Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Alexandra Barcelona Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton {ESP}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alexandra Barcelona Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton {ESP}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2016, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by arlflyer
Need to book a couple nights in Barcelona for December but have been putting it off (for months!) because all of the hhonors properties seem equally mediocre with various drawbacks and tradeoffs. Guess I'll just have to pick, or split the stay between a couple.
I'm in exactly the same situation and it really is a shame that there are no stand out true 5 star Hilton branded hotels in Barcelona. I'm leaning towards this one at the moment, but that could change by next week!
Old Jul 5, 2016, 4:31 pm

We booked a stay in August, the Diagonal Mar is too far out the the Hilton won't allow three in a room (we have a teenager). The customer service on the phone has been really good, fingers crossed that the rooms look like the photos!
Old Jul 29, 2016, 2:06 am

Programs: Frantic Hilton/Marriott runs
Awful stay. No upgrades as Diamond, was put in a dark room with awkward angles and no views. The staff at check in was downright unhelpful - he looked mad when I asked him for tapas tips and only offered one drink coupon even though our reservation was for two.

No lounge. There was a limited "Happy hour" for Gold and Diamond of one small glass of wine with one canape smaller than a piece of patatas bravas. Limited selection at breakfast which did not change over 4 days.

The location is amazing but I wouldn't come back unless it was a free trip.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 8:06 am

Great. So Diagonal Mar is terrible, and Alexandra is terrible. Guess it's gonna be the Hilton or airbnb/Virtuoso for me...
Old Sep 20, 2016, 6:41 am

Programs: AC, Bonvoy, HH
Not an elite member, but wife and I cleared out our Air Miles accounts (Canadian loyalty program with points expiring this year) to book two rooms for five nights (+2 kids) in August. There was no option to book four to a room. As we were looking to use up these Air Miles, we went with this hotel based on mile cost and location. Overall, very happy with the experience.

The location was great. A lot of restaurants in the area, especially along the Rambla de Catalunya, which turns into Las Rambla further south. Metro stations close by. Two Gaudi homes nearby. Good shopping strip along Passeig de Gracia.

The swimming pool is perfect for little ones. The deepest part came up to my hips, so the kids spent a lot of time playing while I read. Found the staff very friendly and helpful.

We did have a rooms on the pool side (no connecting rooms available, but did get next to each other), so didn't have issues with noise from the street side. Lucky I guess. Ate breakfast once, but it was expensive, so ended up eating outside the hotel.

A few car rental places (Avis, Sixt) within walking distance too, which was convenient. Easy drive to get out of the city from this location.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 5:01 am

Programs: Virtuoso TA; SELECT TA; BAEC Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond; IHG Plantinum Amb
Great stay

Alexandra Barcelona - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel

Mallorca 251 Barcelona, ES 08008

Great stay (0 Photo)

Alexandra Barcelona - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel

Check In

For some reason I wasn't given an option to check-in online prior to arrival, either on the day before or on the day.

Check-in at the hotel, however, was great - extremely friendly and welcoming and they specifically noted that had taken into my account for a quiet / corner room on a higher floor

Room

Spotless, nicely decorated. Air-con could have been a bit stronger, but was OK. Slightly odd shaped through (fine with me - more interesting) with a kind of corridor in the room from the door, past the bathroom and to the bed area.

Opening windows with outside shutters as well.

Bed was very comfy.

Bathroom good, shower over bathtub (although I generally prefer a shower and no bathtub).

Room was quiet with very little noise from the street. Some noise occasionally from the corridor (mostly the arrival of a family in the neighbouring rooms and slamming of doors), but no noise from other room.

Service

Overall service was great - every staff member was incredibly friendly and helpful

Dining

Breakfast, as a gold (and, I understand diamonds as well), was taken in a specific room away from the main restaurant. This was in the basement and consisted of contential buffet.

Service was great with coffee and juice offered immediately and refills.

Food was good for me but some people may be disappointed not to have any hot options.

Overall

Had a great stay and would really recommend this hotel

Great stay

Would you like to write a review on the Alexandra Barcelona - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Oct 14, 2017, 6:55 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
It looks like this hotel is now part of the Curio Collection and no longer a DoubleTree.
http://curiocollection3.hilton.com/e...AQQ/index.html
Old Oct 14, 2017, 10:54 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
It looks like this hotel is now part of the Curio Collection and no longer a DoubleTree.
http://curiocollection3.hilton.com/e...AQQ/index.html
Banner on the home page: Please note this is a small boutique hotel and availability to upgrade our Gold and Diamond members is limited.

Would not bother!
Old Oct 14, 2017, 11:19 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TTL
Banner on the home page: Please note this is a small boutique hotel and availability to upgrade our Gold and Diamond members is limited.

Would not bother!
That message has been there since it was a DoubleTree. I stayed there twice. The first time I don't think I was upgraded but was happy with a room with a small balcony. The second time I was upgraded (as a Gold) to a larger corner room with a whirlpool bath.

If you want to stay at a Hilton property in Barcelona as a tourist the location of Alexandra Barcelona is by far the best.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 12:01 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
If you want to stay at a Hilton property in Barcelona as a tourist the location of Alexandra Barcelona is by far the best.
Maybe true for short(ish) walks. For hotel quality, there should be no questions, either of the proper Hiltons have the advantage, but SPG and Accor are the winners. TMB and cheap cabs overcome the problems with specific locations easily.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 5:17 am

Just returned from a 5 night stay at the Alexandra Barcelona.
I am a Diamond and we traveled with my sister who is a Gold. We were treated exacts the same; neither upgraded and we both booked a Deluxe King which we were given. My room on the 8th floor facing the Catalunya side of the hotel was nice and surprisingly quiet, even though lighting was awful. My sister's room, also on the 8th floor facing the pool at times was noisy from the pool area as well as noise from adjoining rooms.
We were offered a complementary full breakfast, which was very nice, in the first floor restaurant. They seem to, thankfully, have done away with delegating HH members to the basement area. Not sure if this is due to changing to a Curio from Doubletree or because it was past the summer heavier traffic months.
Great location and was hesitant to stay initially due to some bad reviews. However, getting the complementary breakfast made this hotel a much better value than others we were considering.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 9:14 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
It's OK. We stayed here at the weekend. Diamond status = 2 small bottles of water per stay; no upgrades. Had room on second floor near lifts overlooking the roof below. Room was small and pretty dark. bathroom was small and awkward shape.

Location was good for us and plenty of decent restaurants within walking distance. Breakfast was very disappointing and no table service for coffee, etc.

Love Barcelona but the Hilton offerings are not great
Old Oct 15, 2018, 9:59 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb
Had two stays there last month as HH Gold. Not sure if I was upgraded, probably not. Rooms on 2nd and 3rd floor, overlooking the pool area had different decor - one was edgy raw steel furniture and microcement bathroom & shower over bath, the other more traditional, separate shower and toilet "cubicles" with overefficient air conditioning that had be set to 15 degrees before I arrived.
Location is good indeed, and I would say breakfast was delicious although not very wide variety of choices. Table service for coffee was included.

Biggest problem for me was complete and absolute lack of sound isolation between the rooms. I could listen to the news from the TV in the neighbouring room and housekeeping started rattling their carts and vacuum cleaner along the corridor quite early. I scared myself nearly to death as it sounded like someone was walking around in my room at night, only to realize that someone in an adjacent room was going for a wee.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 3:03 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Is this property one of those NOT participating in Honors program? I stayed here 1,5 weeks ago and the stay has not posted on my account. I have no experience in claiming nights back and I don't even have the reservation number with me as it was booked through travel agent (it stated clearly as "corporate fare, earning points" so I assume I should get points).
Advice?

BTW I am not going to stay in this hotel for the service. Checkin was clumsy. No upgrades, nada. Breakfast was pretty basic and not that well spread. No late checkout given when I asked since next days was told to be fully booked. Then the cleaner lady entered my room with her key just before 11am when I had my shower before leaving and I was all Adam, something I mentioned at checkout but receptionist did not even hear that. Checkout took a long time, as they were asking me for a business card to fill in company info etc. which was never asked in other Barcelona hotels. That was something that made me feel as if they were questioning my corporate rate or who knows what, they said nothing but insisted to have the business card which took me quite some time to find in my bags one.
Lousy service, bad experience. Hope you guys have it better here, but they lost me.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 3:23 am

Programs: Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by FFlash
Is this property one of those NOT participating in Honors program? I stayed here 1,5 weeks ago and the stay has not posted on my account. I have no experience in claiming nights back and I don't even have the reservation number with me as it was booked through travel agent (it stated clearly as "corporate fare, earning points" so I assume I should get points).
Advice?

BTW I am not going to stay in this hotel for the service. Checkin was clumsy. No upgrades, nada. Breakfast was pretty basic and not that well spread. No late checkout given when I asked since next days was told to be fully booked. Then the cleaner lady entered my room with her key just before 11am when I had my shower before leaving and I was all Adam, something I mentioned at checkout but receptionist did not even hear that. Checkout took a long time, as they were asking me for a business card to fill in company info etc. which was never asked in other Barcelona hotels. That was something that made me feel as if they were questioning my corporate rate or who knows what, they said nothing but insisted to have the business card which took me quite some time to find in my bags one.
Lousy service, bad experience. Hope you guys have it better here, but they lost me.
I stayed here a month ago and had a fantastic stay. Service was great from everyone, and they upgraded me midway through stay when a suite became available. I also disagree with you on breakfast - thought the spread was very high quality, and more than enough for a boutique hotel. As it is a boutique hotel, they do warn you in advance to not expect upgrades or late checkout.

It is part of Honors - maybe contact your travel agent as they should have added your Honors # to your reservation.

Fair enough, your stay doesn't sound great but I had a fantastic time here and it's my new choice for a Hilton in Barcelona

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.