Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Currency exchange rate for base point calculation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2014, 1:45 am
Original Poster

I live in the UK and had a stay in a Hampton hotel last Friday. The room rate was £44.10 which, by Google, is equivalent to roughly 71 USD. However, I received only 598 base points from this stay.

I looked into a few stays in the last month and they seemed to have the same problem. Not sure if Hilton is using a very poor exchange rate, or am I missing anything here?
Old Sep 29, 2014, 1:49 am

Programs: AF/KL Plat for Life, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Accor Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC

are you sure the GBP amount stated is before taxes? Adding 20% to your points comes pretty close to USD71 times 10
Old Sep 29, 2014, 1:57 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
In my experience Hilton is sometimes using a not very good exchange rate for stays in Europe. They do best for Euros ( rate is OK ), not always so very good for other currencies, and pretty bad for UK.
I had a few stays in the UK earlier in the year and noticed this. A markedly difference between points received and the conversion rate according to my bank.
I did not pursue it as I thought I had maybe overlooked some tax part of the payment ( no points for tax ).
I only have only had three stays in the UK, so not a lot of experience. Someone else who stays a lot in the UK can answer you better.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 2:11 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
Looked at my old reservations for UK and all three quote a VAT-included price. One of them even says Taxes = 0
So I assumed that there was no tax involved in the price.
But of course there is VAT (20% as mentioned earlier) so that explains the difference between points given and conversion rate very well, I think.
( Thank you SteamyUncle ).
Old Sep 29, 2014, 3:14 am
Original Poster

Thanks StreamyUncle and helosc, I think the VAT is the reason behind.

Had a look in Hilton's terms and conditions but didn't see terms regarding the taxes (only quotes "room rate"), but maybe it's hidden somewhere :P
Old Sep 29, 2014, 3:35 am
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
I believe this is the cut and paste response from Hhonors if you ask them a question which includes the keywords "exchange rate"

Completely had nothing to do with my question that I asked but looks to be their stock answer to your question (not that it is particularly useful as a response to your question either

Thank you for your inquiry regarding the exchange rate. We appreciate you taking the time to contact us.

I apologize for the delay. Points awarded for stays at hotels within the Hilton Worldwide portfolio outside the U.S. will be based on local currency converted to U.S. dollars. This rate will be determined at our sole discretion, based on standard currency conversion methods but may vary from currency conversion rates used by credit card companies.

Please note that continued modifications of your stay posting after the departure date can be affected by the exchange rate that is constantly changing. I apologize as we are not able to provide further modifications to the stay to apply a previous exchange rate.

As a means of assisting you today, I have credited 4,000 points to your account.

Only adding this as a curiosity, I am sure the VAT is your explanation too
Old Sep 29, 2014, 4:25 am

Programs: HH diamond
Originally Posted by strayersong

Had a look in Hilton's terms and conditions but didn't see terms regarding the taxes (only quotes "room rate"), but maybe it's hidden somewhere :P
All taxes and service charges are specifically excluded from earning base points.

The Hiltons in the UK now include the VAT in the quoted prices. Previously, only the room rate was listed with a notation that VAT would be 20% and added later. however, base points are still only calculated WITHOUT any taxes, i.e., not the price you are quoted but minus the bundled VAT.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by strayersong

From the terms and conditions:
8.The term "eligible folio charges" for Hilton®, Conrad® Hotels and Resorts, Curio - A Collection by Hilton, DoubleTree by Hilton™ Embassy Suites®, Hilton Garden Inn®, Hilton Grand Vacations® and Waldorf Astoria* hotels shall mean: room rate, food and beverage, telephone, laundry, pay-per-view movies, entertainment and recreational facilities, and other incidental charges charged to the Member's room during the Member's stay. Dining room or other charges not billed to a Member's room during a stay are not eligible for credit. Such hotels within the Hilton Worldwide portfolio may omit for purposes of point accrual, incidental charges by non-affiliated hotel entities which are not owned and/or operated by the hotel including, but not limited to, food and beverage outlets, gift shop, drugstore, clothes, gallery or specialty stores, recreational or entertainment concessions. The term "eligible folio charges" for Hampton Inn®, Hampton Inn & Suites®, Home2 Suites by Hilton®, and Homewood Suites by Hilton® hotels mean room rate only. Charges in connection with banquets or other catering functions are not considered "eligible folio charges" for purposes of point accrual, with the exception of points earned from qualifying meetings or events through the Hilton HHonors Event Planner and the Event Bonus Programs. Folio charges incurred during an ineligible stay are not considered "eligible folio charges."
9.Any applicable federal, state or local taxes, including, without limitation, city occupancy tax, are not considered "eligible folio charges" and will be omitted for purposes of point accrual for hotel stays.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.