Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Los Angeles Downtown {US-CA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Los Angeles Downtown {US-CA}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2012, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
Arrow DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Los Angeles Downtown {US-CA}

Seems this hotel has just opened after being rebranded from the Kyoto Grand.

I have a trip to LA in December and would like to know how this hotel treats Golds/ Diamonds in terms of upgrades and breakfast.

Anyone have a stay coming up?
Old Jul 18, 2012, 7:55 am

Programs: OZ *G, HHonors Gold, Aclub Plat
I have a stay booked for early Sept. Will let you know
Old Jul 18, 2012, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
Hey Calvin
That's great. I'm guessing I'll see it in the form of a TR? haha
Old Sep 3, 2012, 7:57 pm

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Originally Posted by lsed
Seems this hotel has just opened after being rebranded from the Kyoto Grand.

I have a trip to LA in December and would like to know how this hotel treats Golds/ Diamonds in terms of upgrades and breakfast.

Anyone have a stay coming up?
Just completed a two-night stay here (Sat/Sun). Booked advanced rate at $127 per night.

Presented my HHonors Gold card at check-in and was upgraded to the 19th floor, which, according to the FD person was a newly renovated room. I found the room quite comfortable and clean, although the bathroom was compact.

It's an older building, so even on the 19th floor, there is noticeable street noise due to single-pane windows and poorly insulated room walls. My room had a nice flat-screen TV with good selection of programming.

Very nice on-site garden area complete with water features; took my coffee out there each morning, a relaxing oasis within a chaotic downtown area. Ask for a room that overlooks the garden.

As a HH Gold, I wasn't offered anything beyond the higher floor. I did ask for (and received a day later) drink coupons. Think they're still getting used to the "Hilton" thing. The property is still undergoing some renovations in the common spaces, but not really an inconvenience. There is a full Starbucks located at the hotel, very nice. I usually don't do hotel breakfasts; peeked at the morning spread, same greasy bacon/sausage found universally.

Immediate area worked well for me. Little Tokyo is right at the hotel doorstep; awsome Japanese noodle places and grill restaraunts within five minutes.

Parking is expensive, but if you stay on a weekend, beginning Saturday at 6pm until Monday 8am, street parking is free.

Over all, I really like this property and plan on making it my usual L.A. hotel while visiting family & friends. I hope to score bigger and better upgrades as they get to know me
Old May 20, 2013, 6:48 pm

Thanks fozziedoggie
Anyone else ventured a stay?
Old May 21, 2013, 1:20 am

I had a one night stay here back in March. Nothing memorable from what I recall.
The review by fozziedoggie is spot on IMO. They assigned me a King room on 19th floor
as well. Vouchers were given for the breakfast buffet which had a good selection. But this
place is out dated in certain areas like some DT's tend to be. There is a Starbucks next
door and the Metro within walking distance. Good location of one prefers Little Tokyo or
needs to be near Union Station. A few Amtrak crew were in the lobby so it seems like a
layover spot for them. Still prefer the Hilton Checkers when in downtown even though the
rooms are quite small.
Old May 21, 2013, 1:10 pm

Thank you, mr 27. If I could afford the Checkers, I'd be there. I think I'll give the DT a try.
Old May 21, 2013, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
Thank you, mr 27. If I could afford the Checkers, I'd be there. I think I'll give the DT a try.
Sometimes the Hilton and DT can be had for around the same price. Just have to
flexible with the dates.
Old May 21, 2013, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by mr27
Sometimes the Hilton and DT can be had for around the same price. Just have to
flexible with the dates.
I'll tell my employer I need flexibility so I don't end up in a second-rate hotel
Old May 22, 2013, 8:32 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by mr27
I had a one night stay here back in March. Nothing memorable from what I recall.
The review by fozziedoggie is spot on IMO. They assigned me a King room on 19th floor
as well. Vouchers were given for the breakfast buffet which had a good selection.
Were you upgraded to a Garden Room? Did you ask about it? (Dare I ask if anyone has scored a suite upgrade here?) Also, were you offered drink vouchers and/or bottled water?
Old May 29, 2013, 3:02 pm

To answer my own questions, here was my experience last weekend:

I booked a points+cash award for a standard King room. OLCI was not available for the booking. Called the morning of arrival to ask about my room assignment. Was told I'd be in a standard room on the 19th floor. Casually asked about whether a Diamond suite upgrade might be available and the agent promptly said I would be confirmed for a King suite on the same floor. ^

At check-in, the agent thanked me for my loyalty as a Diamond and proactively offered breakfast vouchers along with the standard cookies. When I asked about drink vouchers, he said, "Sure, but let me ask my supervisor. We were giving them out like candy for a while." With the supe's approval, we were given two vouchers total for house wine/beer or well drinks at the lobby bar. We ordered pinot grigio, which was a premium item and thus not valid for the vouchers. But since they were out of the house white wine, the vouchers were honored. The barkeep (like all other staff we encountered) was very friendly and she was very generous with the pours.

As for the facility itself, everything was very clean and tastefully appointed. The entryway clearly went through a big refresh with the recent rebranding, but the Japanese elements were maintained (such as the striking lobby decor and garden, and the gallery and gift shop geared towards Japanese visitors). The suite was perfectly functional and had a great view of Downtown. The bathroom was average, but not cramped by any means. I also didn't find noise to be an issue at all. Again with the Japanese influence, there was a freshly-wrapped pair of slipper included with the robe in the closet. There was no complimentary bottled water, but I didn't ask.

The breakfast buffet in the restaurant was outstanding, easily the best I've ever had at a DT. There was a chef cooking made-to-order omelets (a la ES) along with pancakes and waffles, plus an extensive selection of hot and cold western breakfast items (additionally miso soup, rice, and pickles).

Overall, we had an excellent stay and enjoyed the prime location near Union Station. I wouldn't hesitate to stay again at the right price.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
To answer my own questions, here was my experience last weekend:

I booked a points+cash award for a standard King room. OLCI was not available for the booking. Called the morning of arrival to ask about my room assignment. Was told I'd be in a standard room on the 19th floor. Casually asked about whether a Diamond suite upgrade might be available and the agent promptly said I would be confirmed for a King suite on the same floor. ^

At check-in, the agent thanked me for my loyalty as a Diamond and proactively offered breakfast vouchers along with the standard cookies. When I asked about drink vouchers, he said, "Sure, but let me ask my supervisor. We were giving them out like candy for a while." With the supe's approval, we were given two vouchers total for house wine/beer or well drinks at the lobby bar. We ordered pinot grigio, which was a premium item and thus not valid for the vouchers. But since they were out of the house white wine, the vouchers were honored. The barkeep (like all other staff we encountered) was very friendly and she was very generous with the pours.

As for the facility itself, everything was very clean and tastefully appointed. The entryway clearly went through a big refresh with the recent rebranding, but the Japanese elements were maintained (such as the striking lobby decor and garden, and the gallery and gift shop geared towards Japanese visitors). The suite was perfectly functional and had a great view of Downtown. The bathroom was average, but not cramped by any means. I also didn't find noise to be an issue at all. Again with the Japanese influence, there was a freshly-wrapped pair of slipper included with the robe in the closet. There was no complimentary bottled water, but I didn't ask.

The breakfast buffet in the restaurant was outstanding, easily the best I've ever had at a DT. There was a chef cooking made-to-order omelets (a la ES) along with pancakes and waffles, plus an extensive selection of hot and cold western breakfast items (additionally miso soup, rice, and pickles).

Overall, we had an excellent stay and enjoyed the prime location near Union Station. I wouldn't hesitate to stay again at the right price.
Thanks for this detailed trip report! Has anyone had anymore recent experience at this location? I'm looking being there for a 10 day period next month, and was wondering if the breakfast/rooms/Diamond recognition are still the same as they were? Also, I didn't see a pool/jacuzzi listed, wondering if that was an oversight?
Old Oct 29, 2014, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by Ritz
Thanks for this detailed trip report! Has anyone had anymore recent experience at this location? I'm looking being there for a 10 day period next month, and was wondering if the breakfast/rooms/Diamond recognition are still the same as they were? Also, I didn't see a pool/jacuzzi listed, wondering if that was an oversight?
Well, we stayed here again a few months ago on a Saturday and once again enjoyed a great suite upgrade. ^ I wouldn't count on it for such a long stay, but hopefully you'll at least be placed on a high floor.

There's also a new pub adjacent to the breakfast area called Justice Urban Tavern (with faux-hipster decor like Edison bulbs, rows of succulents and jars of pickles, linen napkins, etc.). As a Diamond we were proactively given two complimentary "Small Bites" vouchers for appetizers there, the portions of which were substantial. Finally, the breakfast area itself is aesthetically nicer with the renovations that went into opening the pub.

I don't believe this property has a pool, just the fitness room.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 10:58 am

Any recent reports from here? Trying to decide whether to use 60k points at Checkers or 20k points + $85 here for a night. Obviously 20k+$85 is a better deal but should I spend more to get the Checkers?
Old Jan 10, 2017, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by lizs
Any recent reports from here? Trying to decide whether to use 60k points at Checkers or 20k points + $85 here for a night. Obviously 20k+$85 is a better deal but should I spend more to get the Checkers?
Checkers is nice if you get upgraded to a suite (Pres. suite is wonderful - very traditional), otherwise the 20/85 is a better value IMO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.