Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spouse has points/I have status

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2014, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Spouse has points/I have status

We want to use some of my wife's points during one of our trips to Italy. If she makes reservation & uses her points, the room won't reflect my status (for upgrades, breakfast,etc.). Any thoughts on the best way to have my status reflected on these stays?
Old Nov 18, 2014, 10:08 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Have her add you as an additional guest. Then call the property and add your HH number. Or have her call HH and book the room in your name only, then call the property and add you HH number (this is probably safer.)
Old Nov 18, 2014, 10:38 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
She can book the room using her points in your name only. Then, likepauleeepaul says, call the hotel and add your HH number. You will then earn the points for any incidentals charged to the room
Old Nov 20, 2014, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Thank you for your responses.

"She can book the room using her points in your name only."
Can she do this online?

"Or have her call HH and book the room in your name only..."
I thought you could only use the points for yourself.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 8:05 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by jabez
Thank you for your responses.

Can she do this online?

"Or have her call HH and book the room in your name only..."
I thought you could only use the points for yourself.
You can use points for anyone you want; I've done it many times, booking for my sister in law's 25th anniversary, friends' anniversaries, etc. etc.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Yes, points can be used for anyone. Status is for your use only. Technically bookings for friends should not receive any benefits based upon your status. However, some properties have been known to do otherwise. So it's a YMMV situation.

As suggested have her book the room in your name and then contact the property to add your HH#. You might be about to send an email, but a call is the best.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by jabez

Can she do this online?
No. She has to call. I do it all the time for my wife. She just have to say that she is making a reward reservation for <hotel name> and <date> and it is for her husband "your name". And then she would ask the person to put down on the notes that her husband (you) are a HH member with status and put down your HH # on the note of the reservation. That should do it.

But if you want to be sure, call the hotel a few days later and make sure everything is in order.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Again, thanks. Calling hotels in Italy doesn't always bring about the desired results.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.