Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Conrad London St. James {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2020, 10:39 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
Originally Posted by rrgg
I saw that a few here disagree that the Conrad is the best Hilton in London, and that it's "only" very good in a good location.

What Hilton do you think is better, or how would you rank the top 3? Thanks.
I think the answer here is completely a matter of personal preference. I've stayed at all 3 multiple times, and each has its strong points and weak points. If you're looking for the nicest rooms, I'd go with the Conrad; it is quiet, somewhat "upscale," and in a neighborhood that is very quiet in the evenings. I thinkt the Waldorf has the edge if you like to be in the middle of lots of activity (both in and out of the hotel), as you can step outside and be in the middle of shops and restaurants. It also has a more "classic hotel" feel. The Bankside has the edge on lounge and breakfast, has a standard "business hotel" feel, and is nicely situated if you want easy access to some of the south bank attractions. All three provide good breakfasts, decent lounge offerings, and are well situated for some of the London attractions if you're a tourist. So you can't really lose either way. I usually make my decision based on some combination of pricing and where I need to be in London on that trip.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
I saw that a few here disagree that the Conrad is the best Hilton in London, and that it's "only" very good in a good location.

What Hilton do you think is better, or how would you rank the top 3? Thanks.
Originally Posted by brp
I actually liked the Waldorf better, although we haven't been there for a while, so maybe that has changed.

Cheers.
Originally Posted by wizla
Yes, me too......I much prefer the Waldorf, I love the buzzy atmosphere of the lobby but for me it has a great gym and spa .
I just feel the Waldorf has more to offer than the Conrad ...... the Conrad is very nice and modern and the Executive lounge is good too but to me that’s kinda where the story ends.
Big fan of both the Conrad and the Waldorf. Different hotels for sure and depends on what you are looking to do while in London.

However, at this moment, although I haven't personally stayed there, I would imagine the LXR collection "The Biltmore" in Mayfair is the nicest Hilton affiliated property in London:

https://lxrhotels3.hilton.com/lxr/biltmore-mayfair/

And forthcoming in 2021-22 will be the W/A at the Admiralty Arch which will also up the Hilton game in London:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...ia-hotel-2022/
MoodyB likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 2:32 pm

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by MoodyB
It's a weird one for me, I kinda have to go with the Waldorf too, just because I have a sentimental attachment to it...(I was staying here when I met my much better half and we spent our first NYE together there too.)
It also has an undeniable charm and character to it.
The Conrad is a very nice hotel though...Having a Tube station across the street is a huge bonus for me.
Mate, that’s a genuinely lovely story, I love to hear this...... if we are talking romance I can’t think of a better Hilton for the setting
MoodyB likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 5:23 am

Programs: British Airways, Hilton Hhonors, Avis, Hertz
Mate, that’s a genuinely lovely story, I love to hear this...... if we are talking romance I can’t think of a better Hilton for the setting
Thank you most kindly, Sir!
It will always be a special place for us! :-)
wizla likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:08 pm

Thanks everyone for all the feedback, and MoodyB’s story. (Happy Valentine’s Day)
MoodyB likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 4:22 am

Programs: British Airways, Hilton Hhonors, Avis, Hertz
Thanks everyone for all the feedback, and MoodyB’s story. (Happy Valentine’s Day)
Thank you very much indeed! :-)
Old Feb 19, 2020, 8:51 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond
Just stayed five nights at the Conrad and absolutely loved every minute of it. Was upgrade to Executive King room from the basic room. Had dinner at Blue Boar there late one night and was great.

Also, I have to recommend A. Wong to anyone that is in London. I had their Taste of China tasting menu and it was the best food I have ever ate in my life. It was a nonstop event of food, its backstory, region, etc. Absolutely fantastic. I walked there from the Conrad and it only took about 20 minutes.

Overall, it was a fantastic trip, much of the credit for that going to the Conrad and the lovely staff there.

Last edited by wally5505; Feb 20, 2020 at 3:59 am
Old Feb 20, 2020, 3:53 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Executive Platinum
It was only a Ł4 tray charge when I was there in January, and well worth it to be able to get poached eggs and everything brought to me rather than going to the lounge.
TGLoyalty likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 5:15 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by hockeydiva
It was only a Ł4 tray charge when I was there in January, and well worth it to be able to get poached eggs and everything brought to me rather than going to the lounge.
May I ask - was it hot?.....I always find whenever I’ve had room service breakfast ( in any hotel ) it’s always tepid.
MoodyB likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 7:50 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
May I ask - was it hot?.....I always find whenever I’ve had room service breakfast ( in any hotel ) it’s always tepid.
Was thinking the same thing. I'm quite happy that they offer this option at a very reasonable rate for those who want it, but we're not room service people and prefer to be in the restaurant or lounge. There I also ordered poached eggs and they got to me still hot straight from the kitchen. I also prefer picking items myself from a buffet over service when this is possible. But options are always good.

Cheers.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 6:14 pm

Yes--it was warm enough for me, if I recall correctly. And it costs Ł10 to get a poached egg in the lounge the last time I asked for one, so I don't order one when I eat there.

I've ordered room service at the Conrad when I need to eat while I get ready in the morning (like on London Marathon day!) or when I want to eat later than the lounge is serving breakfast, and I appreciate that the cost is quite reasonable. I've never had any issue with the quality/temperature of the food when it's been delivered.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 6:19 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Yes--it was warm enough for me, if I recall correctly. And it costs Ł10 to get a poached egg in the lounge the last time I asked for one, so I don't order one when I eat there.
Interesting. No charge in the restaurant for cooked-to-order.

Cheers.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by brp
Interesting. No charge in the restaurant for cooked-to-order.

Cheers.
Good to know! I thought they said the charge would be the same in the restaurant, but I'll give it a try on my next visit.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 5:53 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
Stayed here recently in the post corona virus / covid era.
I really enjoyed my stay.
My notes :

-At the time of my visit (July 2020) only floors 2 and 3 were open and being used for guests.
-I have stayed here in 2019, and can confirm the room this time looked as always, with no noticable differences at all. Nothing seemed to be missing or reduced. There is a "cleanstay" sticker on the door when you enter.
-Staff at reception and the bar/restuarant all wear face masks, but all still come across as very professional & friendly.
-Morning room cleaning and evening turn down service have to be reqested each day if you want it, and staff will only do this if you stay out of your room during the cleaning.

-Breakfast is served at the restaurant again, but is a la carte only (no buffet). You can mix and match items from the breakfast menu at no extra charge. I think you can also opt to have breakfast in your room at no extra charge, but check with reception to make sure.

-The club lounge is OPEN but unstaffed and the only thing you can get there is some soft drinks from the fridge or tea/coffee. Nothing else is served there
-A total of 4 warm, tasty and fancy looking evening canapes are served to guests with lounge access in the bar area between 6:00pm and 7:00pm. If you are still hungry you can ask for another set of 4 canapes for no extra charge. Alcoholic drinks are also included at the bar during happy hour for guests with lounge access.
-The main restaurant is only open for breakfast, but closed at all other times of the day.

-The hotel looked very empty when I visited. Someone told me only about 20 or so rooms were occupied during my short visit there. The breakfast area was really empty and only 2 or 3 tables were occupied at a time (including mine). Seems like many people still wanted to have breakfast in their rooms instead of in the restaurant.

-The station next to the hotel - St James Park tube (metro) station is totally CLOSED every day. You will have to walk (or get a taxi) from either westminster or victoria station. It's a good 15 minute walk from either station, so if you have heavy luggage go to victoria, as they have a taxi rank....At westminster you have to hail a taxi from the street. Many "smaller" (less used) tube / metro stations in central London have been fully closed. Check TFL (Transport for London) website for details.

Central London is very eerily quiet and empty like I've never seen it before....but trains run on time, you get a seat everywhere, and there are no long lines or long waiting times anywhere.

Beware that many shops, bars, restaurants, supermarkets, fast food outlets, coffee shops, banks, etc in central London have decided to stay fully closed. Check online before you head somewhere to see if it's really open.
Those that are open, may be open only on reduced hours.

Happy to answer any questions.

Last edited by est-gratuite; Jul 20, 2020 at 2:26 am
Old Jul 20, 2020, 2:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, Shangri La Jade
Just to confirm, it's a 8 min walk from the hotel to Westminster tube and a 13 min walk to Victoria. There are also buses every minute or so between Victoria and the hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.