Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Edinburgh City Centre {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Edinburgh City Centre {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2013, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: EBD, HH Diamond, BW Rewards Diamond, Nordic Choice Club Platinum, Sixt Diamond, Avis President
Arrow DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Edinburgh City Centre {GBR}

Booked a room in early fall at upcoming DT Edinburgh, UK for the period 24-25 March 2014. Hotel was supposed to open March 1st 2014.

By pure coicidence I have learned that this hotel now is opening April 1st 2014, i.e. my booking is not valid and I cannot stay at this hotel.

Hilton has not notified me about this.

Shouldn't I at least have gotten an email from Hilton with apologies and with an offer to rebook me to another Hilton ? BookingI made was advance purchase and at a good rate I have to say (however, my CC has still not been charged). Rate is non refundable an cannot be cancelled.

Anybody with experiences from a similiar situation ? Advices ?
Old Nov 2, 2013, 1:07 pm

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
Originally Posted by Musta Pekka
Booked a room in early fall at upcoming DT Edinburgh, UK for the period 24-25 March 2014. Hotel was supposed to open March 1st
I have had the opposite experience. I noticed by chance that a Hilton hotel I had booked would become a Radisson before my stay. I was not notified by Hilton and when I contacted them they said that the Radisson would honour my reservation and that I should contact the hotel directly if I had any questions.
Also I would get no Hhonor points

As far as I can see the future Doubletree is a hotel called Point Hotel Edinburgh at the moment ( hope my information is correct ). As a test I tried to book a room in March which is possible. They accept bookings till first of April.
So my advice is to contact the hotel directly and ask about the status of the reservation.

http://www.pointhoteledinburgh.co.uk...edinburgh.html

In case you prefer to cancel - I had a non-cancel reservation and could not cancel through Hilton. But the hotel allowed me to cancel and returned my money.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 3:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: EBD, HH Diamond, BW Rewards Diamond, Nordic Choice Club Platinum, Sixt Diamond, Avis President
Originally Posted by helosc
I have had the opposite experience. I noticed by chance that a Hilton hotel I had booked would become a Radisson before my stay. I was not notified by Hilton and when I contacted them they said that the Radisson would honour my reservation and that I should contact the hotel directly if I had any questions.
Also I would get no Hhonor points

As far as I can see the future Doubletree is a hotel called Point Hotel Edinburgh at the moment ( hope my information is correct ). As a test I tried to book a room in March which is possible. They accept bookings till first of April.
So my advice is to contact the hotel directly and ask about the status of the reservation.

http://www.pointhoteledinburgh.co.uk...edinburgh.html

In case you prefer to cancel - I had a non-cancel reservation and could not cancel through Hilton. But the hotel allowed me to cancel and returned my money.
Contacted Diamond desk who could not cancel as this was advance purchase. They however contacted hotel and requested cancellation.

I got today email from the hotel who accepted the cancellation without any penalaties.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 5:35 pm
cjd

Looks like the Doubletree Edinburgh hotel is now open. See:
http://doubletree3.hilton.com/en/hot...CDI/index.html
Old Jun 23, 2014, 1:33 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Anyone stayed at this property yet? I'm especially interested in opinions that might contrast it (assuming a basic room) with the WA Caledonian--which I'm sure is better at the high end. The DT is currently about half the redemption cost at 30K/night, and given the potentially quieter location, I'd consider moving a reward stay there since all I'll redeem for at the Caledonian is a basic room.

Although dropping 465,020 points for one night in a king junior suite is tempting. . .
Old Jun 24, 2014, 12:50 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, IHG Gold, Oman Gold
Compare

Hi lwildernorva

I have stayed at both. The WA basic room is nice, plush with good finishes, however still and old building. It is not that quiet, creaky floors. If you have room facing castle you get noise from Lothian Road, a very busy road. Rooms on other side are quieter but no view.
I was given drinks voucher for 2 drinks beer or wine (diamond). No free breakfast. It is expensive and is so so. You do get spa at WA.

Doubletree, used to be Point Hotel. Remember spending many nights drinking in the local pub attached to the hotel
Nicely decorated, it used to be a department store back in the day. I was on room top floor (deluxe) big room, bit strange with long corridor opening to room, but that is good as keeps noise from corridor away, very dark rooms which I was not sure of. Bathrooms fine. Bed good and nice view to castle. Top floor rooms have smaller attic style windows, those on lowers floor have large windows. If weekend this area is noisy as lots of pubs etc in area. But good base for sightseeing.
Great breakfast incl. Large gym in basement which was very quiet. Overall I would not waste money/points on WA, it is nice as a bit of luxury but the DT does the job.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 8:43 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, BA Silver, FB Explorer
I haven't stayed in the WA since it changed to a WA from Hilton branding so not sure how it is nowadays.

I've stayed 3 times recently in the Doubletree as I got very low rates there. The rooms are a good size and the décor has been done recently so in decent condition. The rooms with castle view are nice but there is quite a lot of noise from the 3 pubs on the junction below the hotel at weekends. I thought the breakfast was very poor actually - food was poor quality, hot food was tepid, not much fruit but plenty of fried stuff. On my last stay though they had changed the Diamond breakfast from full buffet to just continental so maybe the hot food is now warmer. Very variable staff from really lovely to uninterested and can't be bothered. Better value than the WA but overall I'm not that keen on the hotel.

Last edited by NorthOrSouth; Jun 24, 2014 at 8:46 am Reason: Breakfast Diamond change added
Old Jun 24, 2014, 8:53 am

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
FWIW, I had a four night award/points stay at the Cale last August and really enjoyed it. Had afternoon tea in the Peacock Lounge and drinks in the bar, both were very good.

Since the property had just re-branded, I had booked my points stay when it was still a Hilton, so I got much better points return. As a Diamond, I was given an upgrade to a higher floor and a $25 property credit. I tried to argue for daily breakfast since I had booked the property when it was a Hilton and not a WA; they refused, hence the $25 credit.

Yes, the WA is more points, but it's a higher-end, full-service property. I thought the rooms were quiet and well appointed, I would definitely stay there again. My corporate rate is about $160USD per night, so I probably wouldn't use points again.

If you're not looking for a special occasion hotel, then save your points and stay at the DT.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 1:15 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Thanks for the replies. This is my fifth trip to Edinburgh so I'm familiar with the area around the Caledonian, but I've never stayed there. This is somewhat of a special occasion trip for me (the kickoff for a six-week stay all over Scotland), and I got the room at 50K rather than the 70K charged during the Festival. The DT's 30K rate is attractive, but at 50K I did not feel I was being overcharged.

The problem may have been solved for me as the DT now is unavailable for one of the two nights I intend to stay there in mid-July so I think I'll hold onto my Caledonian reservation. I'll keep the DT in the back of my mind for future trips, however, as well as its location near three pubs. I'm a solo traveler for this trip, which probably argues in favor of the pubs' location, but I suspect that advantage gets turned into a distinct disadvantage with a significant other or a family along.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 4:37 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire Amb, BA Blue
I too had a top floor Deluxe Room which was nice but as it was right next to the 24hr Gym door you got guests going in at all hours.
I was lucky my stay was the only day in the month which the Skybar was open (1st Thursday of the month) and it was excellent.
However i must agree with NorthOrSouth that the breakfast was poor. The sausages were an uncooked grey colour and the "grilled" bacon was floating in half an inch of "fluid". My partner thought the scrambled egg was like sludge - i passed after looking at it
I was going to email my concerns to the F & B Manager but no email showing on the hotel homepage.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 5:25 am

Programs: HH - Diamond BA - Blue
Has anyone had recent experience here? Book in for Nov - first time staying at this new DT.

I've asked very nicely for a castle view
Old Oct 19, 2014, 6:32 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, BA Silver, FB Explorer
I last stayed in late August. I'd say the views I had in June are still the same now (see post above) except I made the mistake of eating in their restaurant one evening as I was back in late. I won't do that again. Although I found the breakfast to be poor I thought dinner might be better. It was so horrible I ended up leaving most of it and heading to the local Sainsburys to top up with some edible food.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by NorthOrSouth
I last stayed in late August. I'd say the views I had in June are still the same now (see post above) except I made the mistake of eating in their restaurant one evening as I was back in late. I won't do that again. Although I found the breakfast to be poor I thought dinner might be better. It was so horrible I ended up leaving most of it and heading to the local Sainsburys to top up with some edible food.

We are actually out at a dinner at the Caley so dinner won't be an issue, good to know though.

I have seen a few reports about a poor breakfast, that isn't good to hear
Old Nov 13, 2014, 1:04 pm

A quick trip report...

Stayed in early November for a dinner we were attending at 'The Caley'. I would have stayed at The Caley but the Doubletree was well under half the price at the time of booking, plus I wanted to try the Doubletree out.

We booked a King Guest Room on the summer sale for around £66 which I thought was a not bad price.

Checkin: Arrived at about 2pm. Room was ready for us on the 4th floor, the HHonours floor, apparently. I have no idea what exactly makes it the HHonours floor outside of the badges. Their computers were down, so it was all done with paper but they had all of our booking details and knew we were gold card holders etc.

The HHonours floor!

Room: I asked for a view, and we did get one. Room was nice enough, if a little dark. The lighting isn't great. No upgrade as far as I could tell, I guess they might call the view an upgrade. Aircon was there, didn't need to use it. Bathroom small but nice and shower pressure good. I didn't notice any noise from the streets below, but in saying that we were slightly refreshed from our dinner at the Caley so I don't think we would have noticed anyway!!

View from the room.

Breakfast: Full breakfast included with the Gold card. We went down for it at around 10.10, it was supposed to be on until 10.30. It was fine. Certainly not the best I've had, but not the worst. No hash browns. Haggis looked vile but tasted ok. Eggs were seriously watery. Sausages were sat in 2 inches of fat/juices. You can order eggs etc. off the menu if you want free of charge. They started clearing up before 10.30 so make sure you get there in time!

Wifi: Down for the duration of our stay. A letter from one of the managers in the room explained it was for 'emergency maintenance'. No mention at checkin. So poor on that front.

Overall I would probably stay again, however the room rates seem to be on the increase, regularly being over £100 per night. I'm not sure I would rush back at that price really. The points & cash deals they do at 12,000 point + £32 are not bad value, if available.

Last edited by lifetimeblue; Dec 16, 2015 at 3:06 pm
Old Nov 15, 2014, 1:57 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by lifetimeblue
A quick trip report...

Stayed in early November for a dinner we were attending at 'The Caley'. I would have stayed at The Caley but the Doubletree was well under half the price at the time of booking, plus I wanted to try the Doubletree out.

We booked a King Guest Room on the summer sale for around £66 which I thought was a not bad price.

Checkin: Arrived at about 2pm. Room was ready for us on the 4th floor, the HHonours floor, apparently. I have no idea what exactly makes it the HHonours floor outside of the badges. Their computers were down, so it was all done with paper but they had all of our booking details and knew we were gold card holders etc.

The HHonours floor!

Room: I asked for a view, and we did get one. Room was nice enough, if a little dark. The lighting isn't great. No upgrade as far as I could tell, I guess they might call the view an upgrade. Aircon was there, didn't need to use it. Bathroom small but nice and shower pressure good. I didn't notice any noise from the streets below, but in saying that we were slightly refreshed from our dinner at the Caley so I don't think we would have noticed anyway!!

View from the room.

Breakfast: Full breakfast included with the Gold card. We went down for it at around 10.10, it was supposed to be on until 10.30. It was fine. Certainly not the best I've had, but not the worst. No hash browns. Haggis looked vile but tasted ok. Eggs were seriously watery. Sausages were sat in 2 inches of fat/juices. You can order eggs etc. off the menu if you want free of charge. They started clearing up before 10.30 so make sure you get there in time!

Wifi: Down for the duration of our stay. A letter from one of the managers in the room explained it was for 'emergency maintenance'. No mention at checkin. So poor on that front.

Overall I would probably stay again, however the room rates seem to be on the increase, regularly being over £100 per night. I'm not sure I would rush back at that price really. The points & cash deals they do at 12,000 point + £32 are not bad value, if available.
Nice review there mate, smiled at the " slightly refreshed" quote.....haha...nice pics too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.