Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London - Tower of London {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London - Tower of London {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2015, 11:06 pm

Have an upcoming business stay in June, any updates on exec lounge quality possibility of suite upgrades for a diamond?
Old Sep 24, 2015, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Originally Posted by BotB
Doubletree Hilton Tower of London Trip Reports and Reviews

Not seen a thread on this hotel yet so MOD's please merge if there is indeed a dedicated thread for this hotel already.

I recently stayed here for two nights having booked two rooms (one on points and one with cash) and thought I would give feedback for others considering this relatively new rebranded hotel.

Booking:

Generally there seems to be availability when other nearby Hilton hotels are too expensive or are booked out. The pricing can vary significantly though so do check other hotels to ensure you are getting a good deal. (for example, when I booked the DT was cheaper than the Hilton Tower Bridge…but two weeks out from the stay a friend decided to come along and the nearby Hilton was actually cheaper at that time!)

Room on points was 40k for a night for a basic double room. This was upgraded at check in to an executive floor room with free breakfast, wifi and mini bar.

Room booked with cash was also a basic refundable rate for a double room and was upgraded to an executive floor room with the same amenities as the points room.

Overall, good value for money and I'm very happy they upgraded both rooms to exec floor as a diamond over New Years when the hotel was full. ^

Seems it should be as accessible as the Hilton Tower Bridge but in reality it isn't…although not a show stopper, I would prefer the Hilton Tower Bridge every time for several reasons. However, you can get here via the tube station Tower Hill (using the Circle or District line) but beware that it just seems a bit further out and there are not as many sights within walking distance as other Hilton chain hotels in my opinion. You can of course walk over the Tower Bridge or get to the locations using the tube (or cab) but as mentioned just a slight bit more trouble or longer than other locations in my opinion…however, it is in a very clean and quiet area if that is important to you.

The hotel is close to the tube station though so you only have to go about 200 m from the station to the hotel entrance and the streets here are not as busy with good sidewalks so friendly for push carriages or suitcases (once you get up the stairs at the tube station).

The views are decent from the hotel and the sky lounge bar on the roof which is a plus if you can get a higher floor.

Check In:

The hotel is generally quite busy due to the lower price or lower point threshold for a London hotel so most of the check in desks were busy while we were coming or going…however, they do keep a few people out front so that most times there were 3-4 people about to help if needed.

The check in desks are a long line along the right hand side as you come into the hotel with the lobby and bar to the left. There is a bright airy feeling to the lobby and the roof is a glass sky light so does let in more light.

There is a dedicated HHonors desk and we managed to get served quickly at a normal desk even with several people trying to check in at the same time. ^

The staff were always very friendly, knowledgeable and polite…trying to help and ensure you were happy and on your way quickly.

One room was ready right away when we checked in at 12 noon and the desk clerk assured us the other would be ready shortly but were were happy to simply get the one room and then go out and explore to come back later and get the second room then.

We were given our cookies and welcome letter which also serves as a drinks voucher for the lobby bar as there is no executive lounge here. (a new letter was put in the room each day as well so at least providing one drink a day).

The elevators are behind check in to the right down a corridor with the main restaurant to the back and left of the check in area.

The rooms:

Both rooms were identical and the hotel did take my preferences into account as we had rooms away from the elevator.

The rooms were an okay size and quite similar to the London Westminster rooms I had also stayed at recently.

The bathrooms are fairly small and only suited for one person at a time. You would likely not get a third stow away bed into the room so if there are more than two of you…you will need an extra room.

Internet is available on the provided iMac computer / TV in the room or via wifi by logging in with your name and room number. The speed was fine and even when fully booked I never noticed any speed issues during peak hours.

The heating controls are the typical one button to change the temperature with 5 settings possible (cold, cool, room temperature, warm and hot)…the fan setting is just below with auto, off, and then a few fan speeds to select…nothing more.

There is a window you can open and let fresh air in and we had this open at night and did not find it too noisy even during New Years Eve!!! Very quiet location helps greatly here.

The windows are nearly floor to ceiling and provided a great view from the executive floors (9 and 10th floor). Sky lounge is on the 12th floor (and only accessible from one side of the elevators).

We had a room facing the Thames and the Shard as well as the Trinity house / Port of London Authority building and statue.

The mini bar in the executive rooms are stocked and complimentary for Gold and Diamond members I am told. The pictures show the contents (there were 4 mineral waters in there though…my wife had already got through a couple by the time I took the shots)…

They do not restock the fridge though each day so this is it in case you stay a few days.

The room had a safe, iron board, iron and decent storage facilities.

Interestingly, the duty manager came up and knocked on the door…when I answered, I was passed a tray of chocolates and his card…and before I could ask…he disappeared on me….so not sure if the congrats tray was a mistake or just a pleasant welcome gift for diamonds…I think it was for someone else and they simply delivered it to the wrong room but wasn't going to give it back!

Other facilities:

There was some work out facility but I did not use it so can't comment. There is no pool.

Breakfast was included free of charge for Diamonds and Golds. (full hot buffet…no continental option as far as I could see…)

We received free breakfast for both rooms as a diamond both mornings.

The lobby bar does serve some light food as well as drinks and there was plenty of seating areas for small 1-5 person groups available, even though the hotel was very busy.

There is a second restaurant in the hotel but it was closed during our stay, possibly due to New Years….looked very good though.

The Sky Lounge was very modern and had glass walls and ceiling so very open and airy and proved to be popular for many hotel and non hotel visitors.

Overall Impression:

I liked the hotel, the staff were very good and friendly and genuinely wanted to help people out even when busy! The rooms were a bit small but no smaller than any other double tree in London and they were in good condition and kept clean. I would come back and recommend it to others if my other Hilton favourites were full or too expensive in comparison but the slightly harder to reach tube location and lack of a lounge stop me from calling it a favourite.

Hope this review and pictures of the room are of use and interest. If there are any questions please do ask and I will try to remember and answer if I can!
Thanks for such a thorough review! Based on this and other feedback, I booked a stay here October 2-4 as I have to stay over for the weekend for work! Will report back after my stay!

Last edited by Canarsie; Oct 13, 2015 at 2:02 am Reason: Removed photographs from reply.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 11:19 pm

Programs: UA GS; Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott, Hyatt; Hertz
I stay here a lot. A few additions. (1) Diamonds can have breakfast in the restaurant, as you said, and you can either do the extensive buffet or order off the menu. It's very good. (2) The natural kitchen restaurant is contiguous with the hotel and also quite good. (3) The hotel is close to two tube stations. In addition to the Tower Hill station, it is a short walk from Aldgate. You can also easily walk to St. Katherine's dock for a variety of restaurants. (4) Happy hour in the exec lounge varies. Sometimes its good enough for dinner, sometimes not. The wine and beer are not great. (5) I am very sensitive to noise. the tenth floor is a disaster for me because the Sky Lounge is above it. (6) Once upon a time the internet was amazing - because of the iMac's they use as TV's, you could get 80+ Mb/sec speeds. Then they switched to iBahn, and without premium access, it is terrible. Premium access is nothing to write home about either. (7) The staff is a also a mixed bag. Front desk personnel can be very friendly and very helpful. But the back office is all about maximizing revenue. Just be aware of that.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 2:32 am

Programs: QF, AA, BD, PC, HH, Hertz
Email

Hi does anyone have an email for this hotel?
Old Oct 8, 2016, 9:37 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Review: DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London - Tower of London

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London -Tower of London

7 Pepys Street London, GB EC3N 4AF

Review: DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London - Tower of London (11 Photos)

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London -Tower of London

The hotel lobby was bright, spacious and welcoming, thanks to the glass roof over the big atrium where the front desk and Lobby Bar were situated.

At check-in, the friendly front desk associate welcomed me as a Diamond member and handed me a signature DoubleTree chocolate chip cookie. I was informed that I had been upgraded from a standard room to a Queen Executive Room.

The design and artwork in the corridors added liveliness and colour:

DSCF1507.JPG

DSCF1523.JPG

Room

I was allocated a Queen Executive Room on the 9th floor.

Although it was not particularly spacious, the room was clean and comfortable.

There were two complimentary bottles of Hildon water, but no welcome letter/gift.

As discussed previously in the hotel’s main thread, there used to be an iMac in the guest room. However, this has been removed and replaced by a flat screen TV.

DSCF1497.JPG 

DSCF1504.JPG

The bathroom was very small:

DSCF1499.JPG

There was a partial view of 'The Gherkin' and 'The Cheesegrater' from the room:

DSCF1500.JPG

View from the room at night:

DSCF1524.JPG

You can also take a 360-degree online interactive tour of the queen guest room (as well as other areas) on the hotel’s website: http://doubletree3.hilton.com/en/hotels/united-kingdom/doubletree-by-hilton-hotel-london-tower-of-london-LONTLDI/photo-tours/index.html

Executive Lounge

The Executive Lounge (open from 5am to 11pm daily) is located on the ground floor by the lift lobby. Access is by key card.

Drinks (including red and white wine and beer) and nibbles were available when I visited in the afternoon.

Evening drinks and canapés are available from 5:30 to 8pm. The selection of canapés, however, was quite limited.

The breakfast buffet range was very disappointing. It consisted of two hot dishes (scrambled eggs and cheese omelette), pastries and fruit. For this reason, I had breakfast in the restaurant (City Café, situated on the ground floor next to the Executive Lounge) instead.

DSCF1510.JPG

Breakfast

As a Diamond member, the full breakfast buffet in the City Café on the ground floor was available free of charge.

The breakfast buffet runs from 6:30 to 10:30am (weekdays) and from 7 to 11am (weekends).

The buffet had an impressive range of English cooked breakfast and continental breakfast options, including salmon paté, which was great.

DSCF1527.JPG

Skylounge

The Skylounge located on the top floor (12th floor) offers amazing views of the London skyline.

DSCF1520.JPG

DSCF1516.JPG

Overall

Overall, I had an enjoyable stay. Service was good. The hotel had a modern feel, having been recently renovated. It was conveniently located in the City of London. However, the Executive Lounge was disappointing and the room which I was allocated was quite small.

Review: DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London - Tower of London

Would you like to write a review on the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London -Tower of London?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Dec 6, 2016, 6:56 pm

Hi all

Thinking of spending New Year's Eve at this property (only one around left offering a points stay which isn't >150,000 points).

Any thoughts on if this would be a good hotel to wander out to see the New Years fireworks from? We'd probably stroll to see them along the river.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
I'm not sure where the fireworks are launched, but it's a short walk to the tower bridge from here...5-10 mins at most. Additionally, if the weather isn't too bad, perhaps they will open the roof top bar which offers a great view, you will likely see the fireworks very well from there!
Old Dec 7, 2016, 4:54 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, IHG Gold, Oman Gold
Worth walking along River to at least Millenium Bridge or Blackfriars, Blackfriars will close when full, so Millenium is back up, it is quieter there as well
Old Dec 7, 2016, 10:49 am

Excellent, thank you gav0106 and bsdstone. Originally, the plan was to be in Bristol UK but things changed and now it is between Manchester and London - the only thing going against London was the fear of large, rib-crushing crowds preventing us from seeing the fireworks within walking distance of the hotel (straight to bed after the fireworks for a mid-morning flight).

Also, I emailed the hotel about the SkyLounge. They said one can book at a table for $65 (the value goes towards the drinks bill), or alternatively it is on a first-come, first-served basis. I just don't know if there would be a good view of the fireworks from the hotel, having never stayed here before.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 12:22 pm

You should get a view from the skylounge.

There are some pictures of the view in post 65 to give you an idea.

It's a nice hotel, if your choice is here or one of the two central Manchester properties personally I would say this wins hands down.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 1:39 pm

Thanks Chrism20 I'm leaning towards London just as I've never done New Years there before, and it might be something to tick off.

The next phase is for me to decide between the Hilton Tower Bridge or the Doubletree Tower Bridge! (the Hilton just opened up on a points booking for the night). I'm going through reviews haha. Any thoughts on the better?
Old Jun 28, 2017, 1:38 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Staying here tonight. No upgrade as a Diamond so not expecting very much.

An expensive stay in a basic room.

Oh well.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 10:14 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

No upgrade.

Lounge has just wine and beer. No food of any description.

Disappointed.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 10:45 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by GentleGiant
No upgrade.

Lounge has just wine and beer. No food of any description.

Disappointed.
Maybe it don't happen until 6pm?......it's now 5:45 as I type.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 10:48 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

no from 5pm.

Alcohol is out, just no food.

They set that up around 4:50pm

I've given up now. Going out for dinner.

Maybe someone forgot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.