Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London - Tower of London {GBR}

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London - Tower of London {GBR}

Old Jul 23, 2013, 8:11 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Staying here at the moment, so I will add my impressions and experiences to the excellent existing posts and photos.

Access is very nice - a block from the Tower Hill Underground station, with ac cess to the Circle and District lines direcly, connected by corridors to Docklands Light Railway at Tower Gateway Station. A block from the Tower of London and a bit farther to the Tower Millennium Pier for various River Thames transport options. Easy walking to numeours places, and if heading to Southwark sights you can walk across London or Tower Bridge (I made it a point to visit the Clink prison, where my first American ancestor spent a less comfortable stay 1632-34 than I did at the DoubleTree ).

Front Desk staff were very welcoming and attentive, and I was allowed to check in a bit early (warm day, and the train from Cambridge, and even more the tube, were stifling). My room on the 10th floor has very nice views, including the Tower Bridge and bits of the Tower of London, as well as the construction going on across the street (can get busy, but not as noisy as I expected). There was quite a bit of noise, though not so much from the street below - scraping of chairs and tables movement primarily - filtering from above at late hours of the night as well as early morning.
The provision of a connected iMac in the room, already equipped with Skype, etc. was brilliant (tehere is WiFi for your own device). The lack of available light - added to by the nonfunctioning bed lamps - was disappointing. Air con was fine - even during the hottest days this July, more than sufficient. The coffee / tea service is - in the lowest drawer or the desk! And unlike most hotels in the world, there is no "hotel book" in the room with lists of services, hours, etc.

BTW, floor 8 is "Deluxe" rooms - I suspect the same rooms, but with robes, etc. and 9 and 10 are "Executive Floors". In my case, the minibar was not stocked - but I was given two 330 ml bottles of still water each day, and I did not ask the minibar / fridge be stocked. I was also provided with one drinks chit for each night of my stay, usable in the Lobby or Skylounge Bars.

Full English breakfast (or help yourself to Continental of course) in the City Cafe, or I can take the Conti at the Executive Lounge 0630 - 1030 am. The buffet is pretty normal - with the addition of pancakes, fresh cut pink and yellow grapefruit halves, and of course, all the makings for the cholesterol weapon of mass destruction, the "Bacon Butty".

I've not visited the Lounge for canapes (5 - 8 pm) but though the Lounge is open until 2230 / 1030 pm, when I visited after some evening walking at 2130 / 9:30 pm I was told in no uncertain terms "everything is locked up" after 8 pm and I could not even access a cold bottle of water. (Second day I looked in and there is a Continental breakfast served, and the canapés looked like one hot and two cold.)

The restaurants include the City Cafe and a non-hotel Natural Kitchen open for all meals. The lobby bar also sells sandwiches and snacks, the Skylounge offers lunch and pub snacks as well as brilliant views. It also seems there are two terrace sections - as you exit the lifts, you can descend a few steps to what seems more a self-service bar, whereas if you follow Pepys St. to the main bar the terrace bar there is full service.

All in all, I think this is one of the better Hilton options in the City, and I paid Ł142 a night all in - very good for London in high season, and I enjoyed the location as well, not to mention it is quieter than some locations. The bright cleanliness, the attentive desk staff and location are plusses, the absolutely sky high in-house laundry prices are definitely a minus. For an extended stay where you must have laundry done, ask the concierge for a stand-alone laundry location unless you want to bleed badly at the wallet.

General Manager: Patrick O'Connell
Guest Relations Manager: Jaime Morgado

P.S. Soon after posting this, I had a knock at the door - Mr. Morgado was there to thank me for the report; that was indeed a surprise. Hmm, NSA isn't the only one? I also received an e-mail thanking me for my stay, and it was not one of those formulaic begging notes asking for a "perfect ten" or whatever. (Now I will post I was in 1042.)

I do recommend this property.

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 25, 2013 at 5:26 pm
Old Jul 24, 2013, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm curious if you get the stocked minibar if you book the Exec outright given they have a new lounge? I see on the room inventory they still mention the free minibar but don't mention any lounge.

Am I right in thinking the lounge is open but doesn't serve drinks/food on weekends so a voucher for the Skylounge is provided?

It's an odd brand standard 5-8! Wait until Hilton find out! Had better shut it down...
Old Aug 13, 2013, 11:53 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club refugee: BA-Br; HH-D
Staying here at present.

It is the well-kept, well-located property that others have reported it to be. The photo TR from BotB (above) is extremely accurate, as ever.

I arrived early so although offered an upgrade to an executive room, preferred immediate check-in to a standard room. But, unfortunately no suite upgrade was on offer, despite at least 3 being apparently available for purchase this afternoon.

Free wifi for all is a nice principle here - though I was unable to get my Macbook on - despite the iPhone and older PC laptop having no trouble. Macbook seemed to think that another user was sharing the IP address and immediately had a tantrum...

The exec lounge is a pleasant enough room serving wine, beer and limited evening snacks 5-8pm. Tea/coffee/soft drinks (as well as a supply of doubletree cookies) available all day. I'll post a few shots of the lounge when I eventually work out how to upload photos. No point in adding photos of anything else here as BotB has covered it all so well with excellent images.

In all, it is a nice hotel, though I would probably prefer to use the Hilton at Tower bridge for future stays in the area.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 2:04 pm

Programs: BA Silver, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Downgraded

Originally Posted by 98h524
It's the only London property where I've not felt valued as Diamond so striking this one off my list.
I'm not sure if it's a complete 'no-no' to quote yourself (if not - it should be ), but today I returned to this property despite having previously decided that no Diamond upgrade in 8+ stays here would make me give my business to other Hilton family properties in London.

The reason for my return was a very well-price King Atrium Suite for a 1 night stay. On check-in I was told that no suite was available, despite me being able to show my confirmed booking on my HHonors app. The receptionist offered a cheaper standard room and it was either that or walking. So I am here in a nice enough room (no Diamond amenities despite receptionist saying they'd be sent up) and at least I got to enjoy the fantastic independent restaurant off the lobby, Natural Kitchen. One of the better Hilton hotel restaurants in London and miles better than the hotel's own City Cafe.

This is a nice fresh newish hotel, but my record here for approximately 10 stays is 0 upgrades and 1 downgrade. I always show my Diamond card on check-in and consider myself a very respectful and polite guest. Other Hilton properties in London upgrade me without fail.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 2:05 pm

Programs: BA Silver, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Downgraded

Sorry. Double-posted.

Last edited by 98h524; Sep 15, 2013 at 2:06 pm Reason: Double-posted
Old Sep 16, 2013, 7:27 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
Share very much the views and experiences of 98h524.

The prices go up but service level down.

Checked in today 11:30 AM. First was told that checking in would only be possible after 3 PM. I had to make a remark to look at the actual booking and remarks in the file. Then started the apologetic thanking of being a diamond guest, etc. A regular room was given. No welcome letter, no diamond amenity. Two bottles of water however were present. And an empty minibar.

I am going to contact service manager personally during this visit and hint, that my monthly stays will be in another locale in the future, thanks to thinned out diamond benefits. Another disturbing factor is the poor knowledge of English of the employees almost everywhere else but the front desk (accented but acceptable) and the bars.

As a matter of fact, I cancelled my second night there and moved it to Canary Wharf for 28 000 points + Ł78. Received almost immediately a nice confirmatory letter and wishing for a pleasurable stay!
Old Sep 16, 2013, 9:23 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by TTL

Checked in today 11:30 AM. First was told that checking in would only be possible after 3 PM. I had to make a remark to look at the actual booking and remarks in the file. Then started the apologetic thanking of being a diamond guest, etc. A regular room was given. No welcome letter, no diamond amenity. Two bottles of water however were present. And an empty minibar.

I am going to contact service manager personally during this visit and hint, that my monthly stays will be in another locale in the future, thanks to thinned out diamond benefits. Another disturbing factor is the poor knowledge of English of the employees almost everywhere else but the front desk (accented but acceptable) and the bars.

As a matter of fact, I cancelled my second night there and moved it to Canary Wharf for 28 000 points + Ł78. Received almost immediately a nice confirmatory letter and wishing for a pleasurable stay!
you wont go wrong with canary wharf mate, i was there sat/sun.....awesome hotel ( see my review!)^
Old Sep 20, 2013, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by TTL

Think they stopped doing the stocked minibar when they opened the exec lounge. Hotel has very high percentage of "regulars" through the week who I suspect are given preference for upgrades (as will all be diamond) over others.

Service manager has fairly recently moved over from (I think he said) the Canary Wharf so good to see positive comments about service levels there.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 2:11 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
Having regulars may be a partial explanation. They do not consider 11 or 12 times per annum for two nights as regular .

Anyway, the room rates were reasonable still one year ago, now they have skyrocketed, obviously due to surroundings (location near City, good public transport, nearby overcharging basic Novotel...). The cheapest flexible rate is Ł199 booked well beforehand, double that booked any later. There seem to be no point+cash -bargains. Compared to what you can get for the same money at Canary Wharf or Tower Bridge Hiltons: larger basic rooms, fully stocked minibar (have to pay though), better quality room service, better tv:s in the rooms (only the corner suites have proper tv:s in DT), better exec lounges both by offers and opening hours, more professional staff, and nowadays also more affordable room rates. Well, this is market economy.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by TTL
Anyway, the room rates were reasonable still one year ago, now they have skyrocketed, obviously due to surroundings (location near City, good public transport, nearby overcharging basic Novotel...). The cheapest flexible rate is Ł199 booked well beforehand, double that booked any later.

I think GBP 84 to 97/nt for for weekend stay, incl. breakfast (PR11PN) in Nov to be very reasonable!
Old Sep 21, 2013, 10:01 pm

Just returned from my fifth stay at this hotel (fourth since it became Doubletree). All of the photos, reviews, exec. lounge in lobby, and staff reviews are accurately depicted. However, as has been stated, the price of this hotel is starting to increase quite a bit. My 13 day stay clocked in at 219 GBP per night with exception that I rebooked the last two days at 149.

The shower in this hotel is extremely small to me. I also had an issue that the water was either super-hot to scalding hot (never could I get it to a reasonable temperature). And yes, I do know that you have to push the button in to get the temperature to change. After a couple of days, I complained to the front desk, but nothing was done. The A/C was not cooling properly (and the temp outside was in the 60's F) so I had to open the window to keep from burning up. This was also called to management's attention--again--nothing done.

It has been a week now and my HHonors points have not posted (a zero is currently posted) though the two days which were booked afterward have posted.

Would I stay here again? The convenience to my work in the City is superb so I will have to debate this over the issues noted above. If it is wintertime, the answer will likely be yes (A/C is a big deal for me to be able to sleep)--but a summertime visit I am not so sure.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 11:48 pm
TTL

Originally Posted by SK AAR
I think GBP 84 to 97/nt for for weekend stay, incl. breakfast (PR11PN) in Nov to be very reasonable!
What good does a weekend special offer do for a business traveler needing the bed during the week? Also the breakfast buffet in that locale is mediocre, the waiters straight out of Fawlty Towers (Manuel... que??), the tables congested, and the entire room congested most of the morning.

Last edited by TTL; Sep 21, 2013 at 11:54 pm
Old Sep 22, 2013, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by TTL
Having regulars may be a partial explanation. They do not consider 11 or 12 times per annum for two nights as regular .
I probably do 2-3 times that and know that is not particularly high and is far from exceptional. For that particular hotel staying 2 nights once a month does not make you one of their more regular guests and if you are trying to stay on Tues/Weds nights as most people do the you will struggle for an upgrade as their will be many more regular guests that the hotel are likely to give priority.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 6:58 pm
TTL

Originally Posted by Jaggy Bunnet
I probably do 2-3 times that and know that is not particularly high and is far from exceptional. For that particular hotel staying 2 nights once a month does not make you one of their more regular guests and if you are trying to stay on Tues/Weds nights as most people do the you will struggle for an upgrade as their will be many more regular guests that the hotel are likely to give priority.
My sympathies , 72 nights a year in that hotel would make my seriously re-think the purpose of life and what I could do to change it.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 2:35 am
TTL

Some improvement in Diamond recognition, at least last night. Normal room booked for Ł190. Upgrade to a 7th floor City Suite (the largest one). Stocked complimentary minibar. Diamond welcome package: cookies + 1 full bottle of red wine. Full English breakfast. Thank you very much!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.