Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Loyalty Programs > Hilton | Hilton HHonors
Sign in using an external account

Old Jul 25, 12, 3:01 pm   #1

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
San Diego Seaworld propeties

Trying to decide between Homewood Suites Liberty Station, Hampton Inn Seaworld, and Hilton SD Resort & Spa on Mission Bay Dr.

We won't have a car, so looking for a hotel close to Seaworld and maybe the zoo. Would like one that's walking distance to restaurants.

Is the neighborhood around the Hampton still less than desirable for walking around?

Are any of these within walking distance of public transportation?

Do you have another recommendation that's close to Seaworld?

Last edited by linsj; Jul 25, 12 at 5:06 pm. Reason: clarity
linsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 12, 3:47 pm   #2

Programs: HHonors Diamond
There are no hotels that are walking distance to seaworld or the zoo, there are not any sidewalks on the roads leading to seaworld.
particlemn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 12, 5:05 pm   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlemn View Post
There are no hotels that are walking distance to seaworld or the zoo, there are not any sidewalks on the roads leading to seaworld.
I know I can't walk to Seaworld or the zoo; planning to take taxi. I reworded my post to clarify.
Old Jul 25, 12, 5:14 pm   #4

Programs: HHonors Diamond
The liberty station has many restaurants to walk to and is really close to the airport. the other two have not much around, the Hilton SD Resort & Spa is really nice if you want to just stay on property enjoy the pool and the beach, the food is really good but it is resort pricing. I think the nicest Hilton in SD is the Torrey pines Hilton but it will require a car to go anywhere and is much further from the airport, SeaWorld, and the zoo.
Also the down town doubletree is a great location near airport close to great restaurants you can walk to including little Italy, and near both the zoo and SeaWorld.
particlemn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 12, 5:37 pm   #5

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat
I stayed at the Hilton SD Resort a few times and there is really not much you could walk to unless you are really into walking. I like the on property restaurant there though and it has nice view. From the map, looks like you could walk to quite a few places from Hampton Inn Seaworld. I drove there to get In'n Out burger and visited Old Town when I was staying at SD resort.
Need is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 12, 2:13 pm   #6

I decided on Homewood, but honors stays for nonsmoking rooms are not available for any of my dates.

So ... other recommendations for a hotel not too far from SeaWorld and the zoo, in good neighborhoods, with restaurants within walking distance? Most of the reviews here are old.
Old Aug 1, 12, 3:22 pm   #7
sk3

Programs: AA Gold
-----

Last edited by sk3; Aug 1, 12 at 3:27 pm.
sk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 12, 5:12 pm   #8

Programs: AA, Identity Gold, Sapphire Preferred, Hilton Diamond
Post #4 gave you good recommendations. If anything, check google maps. It's a wonderful tool because you can see what restaurants are near the hotels and the distance to the zoo.

Again, it sounds like google maps will be your best bet at this point. You might want to consider Gaslamp Hilton though.
CreditRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 12, 8:52 pm   #9

Location: San Diego, CA , 4.2MM+ AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
"Not too far from Sea World AND the Zoo?". Not really possible. You can be close to one of them, or somewhere in the middle.

Have you called Homewood at LS and asked them if they have a non-smoking room? So many properties are ALL non smoking, surprised they would not have one available......but you would need to take out a loan for a cab from Liberty Station to/from the zoo.

I would consider the Doubletree in Mission Valley. http://doubletree3.hilton.com/en/hot...-DT/index.html
Hotel website estimates a $20 cab ride from the airport.

Close to the freeway to get to I-8 for Sea World and also close to 163 to get to the Zoo. Walking distance to several restaurants including Randy Jones and Joes Crab Shack, and many fast food/family choices across the street and a Denny's. In the next complex is Sansai (japanese) Also a movie theatre in the complex. Taxifarefinder estimates a cab to Sea World at about $26 each way and to the Zoo about $17 each way.

Another thought is the Holiday Inn across from the Maritime Museum (which is the best value most overlook family venue in San Diego). They have a complimentary shuttle to/from the airport and the Zoo, there are lots of places to eat nearby & the cab to/from Sea World would be about $20 each way.

Have you ever used a cab in San Diego? If I were you I would look at some of the 35% off deals Hertz is offering through AA with 4 x bonus on AAdvantage miles. It will cost you at least one day's car rental for a cab to/from the zoo and or Sea World, let alone wait time from calling one. BTW I used taxifarefinder to estimate a cab from Liberty Station to the Zoo. Over $100 each way.

But, parking is about $16 per nite at the Doubletree and parking is free at the zoo but additional at Sea World.

Also, if you are a COSTCO member, your best value is to buy your tickets through them.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...t29676&topnav=

Here's another link to a discount for Sea World. http://www.retailmenot.com/showcoupon/3564577

And one for the Zoo.
http://www.retailmenot.com/showcoupon/1638875

Last edited by FrAAmer; Aug 1, 12 at 9:07 pm.
FrAAmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 12, 10:15 pm   #10

My family and I just had a great stay at the Hilton San Diego Resort and Spa on Mission Bay. They have a free shuttle to and from Sea World once per day and will shuttle the whole family there on demand for $12. A cab ride is about same. It's about $20-$25 to the zoo.
a7800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 12, 3:43 pm   #11

Reporting back for future reference ...

I ended up going by myself and stayed at Embassy Suites downtown/bay on points. Great location by the ocean, across the street from Seaport Village, restaurants within walking distance, close to public transportation.

Instead of taking taxis, I decided to go cheap. Took the Green Line Trolley to Old Town and transferred to bus 9 to SeaWorld, easy to do and about a half hour trip. For the zoo, it's a 15-minute bus ride (#7), few blocks walk to catch it from ES.

If I were to do this trip again, I'd stay at ES and use the trolley and bus. (I hate renting cars in cities, paying parking fees, and driving in unfamiliar territory.)
Old Sep 27, 12, 4:00 pm   #12

Programs: AA EXP/Hilton Diamond/Marriott Platinum/Hertz Pres. Circle/Avis Grand Wizard/Wife's Favorite Husband
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrAAmer View Post
....but you would need to take out a loan for a cab from Liberty Station to/from the zoo.

Have you ever used a cab in San Diego? If I were you I would look at some of the 35% off deals Hertz is offering through AA with 4 x bonus on AAdvantage miles. It will cost you at least one day's car rental for a cab to/from the zoo and or Sea World, let alone wait time from calling one. BTW I used taxifarefinder to estimate a cab from Liberty Station to the Zoo. Over $100 each way.
I second that. Take a rental car. I got a car with AVIS for two days for $69 total (taxes and all). Added to that $9/day rental car insurance through third party Allianz and grand total is $87. Booked it through AA.com

With your Taxi rides to the zoo, and SeaWorld you'll get up to that amount any way.
parvez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 12, 7:25 pm   #13

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Quote:
Originally Posted by linsj View Post
Reporting back for future reference ...

I ended up going by myself and stayed at Embassy Suites downtown/bay on points. Great location by the ocean, across the street from Seaport Village, restaurants within walking distance, close to public transportation.

Instead of taking taxis, I decided to go cheap. Took the Green Line Trolley to Old Town and transferred to bus 9 to SeaWorld, easy to do and about a half hour trip. For the zoo, it's a 15-minute bus ride (#7), few blocks walk to catch it from ES.

If I were to do this trip again, I'd stay at ES and use the trolley and bus. (I hate renting cars in cities, paying parking fees, and driving in unfamiliar territory.)
Cool I just happened to reserved a room next month at ES.
Need is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 12, 8:35 pm   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by parvez View Post
I second that. Take a rental car. I got a car with AVIS for two days for $69 total (taxes and all). Added to that $9/day rental car insurance through third party Allianz and grand total is $87. Booked it through AA.com

With your Taxi rides to the zoo, and SeaWorld you'll get up to that amount any way.
Too late for this advice, which I wouldn't have taken anyway. See my post #11 above yours. Parking at Embassy Suites is $29/night. Three-day metro pass was $14.