Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Should I ask Hilton for compensation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2014, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, HH

I am staying at Double Tree Moscow right now. They've been opened for about a week now. This is a very nice hotel with welcoming and accommodating staff.

There are few issues, though.

The lounge is not ready yet. To compensate I was offered free drinks at the bar. While I stayed at other Hilton properties, I could get some snacks in the afternoon, and I am missing this.

The swimming pool is not open yet. I was really looking forward to this, especially after 20+ hours of travel to get there.

At the same time, staff of the hotel is extremely nice and accommodating. If I write to Hilton about my issues I don't want to cause troubles for people working here...

So, should I write to Hilton or not? Will talking to the manager be a better option?

I paid for the stay with points + cash, if it makes any difference.

Advise appreciated.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 9:43 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
I'd say you've already received compensation for the lounge, though asking for breakfast as well might be legit. Asking for afternoon snacks seems a bit petty.

Was the pool closure noted when you made your reservation? If not, are they offering pool access at another nearby property. If neither of the above are the case, I'd take it up with the GM if they're available or Hilton after-the-fact if they are not. I wouldn't expect much more than 5-10k points or one night refunded, though, and would be fairly happy to get that much.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
I'd say you've already received compensation for the lounge, though asking for breakfast as well might be legit. Asking for afternoon snacks seems a bit petty.

Was the pool closure noted when you made your reservation? If not, are they offering pool access at another nearby property. If neither of the above are the case, I'd take it up with the GM if they're available or Hilton after-the-fact if they are not. I wouldn't expect much more than 5-10k points or one night refunded, though, and would be fairly happy to get that much.
Well, since I am Diamond, the breakfast was included anyway...

Pool - no, it was not noted when I made the reservation, nor in any communications about upcoming stay. There are no nearby properties, Moscow river is right here, but I don't feel like jumping in there

So, are you saying the compensation for closed pool would be up to the manager?

Last edited by Artemk; Sep 23, 2014 at 12:56 pm Reason: I meant Diamond
Old Sep 23, 2014, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by Artemk
Well, since I am Platinum, the breakfast was included anyway...

Pool - no, it was not noted when I made the reservation, nor in any communications about upcoming stay. There are no nearby properties, Moscow river is right here, but I don't feel like jumping in there

So, are you saying the compensation for closed pool would be up to the manager?
Well, if you're Platinum then you've received recognition that the rest of us can only dream about.

It was a new property...issues such as those you noted are common with new hotels. I'd move on.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 12:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I want to hear more about this Hilton Platinum thing. What are the benefits?

Old Sep 23, 2014, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
I want to hear more about this Hilton Platinum thing. What are the benefits?
You instantly get to the Diamond level
Old Sep 23, 2014, 1:05 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Yes, I would say you're due some compensation for the pool being closed and not being notified ahead of your stay. I would try with the manager first and, if that's fruitless, follow-up with Hilton via the Diamond Desk.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 11:21 am

Brand new hotel? Personally, I'd cut them some slack. Sometimes things take longer than you anticipate when you open up a new business. It sounds like they've tried to be accommodating. If it were me, I'd let it go.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 11:40 am

No pool without notification is bigger than just growing pains and probably the only point I would press on.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I would express my disappointment to the manager's attention about the pool, and if he apologizes without offering any points, I would leave it, rather than get HHonors involved.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 12:17 pm

If I were on a leisure stay and honestly expected to use the pool a good bit, I would not leave it at a simple apology. I would, however, press the GM to make it right and only if he refuses flatly would I feel the need to take it to HHonors. Be open to creative resolutions as well... maybe a spa treatment of some sort? Dinner at the restaurant? A suite upgrade? Shirtless horseback riding? There's more available than just points or cash, especially at a full-service property like the one mentioned by the OP.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 2:26 pm

A week old property?

Would you rather:

A: Open the hotel and have a room, but no lounge and no pool
B: Have to try and find an alternate property at the last minute as they didn't want to open without all features being operational
Old Sep 25, 2014, 4:56 pm

C: Be notified when they knew the pool was not going to be ready for my stay.

I doubt it was any mystery to the property that the pool (a pretty major facility at any hotel) wasn't going to be ready. When they knew, the OP should have. Alternative arrangements should be available at a sister property or other facility, including transportation. If this isn't possible, a rate discount or other accommodation should be made available. The main thing is guests should have been notified so they could decide if they wanted to remain at this property based on the lack of pool and whatever accommodation was or was not made because of it. Without notification, it's completely fair to push for compensation.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 6:09 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
OR the property is already offering initial rooms at an introductory redced price due to soft opening and reduced facilities.

DTs don't need to have lounges as a brand standard, so is not something to complain about or ask for compensation. And sounds like hotel has already offered what they can extra.

Regards pool, I hrdly believe OP only booked this hotel due to a pool, and personally my belief is no further redress is warranted.

One should also consider hotel's redress given already and accepted to cover both lounge+pool.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 6:43 am

The lounge isn't a huge point in my book. As you mentioned, it's not a brand requirement of DT and the OP received drink chits, so I'd call that even.

The pool, however, is the main issue. Bigger than the lack of pool itself is the lack of notification. It's quite possible that the lack of pool at opening was figured into the rate... if that's the case, the lack of pool should have been made clear at booking, otherwise it's a bait and switch. If it was known after the reservation was made but sometime before the stay that there would be no pool, the OP should have been contacted and at least been given notification but preferably some options (lower rate, off-site pool, etc). A pool closure the day of (probably the least likely case) would probably warrant the most leeway, but I would still say should see some sort of comp, even if minor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.