Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cancellation Guidelines Update

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2014, 6:54 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta
Uhhh.... I just booked a couple nights in SLC for a long-ways-out stay in August.

Cancellation policy at this hotel has always been reasonable.

I note it came up as "Must cancel ***39 DAYS IN ADVANCE*** to avoid penalties."

I've never seen anything near that far out. What's up with that?

TDM
Old Nov 16, 2014, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
First off, thanks to HHR for proactively sharing this with us.

In the end though I'm pretty disappointed by this. It would be interesting to find out the CX rate at hotels that have say 6pm day of arrival CX deadlines.

I have been used to HH having many properties that have a CX deadline this late, and it has been nice for when business plans change last minute. Seems like the industry is all going this way, but sad to see HH implement this across the board.

Will this impact my decision choices? Probably, not significantly but it will as having a later CX time gives me more flexibility.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant
Uhhh.... I just booked a couple nights in SLC for a long-ways-out stay in August.

TDM
Have you checked the local convention calendar? There might be a big event going on in SLC during your intended stay...

The Hilton Santa Fe had a similar long-lead time cancellation policy in connection with some events that were going on one weekend (30 days in advance, as I recall).
Old Nov 18, 2014, 8:23 am

Programs: AC50K, HH Dia.
Bad move on Hilton's part

I stay 100+ nights at Hilton's, I will have to move to last minute bookings for about half of the nights. So if the Hilton is sold out I will stay at another chain, most of my staff is in the same boat.
Did a fast calculation for our company, Hilton will lose about 1000 room nights per year.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 12:41 pm

Programs: HH D
I think Hilton's biggest problem is people that make two reservations for the same night and cancel one at the last moment. Suppose you had to pay a $20 or even a $50 cancellation fee, would that make it easier for you?

Or could the Hilton website sell optional insurance of like 3% for a last minute cancellation?
Old Nov 18, 2014, 2:51 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, B6, BA (airline status-free leisure traveler), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Gr.Dane
I stay 100+ nights at Hilton's, I will have to move to last minute bookings for about half of the nights. So if the Hilton is sold out I will stay at another chain, most of my staff is in the same boat.
Did a fast calculation for our company, Hilton will lose about 1000 room nights per year.
If said Hilton is sold out, then what is Hilton going to lose out on? On sell out nights they are just selling the rooms to someone else not named you.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 10:52 am

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant

TDM
If your res is around 8/4-8, that when every hotel room and campsite around Salt Lake City is taken up for the Outdoor Retailers convention… Happens every year around that time.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 12:42 pm

Programs: AC50K, HH Dia.
Originally Posted by loomis
If said Hilton is sold out, then what is Hilton going to lose out on? On sell out nights they are just selling the rooms to someone else not named you.
It comes down to, if you are not 100% sure and there is a small chance you need to cancel don't book with Hilton you book with another chain who has a more flexible policy. So far this year out of 112 nights I have had 9 cancellations, some where I stayed at a Hilton in a different city.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 11:35 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Gr.Dane
It comes down to, if you are not 100% sure and there is a small chance you need to cancel don't book with Hilton you book with another chain who has a more flexible policy. So far this year out of 112 nights I have had 9 cancellations, some where I stayed at a Hilton in a different city.
This.

I've rarely cancelled the same day, but with lots of travel it was nice to be able to watch my travel plans fall apart because of weather, mechanical issues or other reasons out of my control and be able to call, cancel (and attempt alternative plans for lodging).

In conditions where these issues are possible, we've now been put on notice we'll receive no support and even lose our money with no gain at all (lose booking, stay / day credit and points, lose money).

This removes flexibility from the properties willing to accept a modest degree of risk as well.

My response must be, during times of the year with sketchier weather and complex destinations, to manage my risks and book properties (competing with local Hilton properties) at those times. I do hope I remember to notify any Hilton properties I might book and not be able to show up at at the last minute, but it's really a quid pro quo: I'm less important to them, I'm going to lose my money anyway, so I really don't have much incentive and am likely to have more pressing issues.

I'm sure this move pleases the Heart of Black Stone , as have many other recent moves that devalue our "loyalty" and use of points. (Flexible points scam, Gold for $95, loss of courtesy HSI, et al ad nausea,).

Interesting how Blackstone / Hilton remove flexibility from properties willing to stand out by offering better services, paired by extreme reluctance to enforce those policies dealing with properties being required to meet standards and minima.

While I do appreciate Erin's presence, and certainly Barbour no ill will toward the messenger, I do have to ask "Anyone feel their 'loyalty' to Hilton / HHonors waning?"

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 21, 2014 at 11:55 am
Old Nov 27, 2014, 2:39 pm

My company has for years listed Hilton properties as "preferred", Several of us sent in to the travel desk to allow us the flexibility to move away from Hilton.

In the US we have about 500 people with corporate travel privileges, globally probably 500 more. I hope Hilton thought this thru.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 5:12 pm
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by HHonorsRepresentative
Hi all,

I wanted to share a quick update with you. We are updating our reservation cancellation guidelines to a minimum of 11:59 p.m. local hotel time the day prior to arrival, and you will be required to provide a credit card at the time of booking.

These changes will go into effect on January 1, 2015. As always, cancellation policies may still vary depending on the rate or dates of your reservation, and some hotels have more restrictive policies in place, so please refer to your individual confirmations to verify their policy.

We’re making this change so that we can provide you with a more consistent booking process and make more rooms available for when you need last minute travel accommodations.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out within this thread or through PM and I will do my best to share updates with you all.

Thanks!
Erin
No Erin:

Hilton did this because they saw airlines grabbing monies at every corner and they wondered how they can get on the band wagon. Be honest about it.

Here is what Hilton forgot; at the same time they were smacking the casual vacation travelers around; they were rewarding their best customers with better lounges/meals/booze/seats etc. They also do not charge their best customers the luggage fees the "little people" get hit with.

Does Hilton really think I can turn in hotel receipts when I don't actually stay in the hotel? Hell NO I can't. The 4-6 times a year when I do cancel is because my schedule can be shifted so I can get home to my family earlier, and you want to PENALIZE ME FOR THAT when I have spent 120 nights this year in your hotels?

REALLY, THAT IS WHAT HILTON THINKS OF ME AS A CUSTOMER?

Going through reservations for Q1 2015 now.... it's a regular cancelfest.

I have no problem staying in a Drury or a Best Western, NONE.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/18/bu...ions.html?_r=1

Hilton could easily say, Silver has until 6AM of day of reservation, Gold noon, and Diamond 6PM

Last edited by Canarsie; Dec 9, 2014 at 8:02 pm Reason: Consolidation.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 11:12 pm

Some hotels that had cancellation of midnight day before, when I'd cancel the same day at the hotel they never charged me (though they could have). Will the hotels still have the capability to waive the fee?

That reminds me, this summer I was to travel to Manhattan, and had a reservation at one of the new HGI's, which had a midnight cancellation policy. I cancelled at 1205 am (905pm PDT) and the lady said I'd be charged the full amount of the room which was $300.00 even though I was only 5 minutes late. It took about a month to show up on my credit card though. Very disappointed in that property.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 5:43 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mstan
Some hotels that had cancellation of midnight day before, when I'd cancel the same day at the hotel they never charged me (though they could have). Will the hotels still have the capability to waive the fee?

That reminds me, this summer I was to travel to Manhattan, and had a reservation at one of the new HGI's, which had a midnight cancellation policy. I cancelled at 1205 am (905pm PDT) and the lady said I'd be charged the full amount of the room which was $300.00 even though I was only 5 minutes late. It took about a month to show up on my credit card though. Very disappointed in that property.
I had a similar experience at a Hyatt Place. I knew it was same day cancellation, it is one of my criteria for making the reservation. But, it was 4 p.m. not the 6 p.m. I was used to at the Hilton brands. I called at 4:05 and found out I was late. I explained I was usually a Hilton customer and had not focused on the 2 hour difference. They gave me a "one time" reprieve.

OT: This week my schedule went south and I needed to stay an extra day. I asked the front desk at my Hyatt Place for a one day extension. Much of the time at Hilton properties I am charged a significant up charge so I will check rates a different hotels and move. The front desk said my rate was not valid for the next day but the manager quickly overrode that and extended the rate. OK, two thumbs up for the Hyatt Place. One more reason to give them my business. Finally, I had a personal, hand-written note in my room on check in. Classy. I know, Hilton forum. If this continues, I will be hanging around less.

Last edited by InkUnderNails; Dec 10, 2014 at 5:50 am
Old Dec 10, 2014, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by underpressure
...Going through reservations for Q1 2015 now.... it's a regular cancelfest....

Reservations made prior to 1/1/2015 can still be canceled based on the current guidelines, right? I just made all my reservations through June, and the "fare rules" all stipulated either 4pm or 6pm day-of-arrival.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA G 1.9MM, HH Diamond, Global Entry
Originally Posted by zachary
Maybe I've just been lucky, but I've never had a hotel actually make me pay when I've had to cancel after the deadline because my flight was cancelled. I just call the hotel directly and explain what happened. They've always let me cancel or reschedule.
My experience as well or call the Diamond desk and they have been able to take care of it. Of course I tend to stay at the same properties on my travels, so they can see that I have a record of using them over and over.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.