Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Extra charge for third person in the room

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2014, 10:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, KLM, HILTON HONOURS

Prior to booking our hotel I checked to see if we could get an extra bed in the room if my daughter came with us I was told this would be no problem so I booked a room for 2. On the hotel website it is approx aed100 for an extra person in the room which was ok.
I contacted the hotel and they now want to change the rate which we have already paid to an extra aed400 per night This seems an excessive amount especially as we were never told that the rate would change to that amount. Is this normal? Thanks
Old Sep 3, 2014, 7:40 am

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Originally Posted by mac123
Prior to booking our hotel I checked to see if we could get an extra bed in the room if my daughter came with us I was told this would be no problem so I booked a room for 2. On the hotel website it is approx aed100 for an extra person in the room which was ok.
I contacted the hotel and they now want to change the rate which we have already paid to an extra aed400 per night This seems an excessive amount especially as we were never told that the rate would change to that amount. Is this normal? Thanks
I might depend on what type room you booked. If you booked a room that will not accommodate 3 people by local laws, then the hotel has the right to require a room that will. Have you tried making a new reservation listing 3 people on the website? What rate does it give you?
Old Sep 3, 2014, 9:48 am

Assuming that you can't cancel the reservation and depending on the age of the daughter, I would sneak her in with a sleeping bag and leave the reservation at 2 people.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 2:51 pm

Programs: HH diamond
Depending on the occupancy allowances, many hotels will allow an under 18 year old child to stay free if using existing bedding. If you require extra bedding, e.g., rollaway bed, expect an extra charge. This is usually a per night charge. I've seen $25-50 per night. $100 per night seems high.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 5:07 pm

For what it's worth, $100 AED is roughly $27 USD. That's not an unreasonable charge for a roll-a-way bed.

An extra $400 AED per night would not be normal unless there are occupancy issues that require a different room type. At this point, I don't think we can adequately advise the OP with the information we have.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 9:59 pm

Programs: Elite Diamond Purple Dot Gold Silver Titanium for life
Generally speaking most decent properties will waive roll-away bedding costs for Diamond members, especially if you have stayed there in the past and have a good history with the hotel.

I agree with MoreMilesPlease - some buildings have laws, bi-laws and/or fire regulations that mean you cannot have more than X people in a certain type of room. I live in a hotel with this exact restriction.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by d00t
fire regulations that mean you cannot have more than X people in a certain type of room. I live in a hotel with this exact restriction.
I would be interested in actually seeing such a fire code restriction on the number of people in hotel rooms. They are often said to exist, but no one can seem to produce one. It seems to just be a line hotels use to sell more rooms. It would be hard to write a short regulation to cover so many possible room configurations.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by tom_MN
I would be interested in actually seeing such a fire code restriction on the number of people in hotel rooms. They are often said to exist, but no one can seem to produce one. It seems to just be a line hotels use to sell more rooms. It would be hard to write a short regulation to cover so many possible room configurations.
Its the law throughout Italy.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 5:19 pm

It's not difficult, at all. It's based on square footage. After that, the hotel simply has to ensure there is adequate access to the exit(s).

You've undoubtedly seen maximum occupancy signs in large public spaces. Same concept...except small spaces aren't required to post signage.

As someone who worked over a decade in hotels, I guarantee there are fire code restrictions to which hotels must comply. If you believe a certain hotel is lying to you, I'd suggest calling the local fire department during business hours. They should be able to address your concern or connect you to the department that handles this issue in that municipality.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by writerguyfl

As someone who worked over a decade in hotels, I guarantee there are fire code restrictions to which hotels must comply.
Yes, but these codes are for things like placement of fire extiguishers, occupancy limits of meeting rooms, and required training for staff. Believe me, I have looked online for specific fire code restrictions for guest room occupancy and come up short. You would think what is rumored to be such a common public code would not be so hard to find. And I have many, many times challenged people to post links to said fire codes but no one has been able to so far.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 4:19 pm

Yes, but these codes are for things like placement of fire extiguishers, occupancy limits of meeting rooms, and required training for staff. Believe me, I have looked online for specific fire code restrictions for guest room occupancy and come up short. You would think what is rumored to be such a common public code would not be so hard to find. And I have many, many times challenged people to post links to said fire codes but no one has been able to so far.
You're asking for very specific technical information. Have you ever asked an architect or fire marshal? Or, done what I suggested and called the fire department yourself?

Think about it this way: Could a lay person provide the specific technical requirements regarding automatic sprinkler systems? Or, technical specs of the air bags in your car? Of course, not. But, that doesn't mean those things don't exist.

Sometimes, if you want technical information, you have to ask an expert. If you're unwilling to do that, you have a choice to either trust in the system or believe there is a massive, global conspiracy perpetrated by thousands of individual hotels working in collusion to force you to rent a second room.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 3:59 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
for 30-50 euros one can buy an inflatable mattress with electric pump (double bed size for 70euros).

I know my boxed airbed kit weighs 3-5kg, but I have travelled/flown with and used to avoid an excessive rollaway bed fee, and/or where hotel will not offer, extra bed, just so some visting good friends can share my hotel room on the 1x Saturday night during a week stay and not struggle with non-existant early morning trains/metro's etc when taxi fare is too much due to distance involved.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by writerguyfl
If you're unwilling to do that, you have a choice to either trust in the system or believe there is a massive, global conspiracy perpetrated by thousands of individual hotels working in collusion to force you to rent a second room.
All right, my web searching was more productive this time. I didn't find any specific room by room occupancy restriction in a fire code (which would be hard to write), but I did find a floor area to number of fire exits restriction. So there are only so many people allowed per fire exit. Maybe then it is the hotel's discretion to decide how to spread that occupancy number across the rooms so as not to exceed the numbers. I say this because sometimes large rooms have an occupancy of 2, and similar rooms 5, so it seemed a bit arbitrary.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 9:11 am

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
All right, my web searching was more productive this time. I didn't find any specific room by room occupancy restriction in a fire code (which would be hard to write), but I did find a floor area to number of fire exits restriction. So there are only so many people allowed per fire exit. Maybe then it is the hotel's discretion to decide how to spread that occupancy number across the rooms so as not to exceed the numbers. I say this because sometimes large rooms have an occupancy of 2, and similar rooms 5, so it seemed a bit arbitrary.
So you are searching every city in every country for their hotel room occupancy laws?
Old Sep 6, 2014, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
deleted

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.