Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

We're not doing Honors This Weekend - No Status Benefits

We're not doing Honors This Weekend - No Status Benefits

Old Jul 11, 2014, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Michael19887
Am I missing something here??? If you booked an exec room and have lounge access, what gold benefits are you not receiving? Breakfast my way is in the lounge. You said you got free wifi and no upgrade was available.
The lounge was closed.

I was at that same convention; however, my reservation was initially booked directly on Hilton's website (using Diamond Force). I even got the "AMEX CO BRAND ONLINE BOOKING BONUS" for that stay.

I got the water (they had paper bags with two bottles of water at the front desk). I did not get breakfast coupons. Due to tight timing, I didn't try to use the Lounge Monday morning; I wonder what would have happened.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 1:25 am

Programs: LH lifetime Sen; HH lifetime diamond; flying blue silver
I had a similar issue with SPG. I booked a room for a meeting at the hotel. Apparently this meant I was now in a conference (of 4 people...) and was given only conference rate points, which were derisory.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Did they give you a special rate for your sleeping room?
Old Jul 12, 2014, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by san888
Hilton treatment of elites is terrible in the U.S.
It's just very, very variable and unpredictable, and in this case inexcusable.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 10:58 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
I guess you could have stated in reply "well in that case I am not doing your hotel this weekend, goodbye"
Old Jul 12, 2014, 11:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold HH Diamond
Fortunately the vast majority of my stays are in the Far East. Where the service levels routinely range from very good to excellent. On the rare occasions I do venture to the US, and with the odd exception, it is a reminder of what average to poor really looks like. Rather incongruous that a US-associated brand is so poorly managed in its home territory.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 1:02 am

Programs: Elite Diamond Purple Dot Gold Silver Titanium for life
The big question is: were you booked on any kind of group rate or directly though hilton.com ?
Old Jul 13, 2014, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Event Organizer - Not Us

Originally Posted by brkandjfk
My wife and I owned a travel agency and event planning firm for more than two decades before selling it in 2009. We negotiated the benefits out of event agreements on occasion to reduce the cost. While it may or may not be common, it is not rare.
Heard back from the person who negotiates contract for the organization. He confirmed they do NOT have any stipulations about the loyalty program for their room blocks.

It appears this was at the whim of the general manager.

I still don't understand the logic here. This was a direct booking and the stay earned points. I've been to plenty of other conventions with room blocks and I've never had an issue with recognition of benefits.

I guess what irritate me the most is the lack of consistency and there being no communication or indicators when looking at the reservation on Hilton.com. I don't like it being a mystery of what's going to happen until I get to the hotel.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by motytrah
Heard back from the person who negotiates contract for the organization. He confirmed they do NOT have any stipulations about the loyalty program for their room blocks.

I still don't understand the logic here. This was a direct booking and the stay earned points. I've been to plenty of other conventions with room blocks and I've never had an issue with recognition of benefits.

I guess what irritate me the most is the lack of consistency and there being no communication or indicators when looking at the reservation on Hilton.com. I don't like it being a mystery of what's going to happen until I get to the hotel.

I don't know that the meeting planner would tell you that he negotiated away individual benefits for his personal gain.

It also may be that the hotel defaults to no benefits due to past issues with large groups (fighting over limited upgrades, late checkouts, etc.) and that each group must negotiate those benefits into their group.

I honestly don't know that it is possible or feasible to customize coding/templates needed for all the different possibilities that groups could have included/excluded.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by motytrah
Terrible, but look at the percentage of local opt-outs from quarterly promos. It's ridiculous. If Hilton could exert more brand discipline over rebellious local properties I think they would. Sometimes the relationship between the parent brand and out-of-control properties is like that between an exasperated but impotent parent and out-of-control teenagers. Kids, what can you do.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan
I guess you could have stated in reply "well in that case I am not doing your hotel this weekend, goodbye"
That hotel (and at least 3 overflow hotels) were all sold out; the hotel could have re-sold the room in seconds.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by d00t
The big question is: were you booked on any kind of group rate or directly though hilton.com ?
In my case, I originally booked through hilton.com but I ended up with the (lower) convention rate. I did get the 500 points Amex Online Booking bonus.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jabbered
I don't know that the meeting planner would tell you that he negotiated away individual benefits for his personal gain.
It would have been for the convention's benefit, but they didn't. (I've been at numerous conventions at that hotel, and this is the first time that happened.)

It also may be that the hotel defaults to no benefits due to past issues with large groups (fighting over limited upgrades, late checkouts, etc.) and that each group must negotiate those benefits into their group.
Given the demographics of this group, I'd be surprised if there were as many as a dozen people with status staying at the hotel that weekend (including the two of us posting here).
Old Jul 14, 2014, 12:31 pm
Company Representative - Honors by Hilton

Programs: Hilton Honors
Hi all, I've been working to get some clarification here. First off, it is not okay for a full service hotel to decide they aren't going to honor benefits on a whim. If that is the case, we will certainly get this corrected. It is possible that there is something else at play here which could explain why benefits were not offered, so I'm going to work with brand performance support at the hotel to better understand.

motytrah, I'll PM you with more details/questions and we'll get this sorted out. I'll post back in this thread once I have a resolution.

Best,
Anthony
Old Jul 14, 2014, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Anthony, thanks in advance for your help!

These types of threads tend to degenerate quickly into bashing US Hilton hotels. To be honest, I've been treated well at all of my recent Hilton stays (US and Canada), while I've had a couple of problems overseas.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.