Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Sukhumvit Bangkok {THA}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2015, 4:04 pm

Programs: QF Platinum, BA Gold, HH Diamond, Raffles Ambassador
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
8- The hotel offered to charge me in USD at checkout using DCC. As many of you know this is a total ripoff. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...hread-149.html I spent a good 5 minutes explaining to the lady why so she wouldn't offer it to unexpected guests. She seemed not to care much. Told me the conversion was guaranteed this way at a little over 34 THB/USD. I told her the actual conversion was closer to 36 THB/USD and all the guarantee did was make their bank money. After some explanation she understood. Always always always book the local currency when traveling. This issue is not limited to the Hilton in BKK, but they are one of the hotels who does it. Shame on them.
Thanks for fairly thorough review, and as much as I despise DCC personally also and agree with you in principle, I think your actions come off a little patronizing here.. I highly doubt she was actively offering DCC because she thought it was a great deal and didn't understand the math involved.. she was offering it because thats what she was trained to do, so as to make the hotel more money. And I can guarantee as soon as you walked away, she would have continued to make the exact same offer to the very next guest.

You mentioned you've stayed in Bangkok quite a few times, so I'm sure you'll recognize feigning confusion/ not understanding something is a classically Thai customer service approach for dealing with situations where they just simply cant be bothered.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 4:31 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Matthew_22
Thanks for fairly thorough review, and as much as I despise DCC personally also and agree with you in principle, I think your actions come off a little patronizing here.. I highly doubt she was actively offering DCC because she thought it was a great deal and didn't understand the math involved.. she was offering it because thats what she was trained to do, so as to make the hotel more money. And I can guarantee as soon as you walked away, she would have continued to make the exact same offer to the very next guest.

You mentioned you've stayed in Bangkok quite a few times, so I'm sure you'll recognize feigning confusion/ not understanding something is a classically Thai customer service approach for dealing with situations where they just simply cant be bothered.
Seems rife in Bangkok, this week Conrad took my card to settle room and said nothing and gave me slip to sign (no chip and pin here) but I refused to sign as it wasin a GBP amount so obviously the DCC scam

I simply said please redo in THB, I suspect any flex rate guest paying on checkin or checkout here is given the DCC treatment as staff told&trained to do it, so no point talking to frontline staff doing this to you. If you need complain you need take it up with hotel managers who will simply listen, smile and carry on this dubious practise .

I am annoyed with Conrad though as I thought it is a requirement to ask one before changing bill from local currency? Actually if not asked if you want DCC your card issuer has to reverse the transaction and reprocess but easier if one checks and refuses

I wonder what these two do to guests who rush to airport leaving hotel to do CC billing in guests absence ? ?

Conversely the IC charged in THB and don't even ask if you'll agree to the DCC type of billing which is refreshing

Last edited by scubaccr; Nov 24, 2015 at 4:37 pm
Old Nov 24, 2015, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by kapkap46
Completely amazes me about people who complain about this Hotel. If you are a Top Tier SPG customer and happy then stay there.

I have stayed at this Hotel 10 x and most times have been offered a Suite and ask for the Executive Plus Room which I like better.

I find the Lounge excellent for breakfast and my early stays had a choice between Scalina and the Lounge and saw no difference worth mentioning between the two.

I agree the light switches are over the Top but the desk space and overall space of the room is far superior to the Doubletree.

I find the staff friendly and helpful which is not much different from Bangkok in general.

But the biggest plus is the ridiculous cash and points rate which SPG cannot come close to. $40 and 12,000 points . Since as a Diamond who earned his status, I have well over 1 million points , I could spend 3 months there for $3500 Total if I chose.

Try doing that with any SPG Hotel.

I think there is a big difference between members who actually earned their Diamond status and those who got free status matches or got it from CC Bonuses.

Actual Hilton members who spend 100 plus days a year in Hiltons all over the world will find this Hotel very good value.
It completely amazes you that others have a different opinion than you?

I am a top tier customer at many chains. Hilton (earned the hard way, butt in a bed for 80+ nights in 2015 - no status match here!) and Starwood among others. I wrote the review of the hotel and offered positive, average, and things I disliked. Since people have differing perspectives by writing a review we enhance the FT community. It allows people to come and make their own decisions about which hotel to stay at in a certain city. Some may only have status at one chain. Others may have status at another. And some, like me, may have status at both. My review was intended to help both those that have solely Hilton status and those that have both (like me).

I am not always particular to Starwood. It depends on the city and property options. In Los Angeles for example I much prefer the Hilton/DT properties to the Starwood ones. In this particular city (and solely for those with top tier status at both chains) I prefer some of the Starwood properties to this Hilton. Because of my preference you think I shouldn't write a review? That my perspective doesn't add to the FT community in a positive way?

Others agree with me... just read the commenter who posted right after my review. He doesn't hold status with Starwood and still agreed. Of course it is obvious you love this hotel. Happy to hear it. But neither of us are "right". Thus the point of us all leaving reviews here so newcomers to a property or city can make an informed decision about what they value and which hotel to choose for their stay.

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
People like and value different things. That doesn't seem very amazing to me.

The post you are critiquing seems to be accounting for negative and positive.

That isn't necessarily a good sign of the popularity of your favored hotel, given that Hilton gives minimal compensation for room night via points and money compared to on an award night.

Lots of points and money means the rooms aren't being filled up. If the SPG properties consistently command higher room rates/higher point values, that probably means people prefer these properties.
Thank you seeing my post for what it is, a review containing my views on the positive and negative points at this hotel.

Originally Posted by Matthew_22

I agree with you and didn't intend to patronize. I was not upset with her specifically, but rather the DCC practice. I do make it a practice to chat with whoever offers me DCC and explain the rip-off that it is. Likely as you say it gets me nowhere since she (and others I explain it to) are not the person in charge who can make a decision to change it. I feel that front line personnel will bring customer concerns back to the higher-ups and perhaps if enough of us leave feedback this practice will end. Perhaps that is naive on my part. Please know that I am not unkind when I do this in person... I try simply to explain why it's a bad deal for the customer.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 7:47 am

Booked a stay at Hilton Sukhumvit this weekend and just received the executive floor benefit letter. Seems like i still get to have my breakfast at the restaurant? So whats all the commotion about?

"Dear Mr,

Sawasdee Kha/Khab and a very warm welcome to Bangkok at the Hilton Sukhumvit!

It is our pleasure to have you as our guest on the Executive Floor. We trust that you will enjoy your stay as well as the following benefits exclusively for guest at Executive Lounge on level 4 between 06.00 AM and 11.00 PM daily:

Daily Breakfast: 06.00 AM to 10.30 AM (weekdays)
06.00 AM to 11.00 AM (weekends/public holidays)
*As our valued HHonors Diamond Member, you have the benefit to choose from breakfast served in the Executive Lounge or at Scalini Restaurant which is located on level 2 for complimentary.

Afternoon Tea 02.00 PM to 04.00 PM
Evening cocktails 06.00 PM to 08.00 PM
All day refreshments and selection of fruits

Your other Executive Floor benefits;

Relaxation area with daily newspapers, selection of magazines and books for your reading pleasure.
Complimentary meeting room at the Executive Lounge for 2 hours (This privilege is per stay & subject to availability).
Complimentary 2 pieces of pressing per person / per day (This offer is non-cumulative).
Complimentary high-speed internet access at the Executive Lounge.
Concierge Services - we are happy to arrange your excursions, Spa treatments, dinner reservations, business services, airport transfer and assist you with any other enquiry.

Dress code is smart casual; please note that we do not encourage hot shorts, beachwear, slippers and flip-flops. For the comfort of all guests, we request that children must be accompanied by and seated with adults.

The facilities offered are complimentary and exclusive for our Executive and Suite room guests. Should you wish to invite other guests to the Executive Lounge, it would be our pleasure to accommodate a maximum of two non-executive floor guests accompanying you in the Lounge, subject to availability, and a charge applies per consumption.

Should you require any assistance, please be encouraged to contact me or our Executive Floor Team by dialing extension 4400.

Wishing you a most pleasant and memorable stay with us,

Sincerely yours,
Ms. Annievy (Annie) Estrera
Executive Floor Manager"
Old Nov 25, 2015, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by Jerrremy
Booked a stay at Hilton Sukhumvit this weekend and just received the executive floor benefit letter. Seems like i still get to have my breakfast at the restaurant? So whats all the commotion about?
LOL, this is just pure comedy now.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Jerrremy

"Dear Mr,

Sawasdee Kha/Khab and a very warm welcome to Bangkok at the Hilton Sukhumvit!

It is our pleasure to have you as our guest on the Executive Floor. We trust that you will enjoy your stay as well as the following benefits exclusively for guest at Executive Lounge on level 4 between 06.00 AM and 11.00 PM daily:

Daily Breakfast: 06.00 AM to 10.30 AM (weekdays)
06.00 AM to 11.00 AM (weekends/public holidays)
*As our valued HHonors Diamond Member, you have the benefit to choose from breakfast served in the Executive Lounge or at Scalini Restaurant which is located on level 2 for complimentary.

Afternoon Tea 02.00 PM to 04.00 PM
Evening cocktails 06.00 PM to 08.00 PM
All day refreshments and selection of fruits

Your other Executive Floor benefits;

Relaxation area with daily newspapers, selection of magazines and books for your reading pleasure.
Complimentary meeting room at the Executive Lounge for 2 hours (This privilege is per stay & subject to availability).
Complimentary 2 pieces of pressing per person / per day (This offer is non-cumulative).
Complimentary high-speed internet access at the Executive Lounge.
Concierge Services - we are happy to arrange your excursions, Spa treatments, dinner reservations, business services, airport transfer and assist you with any other enquiry.

Dress code is smart casual; please note that we do not encourage hot shorts, beachwear, slippers and flip-flops. For the comfort of all guests, we request that children must be accompanied by and seated with adults.

The facilities offered are complimentary and exclusive for our Executive and Suite room guests. Should you wish to invite other guests to the Executive Lounge, it would be our pleasure to accommodate a maximum of two non-executive floor guests accompanying you in the Lounge, subject to availability, and a charge applies per consumption.

Should you require any assistance, please be encouraged to contact me or our Executive Floor Team by dialing extension 4400.

Wishing you a most pleasant and memorable stay with us,

Sincerely yours,
Ms. Annievy (Annie) Estrera
Executive Floor Manager"
During my stay from last week I received a different letter stating a 400 THB++ charge was required to eat at the restaurant.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/membe...vit-letter.png

Seems like they go back/forth on this from time to time.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 1:43 am
Suspended

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP
During my stay from last week I received a different letter stating a 400 THB++ charge was required to eat at the restaurant.

There is a new GM at this property- the gentleman who managed the KL Doubletree so well is now in-charge of the two sukhumvit properties in Bangkok.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 3:17 pm

Two stays booked this weekend receive both emails - let's see what happens at breakfast !

Already upgraded to Executive Suite from Deluxe room booking - pleasant surprise
Old Nov 26, 2015, 11:24 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Accor Gold, OW Emerald, SIXT Diamond
Originally Posted by ashkale
There is a new GM at this property- the gentleman who managed the KL Doubletree so well is now in-charge of the two sukhumvit properties in Bangkok.
that's interesting, the DT KL has always left an excellent impression. Who has taken charge over there now ?
Old Nov 27, 2015, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by maxandclaude2000
Two stays booked this weekend receive both emails - let's see what happens at breakfast !

Already upgraded to Executive Suite from Deluxe room booking - pleasant surprise
The lounge isn't too full tonight but amazed that all the meeting rooms are being used

Very few Westerners - but lots of children running amok .

Food selection has vastly improved since my last stay .

And have been brought a Cosmopolitan ( !)

Seem also to have more staff on duty .

Lounge manager is new - I have her business card and looks like I'm getting a very special suite on Sunday (!)

Welcoming letter states breakfast for Diamonds can be taken downstairs !
Old Nov 27, 2015, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by maxandclaude2000
The lounge isn't too full tonight but amazed that all the meeting rooms are being used

Very few Westerners - but lots of children running amok .

Food selection has vastly improved since my last stay .

And have been brought a Cosmopolitan ( !)

Seem also to have more staff on duty .

Lounge manager is new - I have her business card and looks like I'm getting a very special suite on Sunday (!)

Welcoming letter states breakfast for Diamonds can be taken downstairs !
Have they upgraded the booze selection from the swill rum, gin and vodka?
Old Nov 27, 2015, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by dsquared37
Have they upgraded the booze selection from the swill rum, gin and vodka?
Alas no

Breakfast excellent downstairs and popped into the lounge and it's also improved in there too .

Great service - addressed by servers (!) Though they kept calling me Mr Guy ...

Chef making eggs to order in lounge and plenty of offerings !
Old Dec 2, 2015, 1:02 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond DL Platinum UA 1K, DL Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
People like and value different things. That doesn't seem very amazing to me.

The post you are critiquing seems to be accounting for negative and positive.

That isn't necessarily a good sign of the popularity of your favored hotel, given that Hilton gives minimal compensation for room night via points and money compared to on an award night.

Lots of points and money means the rooms aren't being filled up. If the SPG properties consistently command higher room rates/higher point values, that probably means people prefer these properties.
Those rates have been there and the DT since the day they opened. I have been there when it is jammed and still got the same Cash and Points rate.

I can't comment on availability if you book at the last minute but every time I have made a reservation it has been available and occupancy has varied from slow on weekends to packed during the week.

I have no idea what various owners and managers decide to offer. I continue to take advantage of DT in KL for the ridiculous sum of 10,000 points per night when Hampton Inns in Nowhereville in the USA get 30,000 points per night.

I just take advantage of those kind of offers and I find the Hilton Sukhumvit great value in that regard.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 5:29 am

Programs: AY Gold (OWS), Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Hilton Gold
I have an upcoming trip to BKK. As being a HH gold, should
I go for the Millenium or Sukhumvit to ensure lounge access?

So any resent experiences? Conrad apparently stated that no EL for Gold's, if one books the chepeast room.

P.S is the Cash&points availability zero for the whole year (except in Conrad)?

Last edited by Karjaluokka; Jan 3, 2016 at 5:36 am
Old Jan 3, 2016, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lufthansa FTL, HHonors Gold, Le Club Accorhotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Karjaluokka
I go for the Millenium or Sukhumvit to ensure lounge access?
I had a couple of stays at Hilton Sukhumvit in 2014 and 2015 and always got upgraded to Executive Room and got lounge access.

If you don't value the river view skyhigh the Hilton Sukhumvit is the superior hotel imho

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.