Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Citi Hilton Diamond 'Calendar Year' different definition then mine (Diamond Spend)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi Hilton Diamond 'Calendar Year' different definition then mine (Diamond Spend)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2014, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Kind of ticked about this. Have the Hilton Citi Reserve card that among other things gives you Diamond Status after spending $40,000 in a year.

Now I wasn't sure if that meant anniversary of getting the card or calendar year, so contacted Citi for clarification a couple of months back and was told it was calendar year spending. So I went and spent $40,000 on the card in 2013 (passed the mark on a Dec. 10th purchase to be exact.)

Checked account today, saw status was still Gold, and contacted Citi to see when I would expect the change and was told that I in fact had not reached the spend requirement because my closing statement date was Jan 2 and that all my spending from Dec 2 - Dec 31, 2013 didn't actually count towards 2013 spend.

Needless to say I'm kind of ticked and that my definition of spending in a calendar year spending goes until Dec 31 of said year
Old Jan 6, 2014, 8:21 pm

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Originally Posted by ukyank
Kind of ticked about this. Have the Hilton Citi Reserve card that among other things gives you Diamond Status after spending $40,000 in a year.

Now I wasn't sure if that meant anniversary of getting the card or calendar year, so contacted Citi for clarification a couple of months back and was told it was calendar year spending. So I went and spent $40,000 on the card in 2013 (passed the mark on a Dec. 10th purchase to be exact.)

Checked account today, saw status was still Gold, and contacted Citi to see when I would expect the change and was told that I in fact had not reached the spend requirement because my closing statement date was Jan 2 and that all my spending from Dec 2 - Dec 31, 2013 didn't actually count towards 2013 spend.

Needless to say I'm kind of ticked and that my definition of spending in a calendar year spending goes until Dec 31 of said year

See footnote #5, may be of help?

http://creditcards.citicards.com/usc...4A4F3CF4BD4B46
Old Jan 6, 2014, 8:27 pm

Your definition doesn't really matter. The T&Cs do.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by smmrfld
Your definition doesn't really matter. The T&Cs do.
Though using the term 'calendar year' and then defining it in a way that is not the normal parlance is misleading.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 8:37 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, AA Plat. Pro
Originally Posted by fozziedoggie
That is a crazy statement date to have so early in the month like that (although I know a lot of folks like them early). Unfortunately I don't believe you have any recourse, you could always ask for a Diamond challenge for the new year if they are willing to do it from Hilton, explain the issue to them.

My Delta Amex and the Hilton Surpass is truly a calendar year spend but it seems like the Visa cards from Citi and Chase tend to use the statement date.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

Now I'm confused more then ever. I sent Citi a secure message explaining my displeasure & thought maybe I had a chance of getting the status instated because I didn't wait until Jan to pay off my statement and did that in 2013 year as well as the spending.

So I received a phone call reply from them this evening (missed the call, got a message) explaining that they are sorry that I was displeased with what happened but that it actually works in my favor in that if I just spend an additional $1300 by my Feb closing date I will gain the Diamond status from Mar. 2014 through all of 2015.

Somehow this math does not add in any way or am I missing something?
Old Jan 8, 2014, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

interesting - this seems to differ for the way surpass calculates spending...
Old Jan 9, 2014, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by ukyank
Now I'm confused more then ever. I sent Citi a secure message explaining my displeasure & thought maybe I had a chance of getting the status instated because I didn't wait until Jan to pay off my statement and did that in 2013 year as well as the spending.

So I received a phone call reply from them this evening (missed the call, got a message) explaining that they are sorry that I was displeased with what happened but that it actually works in my favor in that if I just spend an additional $1300 by my Feb closing date I will gain the Diamond status from Mar. 2014 through all of 2015.

Somehow this math does not add in any way or am I missing something?
This would be correct if you have $38700 worth of purchase in your current January statement? If you have $38700 on your Jan 2014 statement, and spend another $1300 on your Feb 2014 statement, then you should get Diamond starting from end of Feb or beginning of March 2014... thru the 2014 year and 2015... and 2 or 3 month into 2016.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Need
This would be correct if you have $38700 worth of purchase in your current January statement? If you have $38700 on your Jan 2014 statement, and spend another $1300 on your Feb 2014 statement, then you should get Diamond starting from end of Feb or beginning of March 2014... thru the 2014 year and 2015... and 2 or 3 month into 2016.
The problem though is that I only spent about $8000 on the Jan statement so I haven't a clue what they were referring to. Maybe I should spend the $1300 & when I don't see a status change, send them an email with the voicemail attached asking here my diamond is
Old Feb 12, 2015, 9:22 am

Just got this email from Citi Reserve. Now it is officially Jan 1 to Dec 31!

Your Citi® Hilton HHonors™ Reserve card has always offered the opportunity to earn Hilton Diamond status. As this year begins, it's easier to keep track of the dates for spending towards Diamond status since it's now based on a calendar year.
Enjoy Diamond status and the benefits that come with it when you spend $40,000 on your card between January 1 and December 31.¹
Old Feb 12, 2015, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by Need
Just got this email from Citi Reserve. Now it is officially Jan 1 to Dec 31!
So what does this mean for diamond qualifying points earned during the end of 2014? Lost?
Old Feb 12, 2015, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by Starlord
So what does this mean for diamond qualifying points earned during the end of 2014? Lost?
You mean diamond qualifying dollars right? I don't think they will apply it to 2015, so yeah... probably gone.

Funny thing is that they said it will make it easier to track, but it is not. I don't think Citi website has YTD spent until the beginning of the year for the previous year. So the only way to tell your YTD spent is to go by statement amounts.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 6:40 pm

Still confused

I am confused about the new calendar year policy for the $40k spend to get Hhonors
diamond. Most of my January Citi Hhonors reserve charges for January have transaction
date of December (my statement closed Jan. 15). I just paid the bill in February. Do
only the transactions with a transaction date in 2015 count toward 2015 spend or
does the total amount of the Jan. bill count? Last year I made diamond from
Hilton stays but am traveling less this year.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by sjm0028
I am confused about the new calendar year policy for the $40k spend to get Hhonors
diamond. Most of my January Citi Hhonors reserve charges for January have transaction
date of December (my statement closed Jan. 15). I just paid the bill in February. Do
only the transactions with a transaction date in 2015 count toward 2015 spend
or
It appears so from the email quoted above and the posts immediately above yours.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by sjm0028
only the transactions with a transaction date in 2015 count toward 2015 spend or
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
It appears so from the email quoted above and the posts immediately above yours.
So I guess it would be to take January statement total and subtract out any transaction in Dec. After that add every month statement until Nov. In Dec, just count the amount until Dec 31... Oh and subtract out the annual fee!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.