice mall too!
There are some rooms which do have some pretty rubbish views to be honest, I've stayed in a few myself!

One thing seems to be certain is the prices at the hotel have skyrocketed lately (probably due to tourist groups) and I rarely find them within my company policy nowadays.

I'd say they definitely do value "known" guests over Diamond membership for upgrades. When I stayed frequently before the recent shifts in staff it was quite regular to receive a suite upgrade (incl. the 1 bedrooms) but now I'm lucky to get an executive room even with large availability. Still a great modern hotel with a great executive lounge but sadly over the years its been a reduction in benefits (particularly the mini bar) and an increase in cost.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 4:29 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
My 3rd stay here, and finally got a chance to stay on the very top floor with a room facing the direction of the thames river.
This is the best you'll get in terms of a "room with a view" at this hotel.
Unfortunately, it's a let down....other buildings fully block the view of the river.
I could kind of see the main dome of st paul's cathedral in between 2 much taller buildings....but thats about it.
Do not pay extra to be on a high floor, if you are looking for a better view.

That said, I do like this property, and everything else was very good as usual.
MoodyB likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 3:07 am

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond; UA/*A
Had another first class stay at Bankside recently. I was offered a choice from the breakfast a la carte selection (“complementary because you are a diamond”)
I think the breakfast is fantastic as is the afternoon tea in the lounge.

If I could afford it I would stay here every time I go to London 😀
NoY, wizla and MoodyB like this.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 1:54 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
On the basis of all the encomia in this thread, Mrs999 and I recently stayed at the Hilton Bankside for the first time. We booked an ordinary room with points + cash and received a Diamond upgrade to a deluxe room. The location is interesting; it is not a part of London where we have spent much time before. All of the staff we dealt with were faultless. The executive lounge is very nice indeed. We enjoyed both the afternoon tea and the evening wine & canapes. The breakfast (we took it in the restaurant rather than the lounge) was very good. Our room itself was generally OK but there were several small things we found quite odd. (1) No European power points. Really? In a hotel with high-class pretensions? Even the Hilton Garden at Hatton Cross has these! Now, I know, I know; I do carry an adapter and, I know, I can always borrow one from the concierge. But isn't 'no bother' part of the definition of 'deluxe'? (2) No safe in the room. (3) No Nespresso (or similar) coffee machine -- just a water boiler and a couple of packets of instant coffee. That's just pathetic. I'm afraid we can't agree with those here who think that this is the best Hilton property in London and given the rates we probably won't be going back.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by henry999
On the basis of all the encomia in this thread, Mrs999 and I recently stayed at the Hilton Bankside for the first time. We booked an ordinary room with points + cash and received a Diamond upgrade to a deluxe room. The location is interesting; it is not a part of London where we have spent much time before. All of the staff we dealt with were faultless. The executive lounge is very nice indeed. We enjoyed both the afternoon tea and the evening wine & canapes. The breakfast (we took it in the restaurant rather than the lounge) was very good. Our room itself was generally OK but there were several small things we found quite odd. (1) No European power points. Really? In a hotel with high-class pretensions? Even the Hilton Garden at Hatton Cross has these! Now, I know, I know; I do carry an adapter and, I know, I can always borrow one from the concierge. But isn't 'no bother' part of the definition of 'deluxe'? (2) No safe in the room. (3) No Nespresso (or similar) coffee machine -- just a water boiler and a couple of packets of instant coffee. That's just pathetic. I'm afraid we can't agree with those here who think that this is the best Hilton property in London and given the rates we probably won't be going back.
No spirits in the Executive Lounge?
NoY likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 8:59 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, Amex Plat
No safe in the room? Hardly. Methinks someone didn't look closely enough.
MoodyB likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 10:11 pm

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by NoY
No safe in the room? Hardly. Methinks someone didn't look closely enough.
There is a safe but to be fair it is a little hard to find ...... there is a small wardrobe but it’s plush to the wall.....took me a while.
MoodyB likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.