Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Waldorf Astoria New York {US-NY}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Waldorf Astoria New York {US-NY}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2014, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Stayed there over this past weekend in a "Superior" King room. It was just ok...TV was snowy, bathroom not as functional as most I've seen in a Holiday Inn Express (no place to put our toiletry bags), and a woman in the next room was yelling in to her phone (loud enough to wake us repeatedly) off and on for three hours starting at 6 AM Sunday morning (not the hotel's fault, of course). To top it off the line at reception was 15 minutes long to check out at 10:45 AM that day. Good grief.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I don't see property ownership transactions (they occur all the time) as particularly relevant to FlyerTalk unless there's a specific plan announced to deflag or otherwise end HHonors participation.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 1:36 pm

Location: USA - HNL, SEA, DEN, ORD, MCO, and all points inbetween
Programs: Way too many!
OP:

Thanks for posting this as I'd missed it. I stay here on occasion when in NYC. Although I'm not surprised by the sale, I am somewhat surprised it went to an "Insurance Company". But, what are the Chinese NOT buying these days?
Old Oct 6, 2014, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Huh? They did major renovations not long ago to restore the place. The post renovation public areas of the Waldorf Astoria (not the Waldorf Towers side) were beautiful. It's a big contrast to the cheap tour groups that seem to fill the hotel. However, the regular rooms have impressed me as small and in need of work--not unique for a well-known NYC hotel--since before it became a Hilton. Suites in the Towers are nice, generally large for NYC and with a residential feel, but must seem dated if no major work has been done since I last stayed here, maybe about ten years ago.
Last time I was there was around 10 years ago, too. I had a room in the Towers (nice guy upgrade on a Priceline stay). The room was quite nice, and the bedding was so good I had to check the brand (and buy it for myself): Frette.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Bonehead
TV was snowy
I didn't even think snowy TV was possible anymore.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 11:28 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I'm using my credit card 2 free nights here. I'm offered a regular suite ( on estandby ) for $89, a signature suite for $129 or a towers king bed suite for $179 ( the towers includes continental breakfast, but that isn't a big point). I'm booked in a superior room.

We like suites. Do any of these sound enticing? Are the suites in better shape than the rooms)?

(I was going to use the nights in Bora Bora, but got an OWB at the Thallasos on points instead)
Old Oct 7, 2014, 12:07 am

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
Originally Posted by diver858
[I]Under the agreement, Anbang will allow Hilton to continue to operate the property for the next 100 years....
I am willing to go out on a limb and predict that at the end of 100 years the W.A. award will run one billion HHonors points per nights. Future flyer talkers, please feel free to dig up this thread and flame me if I'm incorrect.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium Marriott Platinum for life.
Hilton has lost three or four Waldorfs the last few years.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 7:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Hilton is hardly losing it if the new buyers will pay Hilton to run the hotel.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 9:28 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Hilton is hardly losing it if the new buyers will pay Hilton to run the hotel.
No this is a great deal for Hilton, sell at pretty much peak or close to peak of the real estate market, retain management fee revenue for 100 years and it now has a chunk of cash to reinvest in other prospects with higher potential.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 10:10 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Jailer
I am willing to go out on a limb and predict that at the end of 100 years the W.A. award will run one billion HHonors points per nights. Future flyer talkers, please feel free to dig up this thread and flame me if I'm incorrect.
At that point we'll likely have to dig you up to recieve your flaming

[and me too ]
Old Oct 7, 2014, 9:56 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Any thoughts?
Old Oct 8, 2014, 3:05 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, DL PM, Hertz President's Circle
Beachfan - If you like suites, I would select the estandby for the signature AND tower suite to up your chance of an upgrade. As of this summer, the diamond office told me that they handled complimentary upgrades for Diamonds to the category booked in the Waldorf up to the Towers. When there is availability, they upgrade diamonds from superior rooms to tower rooms, and when diamonds book suites they upgrade the suite to a similar suite in the tower. The suites are not that much more expensive than the regular rooms (sometimes you can book a suite for just 49.00/more a night), so they often sell out of those before superior and luxury rooms. I wouldn't count on an upgrade at check-in to a suite without e-standby.

That said, I've been upgraded to a suite every stay but one, in which I was assigned a high floor, corner superior room with walk-in closet that was lovely (2639) and did not have any wallpaper pieling or issues other posters have noted. My least favorite suite was 25K for what that's worth. The diamond office (Jackie and Mary) always assign the best rooms to Diamonds even if they can't upgrade. Enjoy the charm of the hotel! You'll also receive at least two cocktail vouchers worth $20.00 each.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 3:26 pm

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by Michael19887
Beachfan - If you like suites, I would select the estandby for the signature AND tower suite to up your chance of an upgrade. As of this summer, the diamond office told me that they handled complimentary upgrades for Diamonds to the category booked in the Waldorf up to the Towers. When there is availability, they upgrade diamonds from superior rooms to tower rooms, and when diamonds book suites they upgrade the suite to a similar suite in the tower. The suites are not that much more expensive than the regular rooms (sometimes you can book a suite for just 49.00/more a night), so they often sell out of those before superior and luxury rooms. I wouldn't count on an upgrade at check-in to a suite without e-standby.

That said, I've been upgraded to a suite every stay but one, in which I was assigned a high floor, corner superior room with walk-in closet that was lovely (2639) and did not have any wallpaper pieling or issues other posters have noted. My least favorite suite was 25K for what that's worth. The diamond office (Jackie and Mary) always assign the best rooms to Diamonds even if they can't upgrade. Enjoy the charm of the hotel! You'll also receive at least two cocktail vouchers worth $20.00 each.
I've also received some great suite upgrades there as a diamond. For my who is a gold (and earned gold, not through a credit card if that matters), never gets suite upgrades there.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 8:27 pm

Thanks for the tips!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.