Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Comp Upgrades for Golds - What are your experiences?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2013, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by as219
Did you request it or was it given to you without asking?
It was given to me without asking. With the rate I paid, I did not feel entitled to even ask the question!
Old Mar 20, 2013, 4:42 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold
Back in November

Conrad Chicago - Book Deluxe Suite on points - no upgrade due to all exec suits full, but offered points or a bottle of wine

W-A Chicago - Booked Deluxe King using Citi certs - upgraded to an Astoria Suite

This month

Vienna Danube - Booked Waterfront suite on a very good point deal - no additional upgrade (don't know if they even had anything larger)

Never ask about upgrades unless not booked through Hilton's site
Old Mar 21, 2013, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ucmd
Back in November

Conrad Chicago - Book Deluxe Suite on points - no upgrade due to all exec suits full, but offered points or a bottle of wine

W-A Chicago - Booked Deluxe King using Citi certs - upgraded to an Astoria Suite

This month

Vienna Danube - Booked Waterfront suite on a very good point deal - no additional upgrade (don't know if they even had anything larger)

We're staying at the W=A Chicago next weekend, also using the Citi certs... Boy am I hoping we get that upgrade!
Old Mar 21, 2013, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
I forgot to ask... Why not ask about upgrades? It seems to me that the worst they can do is say no...
Old Mar 21, 2013, 2:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, AA Platinum, National Emerald Exec Elite
Conrad Miami - Upgraded from King Deluxe room to 1-BR Suite. I emailed and was very fortunate for a generous manager. This was a one-time deal on two paid nights. Typical Gold upgrade is to a larger/corner/higher floor room.

Hilton Knoxville Airport - King, upgraded to Exec Floor
Old Mar 21, 2013, 8:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
We're staying at the W=A Chicago next weekend, also using the Citi certs... Boy am I hoping we get that upgrade!
Stayed there March 18-20 using points as a Gold. E-mailed GM a week before saying it was a special occasion (anniversary). Upgraded the day before online to a Waldorf Suite.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 9:15 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, Amex Plat
Hilton Abu Dhabi - Booked Standard King upgraded to Executive Plus.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 5:40 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by NoY
Hilton Abu Dhabi - Booked Standard King upgraded to Executive Plus.
Update: Moved up to King Residential Suite after check-in ^
Old Mar 22, 2013, 3:04 pm

1.Hilton Molino Stucky Venice
3.1 night paid (cheapest room avail) & one free night cert
4.Upgrade - Yes - To a 2 room executive suite which was very nice (not the best view though)
5.How and When When checking in
Old Mar 22, 2013, 8:06 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Hampton Inn & Suites, Flint/Grand Blanc, Mich.

Booked 2 queens
Paid stay
Upgraded to king studio suite (but had to turn it down since my sister was with me and needed two beds)
At check-in
Old Mar 23, 2013, 4:56 am

Programs: Marriott + Hilton. Fly BA and AZ

Hilton Abu Dhabi
Booked basic room upgraded to King Exec Plus room
Good upgrade with good lounge. Here Gold works
Old Mar 23, 2013, 5:42 am

Hilton New Delhi Janakpuri - booked Executive, received Junior Suite upon checkin.

Hilton Addis Ababa - booked by Ethiopian Airlines on a misconnection, received upgrade to Executive Room when presenting my HHonors number.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 8:02 am

I forgot to ask... Why not ask about upgrades? It seems to me that the worst they can do is say no...
I remember reading about the "$20 Trick" for a stay in Vegas we were doing once. From what I remember it seemed like it was a pretty universal thing. It goes something like you put $20 on the counter and ask if there are any free upgrades available for your room. I guess the person behind the counter has a lot of discretion when it comes to giving out free upgrades. If they hook you up you give them a $20 tip. Is that just a Vegas thing?
Old Mar 24, 2013, 6:32 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold
I haven't had a need to ask. They have either been sold out online or given me an upgrade.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist

I had never gotten anything at this property or any property if upgrade is not available.

I find that more and more properties will not say no, but will just say you got upgraded to a room with a fridge or either with the purifiy air machine, all of these are even less of a different view ! So therefore, you can't really say they didn't upgrade you at all !

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Mar 25, 2013 at 4:15 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.