Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Redeeming Citi Card Honors Certificates - Category inflation question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2013, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Long story short (well, I guess not so short, but I hope concise):

I applied for the Citi HHonors Reserve VISA card in late 2012 and was offered certificates for two weekend nights at specified properties* for making $2500 in eligible purchases during the first four months. I made the necessary qualifying purchases within the time period and in mid-January received the two certificates, each good for one year from the date issued.

----------
* Quote from the footnote on the offer: "Weekend night certificate(s) is (are) earned after purchase requirements have been met with the Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve Card. A weekend night certificate is valid for one (1) weekend night standard accommodation, double occupancy, subject to availability at any property in the Hilton HHonors portfolio, excluding those listed at HHonors.com/weekendcertificate."
----------

I had planned to use the certificates in December of 2013 in Munich Germany during the Kristkindlmarkt period, well within the validity period of the certificates. I had also checked the list of excluded properties, and the Hiltons in Munich were not excluded. Not being certain of exactly when I would travel, I did not book the rooms, but planned to do so later in the year.

As we all know, on 19 February, to take effect on 28 March 2013, Hilton revised the categories of its properties, adding categories 8 - 10 (moving from 7 categories to 10 categories) and adding seasonality.

At the time, I noticed that Munich City had jumped 2 categories from 6 to 8, while the Munich Park had lept up 3, from 5 to 8. Outside of thinking that was outrageous, I didn't think it would interfere with my plans for Christmastime. I knew from when I had signed up for the HHonors Reserve promotion that the two Munich Hiltons were not on the excluded list.

OK, now I'm starting to plan for the Christmas holidays. I pull up the free weekend night certificates to make sure of the expiration dates, and notice that they say:

This certificate is valid for 1 weekend night standard accommodation at category 1-7 hotels and select Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts that offer standard rooms, subject to availability. This certificate may not be used at All-Inclusive or Hilton Grand Vacation properties.
(Bolding added by me.)

I don't remember seeing this at the time I received the certificates in January, but if I did I would have thought nothing of it, since there was nothing higher than a category 7 so saying "category 1-7" just emphasized they could be used at all Hilton hotels, and both Munich hotels were below category 7.

Now, of course, not only are there categories 8 through 10, but my Munich hotels have been bounced to category 8s.

I did a search here and in other travel BBs, but was unable to find if Hilton had issued a clarification on this, or if anyone else had tried to redeem the certificates for what are now category 8 - 10 properties.

So, my question is whether anyone here has attempted to redeem his or her certificates since the 28th of March, for a hotel now in categories 8 through 10, and if so what was the result? Did Hilton honor (or HHonor) the terms from the promotion offer, or are they insisting that the new category classifications apply?

Thanks for any information you can provide.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 11:47 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
For an attorney I guess that is about as concise as one could hope for

Why not just:

1) Call and ask.

2) Start a thread with the subject "Can I use Citi Reserve Weekend Cert at a Cat 8-10"? Then put SSIA in the body.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

"Call and ask" is a good idea, but I'm trying to scout the territory first. If this battle has been fought and won (or if there's no battle), great! But I'd feel better knowing before I deal with a CSR.

Thread title could have been more direct, I agree.

But enough about the metadata. Can you give me any information on the question?
Old Jun 20, 2013, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Others have reported in this thread that the 1 - 7 language wasn't a hindrance earlier in the year. I don't think there have been any reports lately. I would probably call.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 12:32 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
It has been confirmed by Hilton that the certificates are still valid at any property (aside from the excluded ones in the link you post above). They haven't updated the language on the application page yet, but here's a link from The Points Guy that confirms it:

http://thepointsguy.com/2013/04/citi...y-1-10-hotels/
Old Jun 20, 2013, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Fantastic!

Thanks, jerry and Deemus7. Just what I needed.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 12:46 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Counsellor
Fantastic!

Thanks, jerry and Deemus7. Just what I needed.
You're welcome! Just keep in mind that you still need standard rooms available to use the certificates, so the sooner you can book, the better. I'd bet that rooms around the holidays will not be available forever, but it looks like things are still pretty good right now at both locations.

Enjoy!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.