Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Lisbon - Fontana Park {PRT}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 9, 2018, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
GUIDE to the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Lisbon - Fontana Park

Rua Engeneiro Vieira da Silva 2, Lisbon, 1050-105, Portugal
TEL: +351-21-0410600; FAX: +351-21-3579244
Email [email protected]
Website https://doubletree3.hilton.com/en/hotels/portugal/doubletree-by-hilton-hotel-lisbon-fontana-park-LISFPDI/index.html
Location: Saldanha residential neighborhood, two blocks south Praça Duque de Saldanha

Check-in: 2:00 pm, Check-out: 12:00 pm
Currency: Euro (€)
Parking: Self parking: 15.00 €
Service animals allowed: Yes
Pets allowed: No
Non-Smoking (Smoking area is available in the patio, outside sheltered pub lounge
Avoid rooms x53 in front of lifts
Streetside rooms noisy

F&B: Saldanha Mar, for Portuguese and Mediterranean dishes
Fontana Bar & Lounge, snacks and drinks, dedicated reading space
Link to page with hours, links to menus
When dining at the hotel children under 5 years old eat free when staying at the hotel, and children aged between 6-12 receive a 50% discount. Children over 12 years pay full price.

Conveniences:
Lounge: No
Business Center: Yes
Power in room: 220 VAC Euro, UK (no multivolt outlet in bathroom, no USB power outlets)
Lighting in room: adequate
Heat & air: Central, thermostat nearly useless
Fitness Center: Yes, 24 hr TechnoGym
Pool: No
Market across street
Neighborhood restaurants, banks

LIS Airport distance from Hotel: 5.3 km.
Drive Time: 12 min in minimal traffic
Taxi: 12 € (bag and night surcharges)
Metro: 2.00 € (red line, 2 long blocks to Saldanha station)
Bus: 3.50 €
30 minutes walk to Rossio Square downtown
See post #64 for maps, below for links
Best bet for breakfast, lunch, pastries is Pastelaria Versailles, ten minutes walk, opulent interiors and excellent baked goods etc. since 1922.
Good informal family restaurant nearby, Mãe (Mom’s), ten minutes walking at 92B Rua D. Estefania
Best museum nearby, 20 minutes walk, the Callouste Gulbenkian Museum. Opulent gardens, world class art collections.

Link to Lisboa Metro home page, map and schedule links (English version)
Link to Lisbon Metro Guide
Link to Carris Lisbon bus system home page (English version)
Link to Hop-on Hop-off Lisbon home page

Link to Lonely Planet - Lisbon Pages
Link to Trip Advisor Lisbon pages
Link to The Fork / La Fourchette pages for dining and booking dining (App is very handy)
Print Wikipost

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Lisbon - Fontana Park {PRT}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2013, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Originally Posted by fozziedoggie
Checked in for a five night stay, as others have said, very modern fee. Rooms have concrete surface tops and built-in benches used throughout the room.

Received an upgraded room to 7th floor; King Deluxe with terrace ^. Although, it's a bit too cold to enjoy sitting out there. My room has a very large soaking tub complete with under water "mood" lights. On-site restaurants are cozy and not large and over-sized. Given it's so close to Christmas, the place seems empty, so maybe that helped with the upgrade?

As a HHonors Diamond, will receive free breakfast each morning at the lobby level restaurant. Bathrobes and slippers waiting in the room when I arrived ^

Although I'm not a big fan of the uber modernist design/style, this place is fine for a short stay. Most people either LOVE the look/feel or don't care for it; no in between. The staff here are very friendly and try very hard to please.

I have no problem suggesting this place.
Update:
Nearly done with my stay here (leaving in one day).
Everyone here has been remarkable, going out of their way to accommodate requests; they try hard. Always nice when the staff strives to give the guest a good experience.

On-site restaurants are adequate, but nothing extraordinary; the bar area is really hip and great for hanging out...not too loud.

The bathroom location/layout of the rooms is either a love it or hate it proposition with no in-between. If you stay here, you'll understand; I am not a fan.

Great place to stay when visiting Lisbon.

Off to Barcelona next.

Happy holidays to all.

Fozzie.
JDiver likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 11:28 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Several of my own making in which I was recently fast-tracked to super-duper-über-elite status
Recently stayed for five nights. Pretty much the same experience as other posters have noted.

Staff were all great and eager to please, but the decor/room-layout has some issues. Very much of a design over function approach. They claim it won best room design award. No accounting for taste, I guess. I actually didn't hate the design, just found it very user unfriendly.

First night we were put in a king room, which was actually two twin mattresses on a single platform bed, which was ok. Bed was quite comfortable. Major problem with this room was that the closets were built off the ground by about 3 ft. Not sure what the thinking was, maybe that the space under the closet would be used to store luggage? Problem was my wife could not reach the hanger bar in the closet. Also, one of the closet doors opened onto the beside table, so if there was anything on that half of the bedside table it would get knocked over.

The room itself was a bit cramped. The bathroom was also a bit small, with a shower/tub combo. Not a lot of counter space for sundries, etc. Another major inconvenience is that there are very limited plugs around the rooms. Two on one side of the bed, but none on the other and few, if any, around the room. We had to get them to give us an extension strip to use.

We talked to the front desk the next morning, and they said that all of the rooms had that type of closet. They said they could try and upgrade us to a slightly larger room for free, or to a 7th floor king exec room for an extra 50 Euros. They told us to come back after our breakfast and they'd show us what was available.

When we came back, they said there was no availability for the slightly larger rooms, but they could upgrade us to the 7th floor king exec for free. ^

Turned out those rooms have normal closets, so that worked out well. The room was nice, but as others have mentioned a weird bathtub set up. Basically an open bathroom w/ half the tub jutting out into the room. Water everywhere when showering, which meant having to spread towels all around the tub.

DIA recognition was adequate. Doubletree cookies were a bit dry, probably because we got there so late in the eve. Two big bottles of water in the room, which was replenished a couple of times, but not every day. Free wifi, speed was acceptable. The welcome letter stated that as Gold/Diamond we were entitled to continental breakfast in the restaurant. However, at breakfast they did not limit us to continental and we got the full breakfast buffet, which was quite good.

Had some issues with the HVAC, seemed to either get stuck on hot or cold. We had the maintenance guy come up once to fix it, but it locked to cold again the next day.

Maintenance guy was very helpful in getting the TV to accept an HDMI connection so we could watch some videos from our iPad. He had to bring up a separate remote as the "input" function on the TV had been disabled.

Overall it was a good stay, mostly because of the great service from the staff. Location is a bit out of the way, but very close to two Metro stations, including one that has a direct line to the airport (we didn't use it, though--too many bags to lug).
JDiver likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 12:12 pm

Programs: hhonors diamond, spg gold, mileage plus 1K, a nobody with delta skymiles
Cash and Points Stay Question

Looking at their rates for next year. There is a cash and points option at 37 euro and 12000 points. It looks attractive vs booking the room with all points at 40000/night. Sorry if this is "newbiish" question: 1) do cash and points reservation earn Hhonors points? 2) 28000 pts for 37 euro ( about $50 ) or .0017 redemption value, is this a good value for redeeming points?

I have never done cash and point redemption, so want to get your feedback on this. Thanks for all your input.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 2:02 am

Programs: LH FTL, HH ♢, HGP P, Accor P
Originally Posted by pocahontas
1) do cash and points reservation earn Hhonors points?
Money and points reservations are considered award stays. (Sadly) You will not receive points for the money part. You will receive points for incidentals during the stay and the stay will count as a stay for HHonors elite qualification.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 3:02 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
2) 28000 pts for 37 euro ( about $50 ) or .0017 redemption value, is this a good value for redeeming points?
Better to go for 12000 points + 37 euro. Hilton point is worth at least a third of a cent and I value at .4 cents.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 10:21 pm

Programs: hhonors diamond, spg gold, mileage plus 1K, a nobody with delta skymiles
Thanks. I'll go with the cash and points then. Will book a cancelable reservation for next year - in the early planning stage for next year's vacay. Looking at Portugal and Andalusian cities. There's an HGI in Seville, yaay.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 1:20 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond
Thanks. I'll go with the cash and points then. Will book a cancelable reservation for next year - in the early planning stage for next year's vacay. Looking at Portugal and Andalusian cities. There's an HGI in Seville, yaay.
There are also the Hilton Vilamoura and Conrad Algarve in the Faro area. However, that is a very touristy area, not necessarily to everyone's liking. In the countryside of Portugal I'd highly recommend to book small independent hotels, there are numerous fantastic Quinta conversions throughout the country, at excellent prices but still pool facilities etc, which this summer we always had for ourselves during the day at various locations.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I stayed here back in March and enjoyed my stay. Although the hallway on my floor was narrow, dimly lit with the walls painted black. Kind of reminded me of a Stanley Kubrick film.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 7:17 pm
cjd

Originally Posted by TomMM
Although the hallway on my floor was narrow, dimly lit with the walls painted black. Kind of reminded me of a Stanley Kubrick film.
That's exactly the reason we didn't like it! Also our upgraded room had the bath/shower in the bedroom! No privacy - very weird. The toilet was also totally black and dimly lit. Bedroom walls were wafer thin. My wife refuses to return to this hotel and that's a first!! Off topic, but the Hilton Vilamora and Conrad Algarve were superb and we will return to them.

Last edited by cjd; Sep 25, 2014 at 10:44 am
Old Sep 24, 2014, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
Originally Posted by cjd
That's exactly the reason we didn't like it! Also our upgraded room had a bath/shower in the bedroom! No privacy - very weird. The toilet was also totally black and dimly lit. Bedroom walls were wafer thin. My wife refuses to return to this hotel and that's a first!! Off topic, but the Hilton Vilamora and Conrad Algarve were superb and we will return to them.
It's the only hotel I've stayed at where mirrors made the room darker.

In other news, despite two rooms and a paid stay (3 nights), 0 stays, 0 nights, and 0 HHonors points were credited. I refuse to go back to hotels that pull this kind of stuff.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 7:30 am
Company Representative - Honors by Hilton

Programs: Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by deirdre
It's the only hotel I've stayed at where mirrors made the room darker.

In other news, despite two rooms and a paid stay (3 nights), 0 stays, 0 nights, and 0 HHonors points were credited. I refuse to go back to hotels that pull this kind of stuff.
Hi deirdre,

If you PM me your full name, HHonors number and email address, I'll see what I can do!

Thanks,
Erin
JDiver likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 2:22 pm

Programs: EK Gold, BA Gold, / HHonours : Diamond ,
Just stayed there for a couple of nights with the wife, the only thing I can say is that if you have any suicidal tendencies then this is not the hotel for you !
What on earth where they thinking? Colour scheme is black with a splash of black and oh yeah a bit more black to cover any of the white which had the audacity to try and peek through. There was however airplane emergency floor lighting strip style done in a green colour in the corridor leading to the rooms, or Alcatraz way as my wife took to calling it.
The only thing I suspect is that it drives people down to the bar to drink more of the extremely tasty cucumber flavoured Gin & Tonic. Wait a minute,, is gin a depressant ???
Old Oct 1, 2014, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bbar2000
Just stayed there for a couple of nights with the wife, the only thing I can say is that if you have any suicidal tendencies then this is not the hotel for you !
What on earth where they thinking? Colour scheme is black with a splash of black and oh yeah a bit more black to cover any of the white which had the audacity to try and peek through. There was however airplane emergency floor lighting strip style done in a green colour in the corridor leading to the rooms, or Alcatraz way as my wife took to calling it.
Lets not forgot about the room numbers embroidered in the carpet! When the girl at the front desk told me to look for the room number on the floor, the expression on my face must have been "WTH"!
Old Jul 28, 2015, 9:26 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond; Emirates Gold
Hi all,

Dare I ask if anyone has any recent experiences at this property to share, please?

My friend and I will be going to Portugal for 2 weeks in September, spending a week at the Conrad Algarve and a week in Lisbon. I will be using my HH points for both stays.

I'm really looking forward to staying at the Conrad, but I can't really say the same for the DT after reading the reviews on Trip Advisor. As I'm not travelling for business on this occasion, I'm also concerned about the location - although there seems to be conflicting comments about the location of the hotel.

Due to no twin rooms being available at the DT for my dates, I, reluctantly, had to go for the Junior Suite. My friend does have points to redeem at the Radisson but after seeing the location I said I would book the DT. I even thought about 328,000 points and looking for an AirBnB in Lisbon!

Any views would be very much welcomed!
Old Jul 28, 2015, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Nothing wrong with the location if you're simply on holiday (not on a business trip where you need to be near a particular location).

The hotel definitely has its quirks, you will either love it or hate it (design-wise) with no inbetween. I personally didn't care for the bath tub right next to my bed, but it was an upgrade to a larger room. ^

As for amount of points/room availability, keep checking back, as inventory always comes and goes (I constantly re-book points stays for lower redemption rates, standard room coming available or changing to points and cash). Unless you plan on spending 18 hours a day in the hotel, I wouldn't worry about it, go out and enjoy Lisbon and just sleep in the room.

Originally Posted by MrLee
Hi all,

Dare I ask if anyone has any recent experiences at this property to share, please?

My friend and I will be going to Portugal for 2 weeks in September, spending a week at the Conrad Algarve and a week in Lisbon. I will be using my HH points for both stays.

I'm really looking forward to staying at the Conrad, but I can't really say the same for the DT after reading the reviews on Trip Advisor. As I'm not travelling for business on this occasion, I'm also concerned about the location - although there seems to be conflicting comments about the location of the hotel.

Due to no twin rooms being available at the DT for my dates, I, reluctantly, had to go for the Junior Suite. My friend does have points to redeem at the Radisson but after seeing the location I said I would book the DT. I even thought about 328,000 points and looking for an AirBnB in Lisbon!

Any views would be very much welcomed!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.