Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Can Honors Diamond Membership be earned through AMEX Hilton points?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2012, 11:11 pm
Original Poster

Can HHonors Diamond Membership be earned through AMEX Hilton points? Not just stays, but the 3x points given for all other purchases?
Old Aug 5, 2012, 11:31 pm

Programs: UA Platinum (1MM Gold), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
No

Four ways to gain Diamond:
Stays
Nights
Base Points (from stays only...no bonuses from other purchases or promos)
$40k on a Surpass AMEX
Old Aug 5, 2012, 11:41 pm
Original Poster

Yes, but my question is are credit card points, which are earned with spending money, go to the 100,000 points I need for the diamond club? I already have 40k from AMEX Hilton and another 40k from Citi Hilton. I have about 1.5k in charges per month on the card as well, but they only earn between 3 points and 6 points per charge.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 11:54 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by comptalk
Yes, but my question is are credit card points, which are earned with spending money, go to the 100,000 points I need for the diamond club? I already have 40k from AMEX Hilton and another 40k from Citi Hilton. I have about 1.5k in charges per month on the card as well, but they only earn between 3 points and 6 points per charge.
No.

The bonus points you earn from your credit cards are only good for award redemptions. They do not count toward elite status.

As Portolan mentioned, you may earn Diamond status by any one of the following four criteria within a given calendar year:
  • 28 stays
  • 60 nights
  • 100,000 base points (i.e., $10,000 in qualifying spend at Hilton properties)
  • $40,000 in spend on the American Express Hilton HHonors Surpass card (not the free American Express Hilton card)

The 100,000 base points you're referring to are only earned on spend at Hilton properties (at a rate of 10 per US dollar), and they're earned regardless of payment method.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 5:53 am

There is also the new Citibank HH Reserve Visa card that gives you diamond status with $40K spend. Bottom line is that the only way to get Diamond status from use of credit cards is to get the Surpass Amex or Reserve Visa and spend $40K/year.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 1:50 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
I believe that if you upgrade from Hilton Amex to Hilton Surpass Amex, the spend carries through. So if you'd spent $39,000 and upgraded, I believe that when you hit $40,000 you'd get Diamond.

I'm not sure what happens, though, if you've already exceeded it. If you know you will spend that much again, definitely get the Surpass or Citi Hilton Reserve.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.