Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Best Rate Guarantee: Significant discrepancies regarding our hilton.com booking

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2014, 10:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*

This is a long read, hopefully some interested parties can get to the end of it. Cliffs at the very bottom for all others.

We had a major issue with HHrep (Erin) both lying and misleading us on a recent Hilton stay. Other Hilton CS/reps were also blatantly misleading during the process of trying to sort it out.

My parents were coming to visit me in Panama City, Panama and they chose the Hilton Garden Inn as it is practically beside my apartment. My father is a HHonors diamond member.

He booked the HGI on about the 16th Oct, for a 4 night stay starting on the 19th Nov. The rate he booked (on hilton.com) was $76.50/n + 10% tax, which, came to a total of $336.60 inc tax. Within an hour or so he found a rate on amoma.com, which came to a total of 224EUR / $280 USD inc tax. All conditions listed on the rates matched, so the Hiton's BRG applied here and he submitted a BRG claim on hilton.com (within a couple of hours of the booking).

BRG on Hilton says they will match the rate on the 3rd party site and will give an additional $50 off that rate for Panama bookings.

http://hiltonworldwide.hilton.com/en...laimform.jhtml

An issue on the hilton.cm BRG claim for is that when you submit it, the page just refreshes, clearing the form and you are unsure if it is submitted correctly or not - I believe that you do not get an automated email confirming that a BRG claim has been entered. Also, the phone number listed (00 800 888 44 888) on the BRG claim site seems to be invalid.

My father called the USA 1800 number (from Ireland) and was told on the phone by a rep that a BRG:

only applies if one makes a booking on www.hilton.com and later finds a better rate when one phones the hotel concerned directly. It does not apply to other websites
He then called the Irish Hilton number (1 800 409 633), listed here:

https://secure.hilton.com/en/hi/feed...RHUYCSQA0M2VCQ

and was quite surprise when he was connected to a UK Savings & Loan company. He apologised for mis-calling the number, but was told by their rep that they get a lot of HHonors calls every day.

He then tried 00 800 44466677 and after being hung up on the first time, the 2nd call left him being asked to wait for 24 hours to see if the BRG team get back to him. All he wanted on these calls was to see if the form had submitted correctly - clearly if he had waited the 24 hours and the form had not been submitted correctly then any claim he puts in is now invalid.

He filled in the form again, just to make sure and the same refresh happened after hitting submit.

Within 24 hours of submitting the claim, it came back declined as:

The lower rate was found on Amoma a non-compliant site.
Knowing that dealing with CS by email can be a painfully slow and a near pointless process, I said I would post on FT in this area to see if it could be solved:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23693881-post1219.html

HHrep Erin (who, to be fair, got back to me pretty promptly the vast majority of the time) replied within an hour with:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23694052-post1220.html

Originally Posted by HHonorsRepresentative
Opaque sites typically require you to make an advanced non-refundable purchase before being shown the property, therefore these rates aren't honored by our Best Rate Guarantee.
This was to be the first lot of irrelevant information that Erin would supply during the process. I then showed her that Amoma.com is not an opaque site - well at least the rate that my father found was not, here is the rate showing on the 17th October:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23694169-post1221.html

She (presuming from name) replied with the laughable:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23694209-post1222.html

Apologies for any confusion from my response! For the Best Rate Guarantee to be honored, you would have had to make a reservation through a Hilton or HHonors website.
My reply to that nonsense:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23694243-post1223.html

She said that she would investigate it:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23694309-post1224.html

About 12 days later we get the next round of nonsense from Erin:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23756679-post1235.html

The reason Amoma is a non-compliant site in relation to BRGs is that BRGs are only up for valid review if booked via a Hilton or HHonors website. Please send me a PM if you have any other questions!

My response:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23783429-post1239.html and I took it to PMs as she suggested, giving her the booking reference and email address of the account.

She got back with the first blatant misleading statement she would say to me, which also contradicts itself:

I received clarification from my team. Amoma is denied/non-compliant because the rate you received is a packaged rate without the package (should be sold with airlines, cruise, car rental, etc.).

According to the Best Rate Guarantee Terms & Conditions:

"Our Guarantee does not apply to hotel packages or travel packages which may include hotel, airfare, car rental, food and beverage offers or other similar packages or amenities."

I apologize that I'm not able to assist further - please let me know if you have any questions in the future!
I replied with:

It really does not matter what it "should be sold with", that does not concern the customer. The fact is that it was being sold as is, and was freely available to the general public, again not behind any logins, etc, means that Hilton should honour the BRG. In fact, what you quoted at me in your PM does not count here since it clearly did not include any package (as you stated in your first paragraph).

If Hilton have an issue with Amoma, or any OTA, giving lower rates than Hilton.com then you should be glad of customers highlighting this, rewarding that customer with a very cheap $50 off of the lower rate and then contacting the OTA in question to get that rate removed. This is actually one of the main reasons that hotel chains have a BRG in the first place.

It is highly annoying to have this runaround, when the BRG that was reported in this case saves hilton money overall. Please note that I do not consider this matter in anyway closed and really request that the BRG is applied to this reservation.
It really appears to me here that Hilton has no idea why one of the main reasons a BRG exists - it is in the hopes that Hilton’s own customers will scour the internet and find a better rate, Hilton will then get the 3rd party site to remove that rate and reward that customer, instead of having a bunch of people book the lower rate on the 3rd party site, all eating into Hilton’s profits. Hilton are clearly using their BRG to get this service for free, when they do not honor completely legal and correct BRG claims.

The next day Erin got back to me, still playing the amoma.com is a non-compliant site rubbish, but said that:
As a gesture of goodwill, we've readjusted your reservation to reflect the rate of $69.84 per night
So we are finally getting somewhere! However, cheekily enough, the email my father got confirming the new rate of $69.84 was pre tax, so it came to $307.30 rather than the $280 on amoma.com. After pointing out that the amoma.com rate included all taxes, I got back the next blatantly misleading statement from Erin, this is possibly a downright lie in fact:

The difference in rate for the four nights is $26.64. Your confirmed rate is $76.50 a night. The Amoma rate quoted is 56 € a night ($69.84). 76.50 - 69.94 = 6.66 X 4 = 26.64.
She and Hilton both do love to give absolutely random "facts" (sometimes incorrect) and also links to non-relevant pieces of information

I sent her the following:

The Amoma rate includes tax though, the new rate that you issued of $69.84 on the Hilton email is before tax.

Can the new Hilton rate be updated to include tax to become a total of $69.84 per night.
And she replied with:

The quoted Amoma rate was in Euros (56 €). The Hilton reservation was confirmed in US Dollars ($76.50). The conversion for 56.00 € is $69.84.

Both room rates quoted above were exclusive of taxes. Please see excerpt from number 10 of our Best Rate Guarantee Terms and Conditions below for more information.

Our Guarantee does not apply to the following:

Taxes, gratuities, service charges, early departure fees, or other fees and incidental charges.
If the posts in the BRG thread were not clear enough that Erin does not understand basic things about the BRG itself, the above part of a PM should. Again it’s a random & misleading statement, this time about taxes, with a link to their BRG T&Cs. It’s clearly not relevant here.

My reply

The rate at which this BRG was submitted was when Amoma.com was displaying a total rate of 224EUR/$280USD for the 4 nights, including tax, inclusive, not exclusive. That is a total of 56EUR/$70USD per night, including tax. Since Panama City, Panama has a tax rate of 10%, we know that the pre-tax rate is 50.91EUR/$63.64 per night. Either way, the rate that should be matched is a total of 224EUR/$280USD (total), not 224EUR/$280USD before tax. Again, the BRG is not an actual BRG if the rate is not matched to what is shown on the 3rd party site. The rate at which the room was booked on hilton.com is of near complete irrelevance, the only thing that matters is if it is higher than the 3rd party site.

On a side note, I really think it would be best if the BRG terms were explained (correctly) to staff members dealing with these requests, rather than having absolutely irrelevant links and pieces of information being continuously passed on to customer.

Thanks in advance for correcting the rate to what it was on Amoma.com
Erin got back a few days later, on the 17th Nov, saying that it will all be sorted:

After several conversations with my team, we are adjusting your stay to reflect the original Amoma rate. This change should be completed by end of day today or tomorrow morning.

Please note that this is a one-time exception, as Amoma is not compliant. We apologize for the initial confusion and hope you enjoy your stay!
Again with the non-compliant nonsense. This was 2 days before my parents were to arrive at the HGI.

Again, Hilton is either trying to be deceiving or ignorant regarding their BRG, I had to remind them about the additional $50 that should come off the rate. Erin said that it should be applied when the rate was updated that day or the next.

The 19th Nov, Irish time, came and still no new rate received by email, so I sent:

Just updating you that no email has been received and there is no change to the rate when logged into the hilton site to review the reservation.

Today will be filled with travel and the aim is to be checking in at around 11pm local. It would be a further large cause of stress if the rate was not updated before then.

Not sure how much access there will be to the internet while travelling to reply to you today.
First blatant lie now comes from Erin:

My team has reached out to the property today to ensure you will receive the original Amoma rate. Although you might be unable to view online, this rate will be honored upon check out!

Please let me know if you have any issues, and I will be happy to help.
When my parents checked in, my dad asked what his rate was, and he was told it was the original adjusted rate of $307.xx.

I PMd Erin the next day (20th Nov) informing her of this, as it would be great to get it sorted on a weekday, than at a 6am Sunday morning checkout.

She replied saying her team is working on this now!

Anyway, as half expected, Sunday check out came at an early morning departure, the rate was still $307.xx, so my father paid it, rather than go to battle with the FD.

This whole debacle has been an unnecessary headache for my parents, and both my father & I have spent several hours and $$ on this.

I would like for this entire stay to be fully comped by hilton.com as I feel it’s only fair at this stage - or a credit/e-cert of $307 be put onto my father’s HHonors account to be applied vs his next stay.

Also note that we are both very competent computer/internet users and I have "direct" access to a Hilton employee through Flyertalk. I think most people would have given up if the above nonsense was attempted to be dealt with through normal emails to Hilton.

I will also offer my services to Hilton, and this is a serious offer. They are clearly in desperate need of someone to overhaul their BRG procedure, from the claim process right up to what they do once they find a 3rd party site offering such low rates. Erin, or another rep can PM me to discuss how I can greatly assist Hilton in this area.

Oh, for the lols, I just now checked a random 4 night stay within the next 6 weeks on amoma vs Hilton:

looks like they got the amoma.com issue sorted.

I completely agree with and +1 TinDrum’s latest post in the BRG thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23884288-post1265.html

Ty all for reading!

While this is mainly a BRG issue, I really hope this thread can stay open & independent to show how Hilton deals with at least 1 of its BRG claims, rather than getting “lost” in that BRG thread

Cliffs:

- BRG denied due to Hilton nonsense
- BRG rate eventually “applied” after numerous calls, emails & PMs on FT
- Rate still same on check-in, HHrep said it would be fixed at check-out
- Rate still same at check-out
- Fully comped stay requested (or credit cert for full amount)

Hotel Bill (personal info redacted):

Old Nov 24, 2014, 12:02 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
I for one do not see any reason for you to get the 4 nights free.

Neither is the text and tone of your thread title fair.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 12:49 am

Programs: LH Sen, HH Gold
Amazing to see how much time one is willing to waste on a potential saving of USD50
Old Nov 24, 2014, 12:53 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond
This is a mess, BRG can be a mess, and the responses by HH are less than helpful.

But to imply that you were intentionally lied to... that's a stark statement, that probably requires some hard proof rather than just a chain of somewhat unhelpful emails.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 1:44 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Exclamation Thread Alert

The title of this discussion was changed in adherence to this rule which governs FlyerTalk:
Deceptive, Dishonest, Illegal or Fraudulent Posting

Posts that misquote or mischaracterize other posts or members, or contain deceptive, dishonest or knowingly inaccurate information are not allowed.

Supporting, encouraging or promoting illegal activity or fraud upon an individual or company is prohibited.
...as well as this rule:
Avoid Getting Personal

If you have a difference of opinion with another member, challenge the idea — NOT the person. Getting personal with another member is not allowed. Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming will not be tolerated.
With extremely rare exceptions, blatantly disparaging and attacking fellow members of FlyerTalk is not permitted — especially in the title of a discussion — and HHonorsRepresentative is a member of FlyerTalk just as much as you or I.

Absolutely debate the issue and state your case; but please remain respectful when referring to a fellow FlyerTalk member.

Regards,

Canarsie
Co-Moderator, Hilton | Hilton HHonors forum
Old Nov 24, 2014, 5:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Canarsie
The title of this discussion was changed in adherence to this rule which governs FlyerTalk:...as well as...
Understood, thanks for the title change and leaving the discussion in its own thread
Old Nov 24, 2014, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by lowestpaidsap
Amazing to see how much time one is willing to waste on a potential saving of USD50
You obviously don't understand: It's not the $50, it's the principle- hilton offer a "BRG" as a bait to get bookings. Then if the BRG is called in by the customer, they wiggle, deny, give bad info (lies?) about the terms of the BRG. Then they finally make promises they don't keep.

Luckily there are other hotel groups one can turn to.

hilton don't seem to care about that.

(btw I'm the father of the OP)

Last edited by hichachoc; Nov 24, 2014 at 10:00 am Reason: addl info
Old Dec 12, 2014, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Finally, 8 weeks after booking/BRG submission and 2.5 weeks after checking out, this was resolved yesterday.

My father received a cheque for the difference in the rates, and 5,000 HH points as an apology, last week.

After a couple of more emails, they agreed to also process and send a cheque for $50 - albeit calling it for the delay on the issue, rather than for the additional $50 "off" that is advertised in the BRG.

Hopefully this thread, plus the numerous recent complaints in the BRG thread, will show Hilton that there are severe issues when trying to get the BRG that someone is entitled to.

It is very helpful that HHrep (Erin) is on the forum, as emailing Hilton and waiting for a reply is painfully slow. IMO, she should not take everything at face value when told it on the Hilton side, passing incorrect information to members here.

Unfortunately Hilton is still pushing the "not an approved website" nonsense:

Originally Posted by HH BRG Team (email)
I have spoke with management and was advised that the claim was not approved because we are unable price match against Amoma, however, the lower rate was honored. However, due to the delay we will be sending you a refund check for $50.
Hopefully Hilton will work on these issues to allow a smoother process when a customer is submitting a BRG claim
Old Dec 12, 2014, 9:46 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by pmarrsouth
Finally, 8 weeks after booking/BRG submission and 2.5 weeks after checking out, this was resolved yesterday.
Excellent.
It is very helpful that HHrep (Erin) is on the forum, as emailing Hilton and waiting for a reply is painfully slow.
Thank you for giving her a chance and keeping an open mind, as that is a very long way from your original statement of:
We had a major issue with HHrep (Erin) both lying and misleading us on a recent Hilton stay.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 6:38 pm

Programs: Hhonors
BRG with Hilton..

Having issues with Hilton honoring BRG policy. Their BRG site states that there are 2 ways to get a match: submit a web claim or call Hilton.
So after I've made a reservation I'd called Hilton, they verified lower rate with amoma.com and directed me to submit a web claim...When I,ve asked what was the point of checking the rate - was told the only way to get a match is thru web claim. Submitted a claim and it was rejected based on :

Discount or negotiated rates not available to the general public, including but not limited to the following rates...

In my reply I've pointed out that amoma.com is available to a general public.
Hilton reply:
After review of your file, I see that your claim was denied due to this website (Amoma) is what we call a voucher site....

It simply seems that Hilton can designate any site as non-BRG compliant for whatever reason....

I believe my reasons are valid - refusal was based on amoma.com being not available to general public, which is not the case. Not sure what difference does it make how they get their rate. Not to mention guest services verifying a rate and not telling me that amoma.com is not BRG complaint.
Definitely not going to leave it alone.
Can't cancel my reservation because it is prepaid.
Never experienced any BRG issues with Marriott or IHG.
Planning to take this issue to a Hilton top management

Any suggestions ?
Old Sep 1, 2017, 6:07 pm
BPG

Programs: Hilton Honors 1995-2017
BPG Voucher exclusion

I wish that I had done the web search (Hilton BPG scam) that lead me to this thread prior to booking with Hilton.

I just fell victim to the same issue with AMOMA.COM being classified as a voucher site and thus excluded from the Hilton BPG.

It would be nice if under the BPG rules Hilton provided a list of the web sites that they classify as "voucher sites". Of course, this would lead to many lost bookings to AMOMA as well as other web sites.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.