Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cancellation Guidelines Update

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2014, 11:40 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by Truffles
I may be missing something here, and I am far from being an apologist for Hilton, but I can fully understand their stance on no longer allowing same-day cancellations if the practice of booking a room just in case there are flight or other travel problems is as widespread as it seems from the above comments. While they can overbook, just like airlines, if there is inclement weather they would end up not only having to accommodate more bookings than there are rooms, but they also have no rooms for all the other travellers affected by the weather.

On the other hand, this practice, for al I know, may only affect airport properties, so perhaps there is room for Hilton to finesse the requirement by limiting it to certain hotels only.
This is true in the case of poor weather at the hotel's location. Not so much for the location from which the traveler is departing. It doesn't matter if, for example, it's sunny or below minimums at Seattle - if I can't fly out of my town because the weather crapped out here then I will be penalized.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 11:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bigbuy
Since me and my girlfriend mostly fly on a standby basis, I will no longer consider Hilton on the first night of my intended arrival. Both me and my girlfriend are former Diamonds, now Gold, so I will inform her (she loves Hilton) also. It's too bad, as Hilton is our preferred chain.
I have found lately that www.booking.com generally has the most lenient cancellaton policies.
Although I dont fly on a SBY basis, last year many 1st nights had to be CXed , since I wasnt able to reach my destination due to flights being CXed or missed due to the snow. All this mean sto me is not booking with Hilton ever again for my 1st nights stay or any time Im not 100% positive that my plans wont be changing. This is especially true for Intl reses, where by the time you find out your flight has been CXed its already passed 11:59pm where you were heading to

Just another DUMB Greedy move on Hiltons part

Sorry but I dont believe a single word of the Spin Doc (HHRep) its simply just anyway Hilton has thought up of adding to its bottom line. Time to move on from Hilton and never look back, seeing 135,298,298,298 pts per night for an award stay wont be missed. Ever since they took away the Diamond force and then teh fixed amount of miles Ive been staying with Marriott where Im about to cross into LTP status.Not that MR hasnt had its share of negations but no where IMO as Hilton has done
Old Nov 10, 2014, 11:44 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I may be missing something here, and I am far from being an apologist for Hilton, but I can fully understand their stance on no longer allowing same-day cancellations if the practice of booking a room just in case there are flight or other travel problems is as widespread as it seems from the above comments.
I don't think the above comments reflect a practice of booking a room in case of travel problems. At least for me, I book a room intending to stay at my destination. It is almost never an airport hotel. (If I am overnighting, then I do book an airport hotel). But if something goes wrong and I can't get there, then under the new policy, I can't cancel and I'm stuck.

I've missed connections and had to cancel right before the deadline. Not an airport hotel.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 11:46 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Someone is going to post that this is what trip insurance is for.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 11:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by manneca
I don't think the above comments reflect a practice of booking a room in case of travel problems. At least for me, I book a room intending to stay at my destination. It is almost never an airport hotel. (If I am overnighting, then I do book an airport hotel). But if something goes wrong and I can't get there, then under the new policy, I can't cancel and I'm stuck.

I've missed connections and had to cancel right before the deadline. Not an airport hotel.
Problem is say youre heading to London thats 5 hrs ahead , you better not book a flight that leaves after 6pm east coast time since thats 11pm UK.If you do and your flight CXs any flight after 7pm will mean having to eat the hotel night, its worse when youre heading to Asia or DownUnder where its 12-14 hrs ahead that would mean having to fly out by 9am to be covered. Or simply book at any other chain and know if things hit the fan they will understand (unlike Hilton) and CX your 1st night (or only night) at no charge to you.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 11:54 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by Eagle_and_Hawk
I guess it it's past the 11:59PM, day before cancellation, no need to call and cancel if I am going to be charged for it anyway. The hotel can just keep the reservation until check out the next morning. A win-win for Hilton as still get the money for the room, and not have to clean it or provide services/meals that night.

Meanwhile, a traveler who just got their plans cancelled, can't stay there, because there are no rooms available. Not that Hilton will care, as see above......
Thanks for not calling and keep that room from being used by another traveler. The reason someone can't stay there is because "YOU" opted not to call not because Hilton wants it go go empty.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by tkelvin69
Thanks for not calling and keep that room from being used by another traveler. The reason someone can't stay there is because "YOU" opted not to call not because Hilton wants it go go empty.
Actually, the reason is that the guy paid for it and Hilton won't let him cancel and free up the room. Since the hotel is keeping his money, what ethical rule requires him to expend more effort contacting the hotel so it can sell the room twice and make even more money?

Hilton should contemplate the law of unintended consequences. Adversarial stance begets more of the same.

They always do. But if you buy trip insurance for, say, 20 trips per year and use it once, it's going to be far more costly than eating one night's lodging. Especially if you bought it for cheap on Priceline.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 12:37 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by HHonorsRepresentative
please feel free to reach out within this thread or through PM and I will do my best to share updates with you all.
What a cruddy policy...do let us know if the bean counters reverse it! Otherwise big to Hilton for this move!
Old Nov 10, 2014, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by tkelvin69

I have never had to cancel a room the same day in 25+ years of road warrior & leisure travel. My point is if this is the stance Hilton is going to take, there is the flip side of it. Maybe I "thought" I was not going to make it to the hotel, and it was past cancellation. Then, 5-6 hours later, the plans change and I get there. Since I am stuck paying for a reservation, then I expect to be able to check in, all the way up until one minute before check out. Now if I cancelled the reservation that morning under the current rules, and my plans changed, then my own fault and I have to take what I can get.

The hotel could be losing more money because I did not physically check in. What if I decided to eat dinner or spend $$ at the bar with friends. They kept the room rate, and lost other revenue that might have been spent by someone actually staying.

It's not cut & dry, just two different views of what they are doing and I am sure in their mind, it's what profits the most.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 1:05 pm

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
So true.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
My Diamond Status will be in Jeopardy

My only cancellations have been because I could not physically get to the hotel, primarily because of flight disruptions. I will have to take this policy into consideration when travelling next year and look for more travel friendly accommodations. Anyone know offhand which chains do not have this archaic policy?
Old Nov 10, 2014, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Eagle_and_Hawk
The hotel could be losing more money because I did not physically check in. What if I decided to eat dinner or spend $$ at the bar with friends. They kept the room rate, and lost other revenue that might have been spent by someone actually staying.
Whereas if a Diamond or other high-value customer is the victim of this policy once, and takes his/her business elsewhere as a result, the hotel has squandered thousands in future revenue to hang onto a few bucks here and now. Screw-the-customer policies like this never seem to account for the lifetime value of some of the customers on the receiving end.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 1:47 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BearX220
Whereas if a Diamond or other high-value customer is the victim of this policy once, and takes his/her business elsewhere as a result, the hotel has squandered thousands in future revenue to hang onto a few bucks here and now. Screw-the-customer policies like this never seem to account for the lifetime value of some of the customers on the receiving end.
I wonder if this even applies to Diamond members. If so, Starwood here I come.

Sometimes factors make it so you can't get to the city where the hotel is. Usually, I call the property directly or the Diamond desk. Hilton will be shooting themselves in the foot with frequent business travelers.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 1:56 pm

Programs: LH FTL, HH ♢, HGP P, Accor P
Originally Posted by HHonorsRepresentative
Hi all,

I wanted to share a quick update with you. We are updating our reservation cancellation guidelines to a minimum of 11:59 p.m. local hotel time the day prior to arrival, and you will be required to provide a credit card at the time of booking.

These changes will go into effect on January 1, 2015. As always, cancellation policies may still vary depending on the rate or dates of your reservation, and some hotels have more restrictive policies in place, so please refer to your individual confirmations to verify their policy.

We’re making this change so that we can provide you with a more consistent booking process and make more rooms available for when you need last minute travel accommodations.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out within this thread or through PM and I will do my best to share updates with you all.

Thanks!
Erin
Just another 'enhancement' like we see in the airline business.... Bad news for most of us

Just wondering what 'enhancements' will be next....

So the price of the Easy cancellation rate will go down? Since it's less special as it is less flexible? .... I bet not
Old Nov 10, 2014, 1:57 pm

Programs: LH FTL, HH ♢, HGP P, Accor P
Originally Posted by shadowbozo
I wonder if this even applies to Diamond members. If so, Starwood here I come.

Sometimes factors make it so you can't get to the city where the hotel is. Usually, I call the property directly or the Diamond desk. Hilton will be shooting themselves in the foot with frequent business travelers.
Interesting. Will look into Starwood indeed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.