Community
Wiki Posts
Search

And The Good Guys Win a Round

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2014, 9:08 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I'm both a dog owner and a businessman. I don't think its fair on other people to leave your dog in the room alone disturbing others. After all I'm no more important than anyone else, let alone more important then 10 other people.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium Marriott Platinum for life.
Originally Posted by inpd
The Case of the Telepathic Guide Dog

Hi,

I checked into the Hampton Inn and Suites at Reno, noticed a crowd in the lobby waiting for a manager.

Go to my room and then start hearing it. A dog has been left in the room unattended. Its a small dog yapping away loudly constantly and clearly no one is in the room.

I join the crowd down stairs. The manger has now shown up and is saying how the owner has the required documentation and its a "guide dog" and there is nothing they can do about it. We point out that if its a guide dog how come its in the room without the owner. She has the nerve to tell us to go back to our rooms and live with this. We are talking about 10+ people here.

Then I remember the Hampton promise, if your not 100% happy you don't have to pay. So I tell her I'm not 100% happy and I won't be paying. Soon everyone is doing this.

Low and behold now the manager can do something about this. She calls up to the room and finds there is no one there. She goes into the room and takes the dog out and when the owner comes back (after dinner) tells them they need to find another hotel.

Problem solved.

I didn't see it but heard from another guest it was just a pet for an older lady.

Unfortunately, these people abusing the emotion animal legislation will ruin it for the people who really need it.
^
Old Oct 21, 2014, 12:59 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Just to confirm, my stays are at UK Hilton's and around 50% accept small dogs......." Alfie" is a parson Russell , he's ex show dog extremely well trained only barks on command and has never defecated indoors .......however I do agree , I have stayed in hotels where I can hear dog noise at night.....it's annoying.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 9:23 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Smile

Stayed at the LaQuinta Resort when had an issue with an unattended barking dog. Manager gave me a different sleeping room, free dinner, and 50,000 points. Sort of makes me wish it happens more often.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:25 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, AA Plat. Pro
Originally Posted by inpd
I'm both a dog owner and a businessman. I don't think its fair on other people to leave your dog in the room alone disturbing others. After all I'm no more important than anyone else, let alone more important then 10 other people.

This! ^^^
Old Oct 22, 2014, 1:59 pm

Programs: HH diamond
Many hotels, not just Hilton family, are accepting pets. But many also put on a weight restriction.

I know someone who got a mail order "service dog" certificate in order to do an end run around these restrictions and also to take their dog on airplanes and other places for free. Needless to say, their dogs are NOT service dogs and do not behave like service dogs (quite rambunctious and noisy). It is very obvious they are not service dogs.
However, the owner is hiding behind the ADA (she has no disabilities) law that prevents anyone from asking for proof of her dog's training or what her disability is. She claims to have seizures bad enough that she needs a "service dog". However, she failed to report her "seizure disorder" to the driving license administrator which would immediately revoke her license for poorly controlled/uncontrolled seizures or her medical insurance company or her disability insurance company, etc which would all increase her rates. That's because she has no seizure disorder (and of course has no medical documentation).

I wonder what would happen if one of the dogs knocks someone over and injures that person.

It is unclear from the OP post if the dog was claimed to be a service animal (sounds like not). Obviously, if left in a room alone, can't really be one. But would the ADA be up in arms if the hotel made someone with a "service dog" with fake credentials leave even though the animal is a nuisance/danger?
Old Oct 23, 2014, 12:21 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by travelinfoo
But would the ADA be up in arms if the hotel made someone with a "service dog" with fake credentials leave even though the animal is a nuisance/danger?
There are no ADA police. If a private business such Hilton violates ADA, the remedy for the aggrieved person is to bring a lawsuit against the business.

A service dog must be under control. A business would be 100% within its rights to ask a customer to remove a service dog exhibiting any of these kind of behaviors:

1. Raising its leg
2. Showing aggression of any kind such as ears batted back, growling, persistent barking.
3. Jumping on other customers, etc.

The hotel is not making any judgment that the dog is or is not a "service dog", but simply that it is out of its owner's control. That is all that's required. Owner of a service dog has to maintain control over the animal.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 8:35 am

Programs: HH Diamond, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Bowgie
There are no ADA police. If a private business such Hilton violates ADA, the remedy for the aggrieved person is to bring a lawsuit against the business.

1. Raising its leg
There are fines for violating the ADA that do not require a lawsuit to be brought, you simply report the business.

Raising a leg to pee is certainly not going to automatically disqualify a dog as being a service animal, particularly if the dog is in training.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 2:00 pm

Programs: HH diamond
Originally Posted by ericgdukie44
There are fines for violating the ADA that do not require a lawsuit to be brought, you simply report the business.

Raising a leg to pee is certainly not going to automatically disqualify a dog as being a service animal, particularly if the dog is in training.
This sounds like a very murky area. A business can be fined for violating the ADA for kicking out an entitled, arrogant person who bought fake service dog credentials for his/her obviously non-service dog?! Hum . . . What happened to proof before fines? Wouldn't the person have to prove the dog has proper training instead of just producing a piece of paper purchased off the internet?
Old Oct 23, 2014, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by travelinfoo
This sounds like a very murky area. A business can be fined for violating the ADA for kicking out an entitled, arrogant person who bought fake service dog credentials for his/her obviously non-service dog?! Hum . . . What happened to proof before fines? Wouldn't the person have to prove the dog has proper training instead of just producing a piece of paper purchased off the internet?
No one is saying that ADA fines are automatic. Just because a violation/crime is reported doesn't mean it will even be investigated. (Anyone who has ever reported a stolen bicycle probably knows that.)

If someone did report this incident (and it was investigated), I can't imagine any fines would result. All the hotel would need is an incident report or MOD report that noted the disturbance. Case closed.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 6:24 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by writerguyfl
No one is saying that ADA fines are automatic. Just because a violation/crime is reported doesn't mean it will even be investigated. (Anyone who has ever reported a stolen bicycle probably knows that.)

If someone did report this incident (and it was investigated), I can't imagine any fines would result. All the hotel would need is an incident report or MOD report that noted the disturbance. Case closed.
I think where it gets murky is the situation I described. Does the rights of one ADA individual outweigh the rights of others? This is specially tricky with the Hampton guarantee that we all invoked. I'm all for letting in guide dogs into a hotel, but I'm also a paying customer and if I can't sleep due to a dog barking I'm not going to be satisfied.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.