Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Loyalty Programs > Hilton | Hilton HHonors
Sign in using an external account

Old Jul 29, 12, 11:29 am   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by san888 View Post
Been diamond for 6 years, already have diamond for 2013 with 31 stays. I feel that Hilton is ruining their reward program. Will give SPG a shot to earn my business.

May as well walk across the street (where there is a **wood hotel available), no reward stays on D48 either and pay higher rates (did I mention, no double dip either). Why not? Makes perfect sense, if it works for you.

**wood has limited locations, and you still will not have D48 for reward stays. So in either case, you will still have to plan vacations ahead of time if you are using your points.

Whatever makes most sense for you. But, I do understand your frustration, just not so sure changing hotel chains will solve the issue.

If you can keep top tier status with 2 chains this might help by giving you more flexibility.
shoreline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 12, 1:58 pm   #92

Location: MSP (Mahtomedi, MN, USA) - Delta Diamond, HH Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, CVS Red, US Mint Silver
Programs: "We've been starving, and sitting on a ham sandwich the whole time." http://tinyurl.com/DLsammich
Any news how things are going with Marriott for status match, platinum challenge, etc for Hilton Diamond "refugees" ??

Thanks guys.
wbl-mn-flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 12, 2:32 pm   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by san888 View Post
Been diamond for 6 years, already have diamond for 2013 with 31 stays. I feel that Hilton is ruining their reward program. Will give SPG a shot to earn my business.
Don't expect much. I've been *Wood Platinum for the last 3 years and really don't see much difference between their Gold tier, other than lounge access and continental breakfast.... if you want the suite upgrade benefit, be prepared to fight the hotel front desk 99% of the time.

Have only used the Diamond Force for an award once, so not necessarily sad to see it go.
SNA_Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 12, 2:42 pm   #94
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SPG Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Taj IC Gold, AI Maharajah, DL Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer View Post
Don't expect much. I've been *Wood Platinum for the last 3 years and really don't see much difference between their Gold tier, other than lounge access and continental breakfast.... if you want the suite upgrade benefit, be prepared to fight the hotel front desk 99% of the time.

Have only used the Diamond Force for an award once, so not necessarily sad to see it go.
it all depends on where you are traveling....in asia i have never had to fight for a suite upgrade & i get it 99% of the time....
Keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 12, 5:41 pm   #95

Location: ATL - DL DM/2.2MM - HH Diamond - Marriott Gold -*wood Plat
I've been a member since '87 - Hilton has treated me very well - in the past.

I have just completed the SPG Plat challenge, 18 nights in the past 3 months - haven't booked a Hilton room since.

Hilton should make Diamond harder to achieve and return some benefits to the level.
Tomphot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 12, 6:07 pm   #96

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, BW Diamond
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomphot View Post
Hilton should make Diamond harder to achieve and return some benefits to the level.
I am diamond via Surpass spend but see your fustration and feel it should also be harder to achieve gold as well.

I had 24 paid stays with hilton last year so a few short of earning Diamond that regular way but more than enough for Gold.

The reason I just go for diamond with the surpass stay is that gold is worthless anymore. Gold used to get lounge access and that isn't the case anymore. and upgrades are really hard to get. But you can get gold by simply having a $90 a year credit card. With gold being so easy to get, Hilton can't allow access to the lounge for golds no on the exec floor anymore without there being a huge overcrowding issue.

I can understand someone with diamond the traditional way being upset that Hilton is handing out diamond status with a simple $40K in credit card spend, but I am feeling the same thing seeing if I didn't have the surpass card, I would have the same status with 24 paid stays in a year as someone just having a credit card with a $90 a year fee or able to get the status by some promo like having a signature visa card or only staying four stays in a year with the MVP fast track.

And it isn't just Hilton doing it with Am Ex. As a paid skyclub member I feel the same fustration when I see a person in line ahead of me getting by jsut having their am ex Platnium card swiped as a Hilton Diamond has to feel by someone getting diamond status by justing having an am ex card.
jamesteroh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 12, 9:51 pm   #97
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL KM, HH Diamond, IC Amb, Hyatt Diamond, NA EE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer View Post

YMMV. The DSA is one of those not often used but worth a ton benefits. I used it 4 times the past 2 years, each time was worth gold.

Now DL has replaced it with a rock.
mnredfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 12, 10:06 pm   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnredfox View Post
YMMV. The DSA is one of those not often used but worth a ton benefits. I used it 4 times the past 2 years, each time was worth gold.

Now DL has replaced it with a rock.
It worked great for me the first time i stayed at the DT Times square on new years and one time at the Bentley when rates were $1k a night. There were two times this year I tried using diamond force for paid stays and was told they wouldn't honor it because the hotels had extraordinary demand
Old Jul 30, 12, 9:57 pm   #99

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH D, SPG Plat 100, Hertz PC
I only used Diamond Force once a year or so but it was worth its weight in gold. There is very little point for me in going for Diamond anymore if the only real difference vs. Gold is extra points. There is no value in more points if "premium" rooms are costing four or five times what they used to. I am switching the bulk of my stays to SPG where I can. I would rather hit 100 nights with Starwood and get 4 points/$, 10 Suite Night upgrades, YouFirst 24 hour check in and my own Ambassador.
jchiguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 12, 10:57 pm   #100
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL KM, HH Diamond, IC Amb, Hyatt Diamond, NA EE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesteroh View Post
It worked great for me the first time i stayed at the DT Times square on new years and one time at the Bentley when rates were $1k a night. There were two times this year I tried using diamond force for paid stays and was told they wouldn't honor it because the hotels had extraordinary demand
Hence I think there is no value to "No Blackout dates" and that is just marketing crap.
mnredfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 12, 3:58 am   #101

Programs: BA Silver, HH diamond, SPG Gold, whole lot of almost on a whole lot of others
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnredfox View Post
Same here. I've only used it 2 times. But both times, it was mightily appreciated and saved me lots of $$$. Though rarely used by me, it was one of the main reasons I stayed Diamond with Hilton.

The guaranteed lounge is a nice benefit. But in the past 2 yrs they have become so overcrowded that often there is SRO and the behaviors are seen have really deteriorated Maybe it's the crowds but I've seen more of the greedy, selfish behavior of taking the ENTIRE bottle of wine (and once scotch) to someone's table (if self-serve) and massive piling of food onto plates so the food offerings are stripped extremely quickly. I feel sorry for the lounge attendants, struggling to keep up w/demand (and clean up) and trying to control the rude behaviors (also have ppl conversing extremely loudly, prb cuz very drunk after draining an entire bottle of liquor). This makes the lounge benefit not so pleasant any more. So just having guaranteed EL is really not enough to keep me Diamond.
travelinfoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 12, 8:09 am   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelinfoo View Post
The guaranteed lounge is a nice benefit. But in the past 2 yrs they have become so overcrowded that often there is SRO and the behaviors are seen have really deteriorated Maybe it's the crowds but I've seen more of the greedy, selfish behavior of taking the ENTIRE bottle of wine (and once scotch) to someone's table (if self-serve) and massive piling of food onto plates so the food offerings are stripped extremely quickly. I feel sorry for the lounge attendants, struggling to keep up w/demand (and clean up) and trying to control the rude behaviors (also have ppl conversing extremely loudly, prb cuz very drunk after draining an entire bottle of liquor). This makes the lounge benefit not so pleasant any more. So just having guaranteed EL is really not enough to keep me Diamond.
I wish Hilton would enforce entrance to only people staying on the exec floor and diamonds and ONE GUEST and that would help a lot with the congestion.

I was at the Washington Hilton in January and overhead someone on their cell phone telling their friends she would come down to their floor and get them and there were free appetizers and soft drinks in the lounge and 5 minutes later she had 2 adults and 2 kids she brought in. The attendant by the door should have asked for a room number before just allowing her to use her key to enter. A long time ago I was staying at the Palmer house in chicago (when gold members got lounge access) and there wa sa teenage dance convention going on and I saw a couple girls got on the elevator with me riding up to 23 and they went to the fridge and raided all the soda and water and put it in a duffel bag. That was iritating since I went up there for a bottled water and there was no bottled water left. This behavior not only overcrowds the lounge, but the poachers are making it more expensive for the lounges to provide better choices.

I wish Hilton would allow 2 guests in per room and charge for extra guests and have better offerings.
Old Jul 31, 12, 8:14 pm   #103

Programs: AA EXP and Million Miler Lifetime Gold ; HH Diamond
I have been a Diamond member for 18 years and am closing in on 1000 lifetime stays. In that time I have only used the diamond force once, but it was a HUGE savings and made a big difference in a special occassion trip with my wife.

I only call the diamond desk for help once ever two or three years and they are always helpful. That said, I have seen a dramatic reduction in the value of Diamond status over the years. This coupled with the tremendous erosion in the value of points has me rethinking my loyalty. 800,000 points used to represent real opportunity - with the new premium awards now it can bee blown on one trip to a signature destination. By far the best recognition of diamond has been on trips to China and Japan - they still seem to realy value the diamond designation. In the US it seems almost useless as distinguished from gold. Now that diamond status can be earned with spending 40K on a cc I am considering maintaing diamond status that way and looking at other opptions for my regular business stays. My brother-in-law has been tying to get me to switch to Marriott for 20 years; now I can get top staus at two chains and compare the benefits. Every cloud has a silver lining.
DevilDawg1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 12, 7:22 am   #104

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, US Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabez View Post
This is ideed sad. I have had to use the force many times, and it was a positive for being a diamond. Many of us first nail the flights down ,if using miles. Some airlines (especially my Delta) make it difficult to use the miles.
Once I get my dates I start booking my stays. Now, it's very possible my hotel of choice will not be available.
One of the major reasons I spend around 200 nights a year with HH properties is to be sure I can use my points in Rome, Venice, Florence, Munich, etc. Now, it's a roll of the dice-and I hate snake eyes.
I guess it's time to shuffle my stays elsewhere to best protect myself. Not sure if Marriott ,or SPG are my best bets, but no force means that once again HH has thumbed its nose at diamonds.
By the way, I know all the hotel chains have weaknesses. But, the force simply meant I was sure I'd use my points as I desired. Now, it's leading to using them only when the hotel allows. Eventually, i expect there will be tiers with higher points for peak times.
+1.
dwcatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 12, 1:39 pm   #105

Programs: GP plat, SPG plat
I was seriously considering taking up the Diamond challenge. After reading these Diamond dilutions and how close Gold is to Diamond, I'll just settle for the 1 stay to get Gold (thanks to the AA and other airline promotion). I'll just continue on my way to SPG Plat 75/100 and have an OK backup in Hilton Gold.

I'm sure it's been mentioned in the FT forums already, but for those interested: http://thepointsguy.com/2012/08/targ...-50000-points/
bouncingbug is offline   Reply With Quote