Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Loyalty Programs > Hilton | Hilton HHonors
Sign in using an external account

Old May 16, 13, 2:25 pm   #1

Hilton Chicago vs Palmer House?

Going to be staying in chicago for a conference. Trying to decide which of these I should stay at.

I stayed at the chicago hilton exec level previously and although my room was a bit cramped, the exec lounge and gym made up for it.

Seeing some of the comments on the palmer house, it sounds like it may be a downgrade so to speak to stay there since the lounge and gym are my priorities... any thoughts?

It also sounds like I would get lounge access on a non exec room being HH Gold at Palmer house which would save some money? I dont think non-exec floor golds had access to the chicago hilton lounge last time I was there so it wasnt too crowded.
DeezWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 14, 11:11 am   #2

i would be interested in a recent comparison. all the links seem to take me to much older comparisons. thanks!
travisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 14, 11:19 am   #3

The gym is larger and has windows at the Hilton. But the Palmer House gym isn't bad either and among the Chicago Hilton properties is the 2nd best. The executive lounges are fairly similar. Rate and desired location decides it for me.
Latest reports in these threads are from a few months ago (gyms haven't changed, lounge at PH supposedly improved - see comments):
Hilton Chicago
The Palmer House® Hilton
jerry a. laska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 14, 4:55 am   #4

Programs: Hilton, Marriott, United
Avoid Hilton Chicago

The Hilton Chicago is a terrible hotel. I stayed there in the summer of 2013. First it is huge and impersonal. You will not get good service. When I checked into my room their were dirty clothes left by the previous occupant that housekeeping failed to remove. In the morning when I visited the Executive lounge it looked like a tornado had come through. All of the tables were dirty. No one was cleaning up after the people after they left. No one was replenishing any food or snacks. After I complained I was given vouchers to eat breakfast in a lobby restaurant. I would never stay again.
colbertnation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 14, 6:11 am   #5

Programs: LH Sen; HH diamond
My personal view is that The Wit (a Doubletree) is better than both of these. Much more modern, much nicer breakfast (all a la carte) and better in room entertainment with more HBO channels.
Truffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 14, 1:53 pm   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truffles View Post
My personal view is that The Wit (a Doubletree) is better than both of these. Much more modern, much nicer breakfast (all a la carte) and better in room entertainment with more HBO channels.
If the travisw's priorities are the gym and an executive lounge then the Wit is obviously a poor choice, and travisw is correct to consider the Hilton and the PH. That's not to say that the WA, Wit, Conrad, Drake, or even the HI might be better choices based upon other criteria as discussed in other threads.
jerry a. laska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 14, 5:09 pm   #7

thank you all for the comments so far. jerry's post made me realize that i wasn't clear. won't spend much time at the hotel itself. want to be in the general area of thewit, chicago hilton, PH. executive lounge at both properties will be closed when i am in town. they're similar in price. so, just looking for advice on which to choose. but the other posts are helpful, because i will be back a couple of weeks later, and will likely be looking at staying on mag mile
Old Nov 30, 14, 7:49 am   #8

Programs: Delta Platinum (former NWA); Hyatt Diamond; HH Diamond, Starwood Platinum, ICH Platinum, Hertz Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisw View Post
chicago hilton, PH. executive lounge at both properties will be closed when i am in town.
So this is the part I don't understand. I can't comment on the executive lounge at the Chicago Hilton BUT the Palmer House executive lounge was recently remodeled and is open every day of the week. Why do you think it will be closed when you are in town?
donnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 14, 9:22 am   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnak View Post
So this is the part I don't understand. I can't comment on the executive lounge at the Chicago Hilton BUT the Palmer House executive lounge was recently remodeled and is open every day of the week. Why do you think it will be closed when you are in town?
Christmas . . . I just assumed. every time i am at a hotel on christmas eve/day in the u.s. they have closed the lounge.
Old Nov 30, 14, 9:57 am   #10

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
When my parents are in town, they prefer the Palmer House, mostly because it's closer to a lot of things.