Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Breaking up a 2week long stay for better rates?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2012, 2:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec, ANA, HHonours Diamond

Hoping to stay in Italy for a week - found the hotel and the price varies considerably, depending how the week is broken up. i.e

Book the whole 7 days and the room rate is 470Euro/day

Book 5 of the days and then the last 2 and the room rate is 254Euro and 470 respectivily.

Book into more smaller chunks - 2 days then 3 days and then 1 day and then 1 day and the price is the cheapest i can get it.

My question is how will this affect my booking? - im planning on booking the same room type for all days:

Will they insist i move rooms?
Will i have to keep checking in and out?
Will i have to be out of the room by xx time and not get into the room until xx time as a different booking?

First time i have debated the several consecutive bookings/nights this way i do not know how the propoerty will view my 'money saving' stay.

Thanks
Old Jul 19, 2012, 4:45 am

Programs: QR Plat, EK Plat, EY Plat, HH Diamond
I think you'll be just fine staying in the same room all the days. I would e-mail the hotel in advance and notice them and ask them to link all my reservations to one.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:17 am

Programs: HH diamond
I've done that before. I just let the hotel know that I have multiple bookings when I check-in. They link them but I still had to check-in and out at the end of each reservation. It's just a formality, you don't have to move. But you do have to get a new key coded for each new reservation.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by travelinfoo
I've done that before. I just let the hotel know that I have multiple bookings when I check-in. They link them but I still had to check-in and out at the end of each reservation. It's just a formality, you don't have to move. But you do have to get a new key coded for each new reservation.
I've also done this exactly with prepaid rates. I did have some issues getting the right points posted after the stay so I had to call HHONORS to get the corect points posted.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 1:19 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, B6, BA (airline status-free leisure traveler), Hilton Diamond
Book the same room type for all reservations

The only real sticking point that I can see for the OP is if he/she has different room types booked for each booking. It would be best to book the exact same room type for each reservation in order to avoid moving rooms.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 1:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Just do't expect to get HH credit for more than one stay.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
I'd booked the days that are the cheapest rate and then call the hotel and see if they'll extend it for the whole stay and have them add the extra days. I've done this when I couldn't find the same rate or promotion and have had good luck.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Just do't expect to get HH credit for more than one stay.

true. Op will get the point credit for the entire stay, but this is still 1 stay and x number of nights.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 8:05 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
This comes up quite a bit, and most of the time, the vast majority, people have said they are able to have the hotel not make them move rooms all the time. You probably will have to check in and out a few times,

Work it all out at checkin, they will let you know if they can do it or not.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 8:46 pm

Programs: HH diamond
Originally Posted by loomis
The only real sticking point that I can see for the OP is if he/she has different room types booked for each booking. It would be best to book the exact same room type for each reservation in order to avoid moving rooms.
This is an important point. If you have reserved different room types on the different reservations, you may have to move in between reservations. But it'll still be considered one stay.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 3:55 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Would it not be easier to ask the hotel to honor one rate for the entire stay (a pre negotiated rate) I am sure for a 2 week stay, I am sure there must be some room to move?
Old Jul 20, 2012, 4:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by lcohen999
Would it not be easier to ask the hotel to honor one rate for the entire stay (a pre negotiated rate) I am sure for a 2 week stay, I am sure there must be some room to move?
I'd agree with this. Individual hotel properties, car rental locations, etc can often create deals that you won't find online. Figure out something fair that works for you and ask them to provide it. Just don't be upset if they say no.

Even if they can't offer the room you want at the price you want they can throw other things in at cost/reduced rate to soften the deal and make it work for them and you: breakfast, dinner on arrival, movies, etc.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 1:12 am

I do this a lot in Asia and never even have to check out, so it must vary a little by hotel and region.

Sometimes my room key stops working properly but I've found room keys so iffy that I barely notice.

I like the idea of emailing the hotel and seeing if they will do the one flat rate. Another option is for them to give you the whole two weeks at the average price. It won't save you and $ but means only the single booking number and makes it easier (I assume) for them to upgrade you, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.