Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

2013 Changes to HH Reward Stays, new cat., more pts needed

2013 Changes to HH Reward Stays, new cat., more pts needed

Old Feb 19, 2013, 1:44 pm

hhonors will see this posts and lough a lot... sorry but this has nothing to do with customer service...

I really hope that they will recognize that this is the wrong way and moreover i wish that people stand together and avoid chains and "loyality" programs like this.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 1:45 pm

Programs: SPG Plat and that is that!
Wow

I'm just a casual Hilton goer. Just being objective - this is crazy. The little tiny Hampton Inn I go to for 25,000 will be 40,000 every month but 1 (why bother).

The Hilton in Ocean City will now be 80,000 points during the summer (50,000 now).

Unbelievable.

Can't say I'm leaving b/c I never really came in - but this is just awful.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
WTH... SOB... I left Hilton previously because of all the price inflation, and thought maybe it has settled down. I just started collecting points again and HHonors has another devaluation. I just need to stay away permanently. Between Hilton and Marriott, the depreciation for the hotel award program is ridiculous.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta Platinum, HHonors Diamond, PC Platinum
Pdf of new categories here http://hhonors3.hilton.com/resources...egoryChart.pdf

I just looked at some of my upcoming reward stays for Hilton Prague, Hilton Prague Old Town, Hilton Dresden, Conrad Dublin, and DT Morrison Dublin and do not see major devaluation. Some points may have gone up but it is not a deal breaker so far for me.

And reservations made before March 28 will be honored at the old rate. Only if you make changes after March 28 will you be charged the new rate.

Originally Posted by HHonors
When do the new changes become effective? What happens if I want to book a reward stay before they are effective? Can I make modifications to existing reservations after they become effective?

The new changes will become effective as of 12:01AM CST on Mar 28, 2013. Until this time, you can redeem Points for rewards stays at the current prices. You can book online, call +1-800-HHONORS (+1-800-446-6677, toll-free in the United States) or contact your local Hilton Reservations and Customer Care center. After this date, you can continue to make modifications; however, all standard room redemptions will follow the new standard room chart. Therefore, if the number of points changes from what was originally booked, up or down, the new point values will apply.
I have seen this before when ALON/TEEN/GLON awards went from 1000,000 to 150,000 or 175,000. It is a devaluation no doubt especially if you want to go to Bora Bora or the Maldives. Make plans now and you can mitigate some of the damages. Or bail.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond
So I'm hoping if we have booked later in the year the awards will be honored?
Old Feb 19, 2013, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
I love when they post these changes and make the file so user friendly. Who the hell looks for a property by its name? Why not publish the list by state/city and country/city for foreign properties? Oh wait....because that would be too easy and we would quickly be able to look up the changes.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by Notenut
Actually I don't think it's that much of a dramatic change from the current levels:

CAT. HH Points
1 7,500
2 12,500
3 25,000
4 30,000
5 35,000
6 40,000
7 50,000
Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts 50,00080,000

It's just giving a range in each category, probably based on availability. What remains to be seen is how many hotels will jump to the 2 highest levels; and are these levels all for 'standard' rooms, or does the spread take into account upgraded rooms. Until we get more details I'm not running out to proclaim Woe Are Us quite yet, but I might later on.
Unfortunately, out of 3900 properties worldwide - you will now see the most desirable locations, probably most of those extensively discussed in this forum - all land in the 8, 9 and 10 categories. As many might previously have been at redemption ratios which were reasonable, this effectively ends any reasoning for acquiring HH points - or even participating in the program. With Starwood's growing strength across all categories, I foresee an exodus en masse from Hilton Honors. I, for one, will lead the charge -

The race is on - book until 3/28 at the current levels - time to burn and burn and burn and then, see ya!
Old Feb 19, 2013, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by elkhornne
So I'm hoping if we have booked later in the year the awards will be honored?
Yes, so long as you don't make any modifications after March 28.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
At least one of the W-A properties, The Roosevelt in New Orleans, has somewhat lowered its redemption rate, for most of the year it's 50K

It looks like All Inclusives are no longer a reward option or am I missing something?
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Wow, I really do feel a bit sick after looking at the new chart.

Sadly, under the old structure where non W=A properties topped out at 50,000/night, there were definitely some "gems" to redeem at (suck as the Conrad Koh Samui). This realignment is definitely doing away with that.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 1:54 pm

Programs: United 0, HH Gold
Originally Posted by EC Traveler
I'm just a casual Hilton goer. Just being objective - this is crazy. The little tiny Hampton Inn I go to for 25,000 will be 40,000 every month but 1 (why bother).

The Hilton in Ocean City will now be 80,000 points during the summer (50,000 now).

Unbelievable.

Can't say I'm leaving b/c I never really came in - but this is just awful.
I went ahead and booked the Hilton in Ocean City right now for a weekend in August. Still got the AXON rate of 145,000 pts for four nights. If I wanted until March 29th, the rate would be 320,000 pts - but I'd get a 5th night free (which I don't want).

I think the 5th night free is going to replace GLON and AXON... which makes this our last trip to Ocean City, I guess.

Darn, Hilton ... I used to really like you.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by Ritz
Unfortunately, out of 3900 properties worldwide - you will now see the most desirable locations, probably most of those extensively discussed in this forum - all land in the 8, 9 and 10 categories. As many might previously have been at redemption ratios which were reasonable, this effectively ends any reasoning for acquiring HH points - or even participating in the program. With Starwood's growing strength across all categories, I foresee an exodus en masse from Hilton Honors. I, for one, will lead the charge -

The race is on - book until 3/28 at the current levels - time to burn and burn and burn and then, see ya!
I wish that I could join you.

Here's the problem: Marriott requires too many nights for me to hit platinum, and they don't give breakfast at resorts. Hyatt and SPG lack the coverage that I need. I go to many places where those chains don't even have a property. I have never been able to get into the IHG program, where, in these smaller locations, I'd been in HIX's.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Here is the list of new hotel catagory effective 28 MAR 2013;

http://hhonors3.hilton.com/resources...egoryChart.pdf

I was interested in booking Conrad Hong Kong:

Old cat/rate: Cat 7 - 50K points per night
New cat/rate: Cat 9 - 50K to 80K points per night

Will have to wait to see if it will be closer to 50K or 80K

Interesting Note: Conrad Macao, Cotai Central will change from Cat 6 to Cat 5.

Last edited by CAPT Tee; Feb 19, 2013 at 2:13 pm
Old Feb 19, 2013, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by CAPT Tee
Here is the list of new hotel catagory effective 28 MAR 2013;

http://hhonors3.hilton.com/resources...egoryChart.pdf

The hotel I am interested in is Conrad Hong Kong:

Old cat/rate: Cat 7 - 50K points per night
New cat/rate: Cat 9 - 50K to 90K points per night

Will have to wait to see if it will be closer to 50K or 90K
80,000. Year round. See http://hhonorspointssearchtool.com/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.