Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

HELP ME (get the best bang for my HH points....)

Old Sep 5, 2012, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver

OK, I've been a member of HHonors for maybe 12 years, earning points slowly then spending them on a night in London.

A trip last week saw an expensive room, combined with the 2x/3x promo, yield 111,000 points (plus change).

Now, I want to take a nice trip next year for a celebration - can go pretty much anywhere on the BA route network. How do I get the best bang for my points? 50k/nt for a normal room at the Conrad in HK seems a bit of a waste.

Does anyone have any inspirational thoughts?

Apologies for the vague question!

Many thanks

ST
Old Sep 5, 2012, 11:05 am

Programs: Double Platinum all programs (Shh it's a secret level)
You asked for inspirational thoughts:

Live generously with HHonors and enjoy meaningful experiences in more ways you can image by making a donation with your HHonors points. For every 10,000 points you donate, HHonors will send a US$25 contribution to the charity of your choice. Join us in making a difference.

http://hhonors1.hilton.com/en_US/hh/...tions/index.do
Old Sep 5, 2012, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RenHoek
You asked for inspirational thoughts:

Live generously with HHonors and enjoy meaningful experiences in more ways you can image by making a donation with your HHonors points. For every 10,000 points you donate, HHonors will send a US$25 contribution to the charity of your choice. Join us in making a difference.

http://hhonors1.hilton.com/en_US/hh/...tions/index.do
With all respect I make a number of charitable donations anyway (supported by UK gift aid), and can derive far more than $250 worth of value from a 100k points stash so this would just be foolish.

(If Hilton were willing to give to charity the same that they sell the points for in the first place then I might have more sympathy with this suggestion, but otherwise I'm letting them make something like a 75% profit on my donation....)
Old Sep 5, 2012, 12:45 pm
Community Director Emerita

Conrad Hong Kong is a lovely hotel. It often has cash and points values that for me are better value than a straight points redemption. You could look at pairing that with the Conrad Macau. Friends are raving about that property; I have yet to visit it.

The Evian Hilton on the shores of Lake Geneva also offer cash and points. The hotel is rather ordinary but the view is anything but.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
You might want to clarify a bit, OP. When you say anywhere on the BA route network, are you saying anywhere just BA flies, and/or that its partners also fly (and on which you'd accrue miles), and/or would you be cashing in BA miles? If the latter two options, that opens up lots of options since you could then book partner flights as well.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 3:12 pm

Good question Swiss Tony. Is there a list on the website of properties that take cash and points, or do you have to try booking at each property?
Old Sep 5, 2012, 3:42 pm

AXON and/or GLON would be your friend.

You can find info on maximizing your points in this blog post:
http://thepointsguy.com/2012/07/maxi...n-redemptions/

Otherwise, it is as simple as determining where you want to go!

Good luck.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 3:48 am

Originally Posted by Greysword
AXON and/or GLON would be your friend.

You can find info on maximizing your points in this blog post:
http://thepointsguy.com/2012/07/maxi...n-redemptions/

Otherwise, it is as simple as determining where you want to go!

Good luck.
Very useful link thanks, but there is no UK Hilton Amex therefore no AXON
Old Sep 6, 2012, 11:52 pm

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
Pointstretchers was good before they stopped the program. You can check the other threads for people complaining about hotels charging extra for "premium rooms." If you can get rooms at these hotels for the regular points cost, then that is a good deal.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 6:25 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Conrad Hong Kong is a lovely hotel. It often has cash and points values that for me are better value than a straight points redemption. You could look at pairing that with the Conrad Macau. Friends are raving about that property; I have yet to visit it.

The Evian Hilton on the shores of Lake Geneva also offer cash and points. The hotel is rather ordinary but the view is anything but.
+1

points + cash on conrad HK was going to be my suggestion.

Also some of the WA properties offer points + cash. I had this at the Syon park for example, not that that would be much of a trip for you
Old Sep 7, 2012, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Am looking at Spring 2013 so I think the points & cash rates aren't loaded yet - is that right?

I stayed at the Conrad in HK a few years back, harbour view, club floor, and it was indeed very, very, very good. Booked in the new year sale so that's why I figure 50k points a night for a normal room is a bit duff (unless I can efficiently upgrade to the club floor)

Re the earlier point - yes, BA mainline routes ex LON to allow the 2-4-1 voucher to be used. Wouldn't necessarily rule out Europe

Thanks for the help!
Old Sep 8, 2012, 4:27 am

Ah, I stayed in the Conrad HK many years ago based on the good reviews here. 70K for 6 nights. Those were the days.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 12:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony

Now, I want to take a nice trip next year for a celebration - can go pretty much anywhere on the BA route network. How do I get the best bang for my points?

Does anyone have any inspirational thoughts?
Conrad Koh Samui - a GBP500/USD800 villa with your own pool can be had for 50,000 points per night. Heaven on earth (and USM is fairly close to BA-served BKK).
Old Sep 8, 2012, 2:07 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I had a very nice stay at the Hilton Barcelona Diagonal Mar. Grand city too with obvious BA service.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by eethan
Pointstretchers was good before they stopped the program. You can check the other threads for people complaining about hotels charging extra for "premium rooms." If you can get rooms at these hotels for the regular points cost, then that is a good deal.
Sadly they silently stopped it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.