Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Changes to free WiFi Elite benefit

Changes to free WiFi Elite benefit

Old Nov 21, 2014, 8:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, EL Al ???, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
I spoke with the night manager at the HGI I was at. I'm not sure he had all the details correct. I told him it was hard for me to work and asked him if this is a new Hilton policy. At first he wasn't forthcoming about this, but later admitted that it each property has the choice to enroll in this program or not and then he promptly offered to wave the charges for my stay.

He said he thought it was rolled out 2 months ago, but I think he is incorrect. He further stated, they wanted to charge less, but Hilton controls the pricing based on speeds offered.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 9:48 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Waiving this premium fee for Diamonds would be a nice palliative given the upcoming, onerous cessation of same-day cancellation come Jan. 1.

Come to think of it, allowing continuation of same-day cancellation for Diamonds would be a nice palliative, also.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 9:50 am
havnfn

Programs: Delta-DM; Hilton-Diamond; Hyatt-Diamond
Originally Posted by dave1013
Waiving this premium fee for Diamonds would be a nice palliative given the upcoming, onerous cessation of same-day cancellation come Jan. 1.

Come to think of it, allowing continuation of same-day cancellation for Diamonds would be a nice palliative, also.
Agreed!

^
Old Nov 21, 2014, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by dave1013

^
Another way to hit your most frequent guests the hardest. Frequent travelers tend to also be the ones with most last minute changes.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 9:59 am

There were additional changes this morning to the premium offers. Sorry I wasn't able to screen capture.

1. The language was changed from "For VPN" to "For Best VPN experience" use premium.
2. The price for premium was no longer displayed on the initial options list. Instead you were taken to a second page where you had the ability to chose to prepay for more than 1 day of premium use.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 11:40 am
Company Representative - Honors by Hilton

Programs: Hilton Honors
Hi all,

We provide Gold and Diamond members at all of our hotels that do not require a resort charge complimentary standard internet. We've added a paid premium tier for those who require more bandwidth to download large files and stream high definition media. The price for Premium Internet access will vary by property.

We expect that guests should be able to access VPN using all levels of internet service, however Premium access would likely provide an optimal user experience because of the volume of data that is transmitted via VPN and other similar applications.

Please let me know if you have any other questions!

Cheers,
Erin
Old Dec 4, 2014, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HHonorsRepresentative
Hi all,

We provide Gold and Diamond members at all of our hotels that do not require a resort charge complimentary standard internet. We've added a paid premium tier for those who require more bandwidth to download large files and stream high definition media. The price for Premium Internet access will vary by property.

We expect that guests should be able to access VPN using all levels of internet service, however Premium access would likely provide an optimal user experience because of the volume of data that is transmitted via VPN and other similar applications.

Cheers,
Erin
How disappointing that elites are now relegated to standard slow internet for email and basic web browsing only. I thought things had changed recently as I FaceTime with my wife every night and the last month or so it barely works if at all when before was no problem on the complimentary internet. I also noticed on my last stay that if I sign in with my HHonors login I go to a page to have to pay instead of directly to the internet so if want complimentary have to use the hotel code which seems to give the slow old dial up speeds. Yet another reduction in benefits.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 1:00 am

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
They should offer Golds and Diamonds the free enhanced speed Internet. Marriott does that for their elites. The Marriott I stayed at in China, where they offer free Internet to all Rewards Members regardless of status, told me that any option is complimentary as long as you are a Rewards Member.

Hilton is REALLY fumbling lately in my book. This downgrade in free Internet speeds, the change in cancellation policy, and some run ins I've had with them regarding improperly denied Best Rate Guarantees which I ought to report to the state attorney general have really been let downs for me.

Perhaps they can do a points devaluation in the next few months to add to it all.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 1:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Hi all,

Cheers,
Erin
Why does Hilton levy large charges on services that less expensive chains provide for free?

Let your Corporate Overlords know the customers are very unhappy
Old Dec 5, 2014, 1:38 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Room rates have really firmed up (ie increased) in last 9months since April

as such there is absolutely no need to gouge loyal elites for another incidental

If I can not have premium and basic I sun-suitable as is often the case, since I can not recover a premium fee I will stay elsewhere

I noted Hilton park lane only give premium to HHDs now but the fact diamonds can choose for free is not mentioned to me in either checkin or a welcome letter
Old Dec 5, 2014, 2:12 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond
What do I need on most stays in a hotel?
1) A clean comfortable room
2) working internet.

Full stop.

Internet that does not allow me to make a skype video call for free in today's day and age is plain uncompetitive for someone staying at hotels as regular as a HH Diamond.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi all,

Cheers,
Erin
Erin,

This policy is devoid of all sense. Before: Internet (specified in T&Cs as being faster/higher bandwidth) FREE to Gold and Diamond. Everyone else has to pay, not my problem. NOW: Gold & Diamond get free Basic Internet that every Tom, Dick & Harry now gets for free. How is this anything other than a downgrade of the benefits? To get the Internet access one was entitled to before we have to PAY.

It may interest year that the hotels I have stayed at so far are providing the free faster Internet for Diamond and FD staff I've spoken to find the new policy as bizarre as I do.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 10:31 am

Programs: Marriott Gold | Hilton Diamond | Hyatt Plat | UA 1K | HA Plat| Hertz President's circle
Originally Posted by hugolover
Erin,

This policy is devoid of all sense. Before: Internet (specified in T&Cs as being faster/higher bandwidth) FREE to Gold and Diamond. Everyone else has to pay, not my problem. NOW: Gold & Diamond get free Basic Internet that every Tom, Dick & Harry now gets for free. How is this anything other than a downgrade of the benefits? To get the Internet access one was entitled to before we have to PAY.

It may interest year that the hotels I have stayed at so far are providing the free faster Internet for Diamond and FD staff I've spoken to find the new policy as bizarre as I do.
Agree 100% this new policy is just disjointed from any logic. Unless Hilton wanted to make sure they did not have any competitive advantage. Internet speed is very important when picking a hotel.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 12:19 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by little_dc
Agree 100% this new policy is just disjointed from any logic. Unless Hilton wanted to make sure they did not have any competitive advantage. Internet speed is very important when picking a hotel.
This coupled with the no more same-day cancellation policy may move some Gold/Diamond members to Starwood and their SPG program.

Many, but not all, Starwood properties continue to offer same-day cancellation.

All Starwood properties offer the highest speed internet complimentary to their Platinum (highest level) members and Gold members may select it as one of their amenities in lieu of points.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 8:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, Hilton Dia, SPG PT, National Exec Elite, MAR Silver, Ex UA 1K
As a Diamond I have been disappointed by the reductions in benefits. VPN is a requirement for my stays. Starwood actually is a much better program. I am only a lifetime gold member but get same day cancellations, great internet, upgrades, etc. Wish HHonors had a lifetime program as well. May be time to switch back to achieve lifetime platinum on SPG.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.