Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Hilton Diamond Guaranteed Reservation" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Hilton Diamond Guaranteed Reservation" thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2005, 1:32 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
I just used it for a double whammy a sold out hotel and used my points, so we can go to the Indy 500. It did take calling a couple of times as they booked the room then had to call the hotel to switch it to points, but it all worked out.
Troy
Old Apr 22, 2005, 4:57 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Ive used the guarantee a few times now, interestingly, most of those times not for sold out situations, but for 2 night minimum's (I hate those).

This last one was at the beach last weekend. Had to book for 2 nights on the web site, I called the diamond desk, and not only did they get me the room for 1 night, but it was cheaper than the rate for 2 nights on the web site. I paid $89 Web rate was $109 & $119.
Old Apr 22, 2005, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA: MM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Bkniaz
Ive used the guarantee a few times now, interestingly, most of those times not for sold out situations, but for 2 night minimum's (I hate those).

<snip>
THAT is a very usefull piece if information. I would never have even thought to ask if they could wave the minimum stay requirement.

FWIW

DLM
Old Apr 22, 2005, 9:07 pm
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Originally Posted by Moderator2
It's the old "Your mileage may vary". I used it this week at the FAT - Hampton.

Guess I've tried to use it five times. Only one time I was unsuccessful. What's also pleasant is that I never felt that any of the hotels charged me an extravagant rate for the last minute booking.

Craig6z (a.k.a. Moderator2)
Well now six times. Needed some additional pull for the FAT - Hampton again (gotta hand it to the property owner, must be nice to be the only Hilton branded hotel for 60 miles around a fast growing metropolis... it's always full). The very creative Diamond CSR managed to get me in. He literally fast talked the hotel's front desk clerk to give me a room.

No matter what the need from the Diamond Desk (rooms at booked hotels, getting awards for blacked out nights, cleaning up mis-billings, etc.), they go the extra yard for me.
Old Apr 27, 2005, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by jordanpa
My experience of using the HH Diamond room availability guarantee has been, to say the least painful. If the hotel is full, then even when in the Hilton system as a Diamond HH member, no availability is shown, and when I've contacted the Diamond Desk or the hotel itself, they've thrown all manner of excuses at me. I can't actuallt remember one instance where using the guarantee has got me a room.

Imagine my surprise tonight when I made a Marriott reservation through their website (I'm MR Platinum as well as HH Diamond, and they have a similar guarantee).

The reservation processed and when looking at the confirmation page, there was a small note to say the hotel was full, but they'd used their Platinum Guarantee to give me a room. Fantastic system and one that Hilton could do with emulating.
I've used the Diamond guarantee at least 4 times now and have NEVER had a problem. I had a time share reserved in New Orleans and was not happy with it at all. I called the Diamond desk at 9:00pm and asked where I could get a room for a week in the area. I was really looking for the Embassy because of the family and they were able to find the room with no problem and an hour latter I was in a very nice room and having a great stay. I've been able to get two rooms at the Doubletree Suites in Times square no less than twice with no problems at all. Further I've been able to get two rooms during the summer at the HHW and was upgraded to a very nice suite, two rooms in Munich for this December during Christmas when the web site said I could not get any.

You will need to call the Diamond line to get the reservations you are looking for. I've had times where there were no rooms and they were able to use my Diamond status to open up the rooms for me.

I'm sorry to hear you have had so many problems but I can say I'm one of the Diamonds here that have been treated very nice!
Old Apr 27, 2005, 12:02 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Diamond
I used the Diamond guarantee most recently to book a room at a Hampton in St. Louis 3 days before the Final Four. I had no problems at all (there were several hotel options using the guarantee) and only paid $109 for the room. A great deal all around since there were apparently no rooms to be had in the entire city that weekend.
Old Apr 27, 2005, 3:35 pm

Programs: HH <>, B6 mosaic
Originally Posted by thecortex
I used the Diamond guarantee most recently to book a room at a Hampton in St. Louis 3 days before the Final Four. I had no problems at all (there were several hotel options using the guarantee) and only paid $109 for the room. A great deal all around since there were apparently no rooms to be had in the entire city that weekend.
I understand the Diamond Guarantee for paid reservations. Exactly what is the Diamond Guarantee for reward reservations?
Old Apr 27, 2005, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by bcl00
I understand the Diamond Guarantee for paid reservations. Exactly what is the Diamond Guarantee for reward reservations?
They'll get you a room when the hotel is otherwise not available for award reservations. For some hotels there appears to be no other way to get a reservation.

I've had nothing but good experiences getting award rooms when/where I wanted them. I called. I requested. I got my reservation. It's always been that simple.
Old Apr 27, 2005, 4:25 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
They just helped me a lot - Hilton Sharm Waterfalls (as all Hiltons in the area) was completely booked out for next week (don't know what's going on down there, after all, there seems to be a gazillion Hiltons near the Red Sea). I wanted a stay using points (actually in the Sharks Bay Resort - all inclusive). The info I got was that Sharks Bay does not accept points, since it is an all inclusive resort. Diamond desk could have gotten me a room with the diamond guarantee at a paid rate of $ 220 (which is probably about twice the usual rate there). However, they could make a special arrangement for me to get a room and use points at the Hilton Sharm Waterfalls, which is what they did. It took some phone calls back and forth, but they managed. I thought that was great.

There are some cases where they cannot help, most notably the Hilton Maldives which just flat out refuses reservations with points at this time.
Old Apr 27, 2005, 4:41 pm

Programs: Lifetime Plat Marriott
Not my experience at all....

I've used the Diamond Guarantee in London Park Lane, Conrad Dublin, Fess Parker DoubleTree in Santa Barbara, in Rome Cavaleri and Sorrento. They are always booked, so it seems, and this is the real perk of being Diamond over Gold (that, and having access to Hilton Lounges in Europe).

Sorry to hear you have not had the success that most Diamonds have for booking awards....they always seem to find a room for me!

Dawn
Old Apr 27, 2005, 5:13 pm

Programs: AC down to Orange lol, Marriott Silver?
I had used my Diamond availability a few times for reward reservations and a few times at a particular hotel that I stayed 3-4 days a week for 11 months, Hilton Cleveland Beachwood. Only 1 same day reservation in NYC when all hotels are full could not get me a room so had to get a friend to put me up.

A few times I forgot to book a room and when I booked on the Monday, they were fully booked and they either accomodated me in the Hilton Cleveland Beachwood or found a room at the Embassy Suite Beachwood although I had to resist them charging me for the higher rate of the Embassy Suite. After some protest and comment that I can get the residence inn for the same rate I have at the Hilton, they usually give in gracefully and give me my $20 lower rate for Hilton which is the maximum the client is willing to reimburse for.

Another occassion where negotiation paid off. I needed to go to a conference but did not firm up my plans until 2-3 week before the conference. I missed the housing window and when I contacted Hilton Anaheim directly, the room instead of the conference rate of $169 or 179 is now $249 for 2 nights and $299 for the 3rd night since the conference block had been taken up. That is more than my company is willing to pay and higher then the Bellagio rate I got for another conference. Was planning to stay at Hyatt but found by chance reward nights available for 30K per night so made a reservation for 90K / 3 nights rather than 800+tx.

Then I called the hotel a few days later and spoke to either the sales manager or the reservation manager and wanted to convert this to the convention rate. My argument is that my company will not pay the full rate of $249+ + tax but will the conference rate and my alternative is to stay at the Hyatt a few blocks away for about $155-165/night. I also commented that if I used my reward nights, they would only be reimbursed a little for the redeemed room so they came to my way of thinking and changed it to a lower conference rate of $152 Win-Win since instead of getting $50-60 from Hilton Corportate, the got $152 per night. I don't have to worry about reimbursement calcs for reward night use and I stay in the budget and stay next to the convention center and could stay the same place for the next workshop for a day...

Last edited by Snoopyo; Apr 27, 2005 at 5:23 pm
Old Apr 27, 2005, 5:18 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
attorney28, I think you'll like the Sharm Waterfalls (probably would like it even more if it weren't crowded!) Just remember you are in Egypt, where there's a low tolerance for directness, meaning sometimes you will be told "yes" when they might mean "not bloody likely!" WHen the electricity went out in our wing, we were told innumerable times it would be fixed "right away" - which really means "inshallah", "if God wills it" - related to "right away" like "tomorrow" is to "maņana" or "just now" in South Africa is related to "yeah, sure, maybe". 'Cause maybe Allah is not inspiring the electricians to be there any time soon.

BWT, for a great view, sunset and Italian food or a fine pizza , be sure to visit the caravanserai-funky "El Fanar" (the lighthouse) on the Ras Umm Sid point not far away. It's really kind of like a cross between being inside a red earth termitarium and giant Bedouin tent... well, it's hard to describe, but great funa nd views.
Old Apr 27, 2005, 5:30 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Craig6z
Well now six times. Needed some additional pull for the FAT - Hampton again (gotta hand it to the property owner, must be nice to be the only Hilton branded hotel for 60 miles around a fast growing metropolis... it's always full). The very creative Diamond CSR managed to get me in. He literally fast talked the hotel's front desk clerk to give me a room.

No matter what the need from the Diamond Desk (rooms at booked hotels, getting awards for blacked out nights, cleaning up mis-billings, etc.), they go the extra yard for me.
I actually normally stay at the Four points in FAT, very nice, because they only have a hampton and as you stated nothing esle for 60 miles.
Old Apr 27, 2005, 7:18 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
JDiver, many thanks for the advice! Will make sure to visit El Fanar .
Old Apr 27, 2005, 8:58 pm
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Originally Posted by troyintn
I actually normally stay at the Four points in FAT, very nice, because they only have a hampton and as you stated nothing esle for 60 miles.
Having stayed at the Four Points last year (in an "Executive Room"), I prefer the Hampton. Hampton is in a much better neighborhood, and the public facilities are better. "Standard" room at the Hampton was about equal to the "Executive" room at the Four Points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.