Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

what are your rights as a guest dealing with a noisy group?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2014, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond

I know this has to be a huge issue for hotel management, so here goes:
I was on my 3rd night at the miamisburg Ohio Doubletree last nite, and around 8 PM I heard a lot of noise, slamming doors, running around, etc, but figured it would quiet down.
Around 10:30 it wasnt letting up, so i called the front desk and was told that there was a large group of teens (oh yay!) and they had already been told to quiet down. When I called back at 11, the front desk person said that "maybe he needed to be sterner" and he said "we can move you"--Im completely unpacked having been here all week, and I said cant you speak to the adults that are chaperoning them??
Just curious, what do you do in these situations and what can you expect from management? Is it just basically youre out of luck unless youre willing to move in the middle of the night???
This has only happened occassionally to me through the years, and I've never known what is the right thing to do.
Thanks
Old Nov 14, 2014, 12:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
You could let the front desk know the next call will be to the police....

You're right, they should have called the chaperones and told them to be quiet or get checked out. Sounds like wimpy front desk personnel.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 12:16 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
After 3 calls to the desk, I'd call the police with a disturbing the peace complaint.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 12:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
We had a connecting room with a fraternity party at a MSP hotel a couple years back.

Two calls to hotel security did little. On my third call, I said I was 5 minutes from calling the police - clock starts now. Security miraculously managed to evict about 10 people from that room in the next 2 to 3 minutes.

I didn't call the police, but it wasn't an empty threat. I was literally about 2 minutes away from making the call.

At checkout, the manager was apologetic that they didn't nip the party in the bud much earlier. The hotel comped our room.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 1:03 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
We stayed at a hotel hosting an "Unschooling" conference for one night. Despite two calls to the front desk we could not get any kind of silence in the hallways well into the late evening. Breakfast in the morning was a disaster of unruly, unsupervised, children.

We complained and the stay was comp'ed.

Neil
Old Nov 14, 2014, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I actually thought about threatening to call the police....but eventually they settled down...but it just irks me that the offer is to "we can move you". No, I think the offenders need to be kicked out!!!!
Old Nov 14, 2014, 1:33 pm

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by nlkm9
I actually thought about threatening to call the police....but eventually they settled down...but it just irks me that the offer is to "we can move you". No, I think the offenders need to be kicked out!!!!
Agreed.

How many of the offenders had Diamond status (rhetorical question)?

The hotel's solution is to inconvenience you (an HH D) as opposed to growing a pair and addressing the problem.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 1:50 pm
Suspended

Cool

Originally Posted by missamo80
We stayed at a hotel hosting an "Unschooling" conference for one night. Despite two calls to the front desk we could not get any kind of silence in the hallways well into the late evening. Breakfast in the morning was a disaster of unruly, unsupervised, children.

We complained and the stay was comp'ed.

Neil
^
The breakfast thing I find very annoying. The silly chaperones tell all the kids to come down at once, and like a plague of locusts they snatch all the food. I've begun asking about groups at certain hotels so I can plan accordingly.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 1:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
To me it isn't even a rewards program issue...regardless of the guests' status, the noisy people should be dealt with.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 2:42 pm

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
^
The breakfast thing I find very annoying. The silly chaperones tell all the kids to come down at once, and like a plague of locusts they snatch all the food. I've begun asking about groups at certain hotels so I can plan accordingly.
I have brought students on many trips out of state. Before you blame the chaperones, sometimes the hotel tells us to come down at a certain time. I brought a group of 30 students to DC once and we stayed at an Embassy Suites. When we checked in, the lady at the FD said, "Please bring your entire group down at 8am because this is when we aren't busy." Sure enough, we march down at 8am and the place was packed. I guess business travelers get up early!
Old Nov 14, 2014, 3:21 pm

I have had rooms comped twice due to crazy noisy neighbours.

Once there was literally a full floor of partiers. Hotel was trashed the next day. Front desk guy quit on the spot. I was furious. I asked twice for them to keep it down, front desk guy came up three times. I asked him to call the cops, his boss (not on site) told him no. Never stayed there again.

Second time we just had loud yellers in adjoining room. We moved and got an upgrade. Did not want to move, but I hate adjoining rooms so I was good with it.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 5:07 pm
Suspended

Cool

Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
I have brought students on many trips out of state. Before you blame the chaperones, sometimes the hotel tells us to come down at a certain time. I brought a group of 30 students to DC once and we stayed at an Embassy Suites. When we checked in, the lady at the FD said, "Please bring your entire group down at 8am because this is when we aren't busy." Sure enough, we march down at 8am and the place was packed. I guess business travelers get up early!
That's why I ask at the desk when the group is planned, and get there before. It's frustrating if breakfast opens at 6:30 and the group shows at 6:30, so I've been known to show up at 6:20 and get the first table; did it yesterday at a Park Inn, in fact, to avoid a large trade group.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 5:58 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
If I'm offered to move and already unpacked, I will tell them I am staying in the room but will accept a quiet "sleeping room" and use two rooms. Also, instead of being "comped" I ask for (in writing) an equivalent amount of points for the nights stay so I get credit.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 6:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Don't threaten to call the police. Just call the police. Tell them that the hotel staff are unable to cope and you're worried that someone will get hurt. No need to put up with it.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Often1
Don't threaten to call the police. Just call the police. Tell them that the hotel staff are unable to cope and you're worried that someone will get hurt. No need to put up with it.
why? What do you gain? You'll probably be bothered to help fill out a police report and other annoying details. What you want is peace and quiet and the 'threat' will do the job

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.