Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Discussion for Hilton Honors Hotels in Uruguay {URY}

Old Sep 15, 2019, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Any input on the HGI vs the new Soro Curio property? I know it's not open yet, but how does the location compare? I've heard a lot of good about the HGI.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 3:39 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by MissJ
Any input on the HGI vs the new Soro Curio property? I know it's not open yet, but how does the location compare? I've heard a lot of good about the HGI.
Curio obviously will be a more stylish property. Location wise, the Curio would be in a better area with ood restaurants and cafes in the immediate vicinity, as well as the beachwalk at Pocitos. The HGI is in a more corporate area, but sits atop a shopping mall. It also has free off-street parking if you're driving.

The HGI is very good indeed (possibly one of the best in the system), but personally I'd try the Curio.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 9:00 am
Original Poster

We are not driving, so that isn't a factor. I did like the idea of the tall hotel with good views. I think I'll keep my HGI booking but also book the Soro and read reviews as soon as they come in. I am really interested in the breakfast differences and reviews on comfort. The HGI does seem quite good. The important things for me are a walkable location, large comfy beds, and a good breakfast. We tend to get up and have a decent breakfast that will hold us over until well into the afternoon.

Looks like the Soro Montevideo is open. Very few reviews so far. Hoping there will be more before we have to definitely commit to which one we are staying at in December.

https://curiocollection3.hilton.com/...OQQ/index.html

Last edited by cblaisd; Jul 23, 2023 at 7:54 am Reason: merged poster's two consecutive posts
Old Nov 1, 2019, 1:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; AerClub Silver, Hilton Honors Diamond
I've ben there two weeks ago, Curio was not yet open, so cannot comment on the hotel, location looks good. HGI was very good, upgraded to a one bedroom suite that had a great view. Breakfast was also good in terms of variery and quality. HGI location is connected to a shopping mall and I found it easy and cheap to use uber to go around.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 8:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Looks like the Soro Montevideo is open. Very few reviews so far. Hoping there will be more before we have to definitely commit to which one we are staying at in December.
For once I am the first Ft'er somewhere! Just arrived tonight, so will have some feedback after I have left.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 9:19 pm
Original Poster

Yes! I'm so glad. Really looking forward to the review. I have to rooms booked and have been just hoping to see some trustworthy feedback before I had to decide.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Forever in Seattle
For once I am the first Ft'er somewhere! Just arrived tonight, so will have some feedback after I have left.

So how was it? I've had to move my Christmas trip but am working to reschedule since I still really want to visit the area.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 7:21 pm

So how was it? I've had to move my Christmas trip but am working to reschedule since I still really want to visit the area.
Sorry, been busy and thought I had replied! In short, I stayed 3 nights, and would go back.

The hotel had only been open for a month the staff said, and had their first full occupancy weekend, but they already are into the swing of things. It is located in a busy residential neighborhood, so the food and bar options near by are more aimed at the locals.
There are 4 rooms per floor, with I think it was 10 floors of rooms. 2 rooms face the front of the hotel and have views of the public garden over the road and water. The back 2 rooms from what I could tell look into the back of buildings on the same block. The top rooms might have more of a view. As per the hotel photos, there is a decent gym and outside Jacuzzi, which had opening hours listed, so I doubt you can use it for a midnight party.

Their restaurant is open for dinner and breakfast. The kitchen is open plan, which is pretty cool, and I think I counted 10 tables, and one large table with stools, made from one solid piece of tree trunk that I would love to have in my house! I didn't have dinner, but looked at the menu and it was simple with around 6 options - I was really tempted to try it on my last night, but I felt I couldn't miss out of trying the national dish. Breakfast was a decent buffet spread of local options, along with menu options that cost extra (only the buffet was the gold/diamond included breakfast, but did include eggs cooked to order).

The rooms were nice, but with parquetry floors, I would say it will be a bit noisy if someone is above you walking around in hard soled shoes, or dropping things. The TV had a lack of English channels, just BBC News, and one or 2 US ones. All the staff were friendly and helpful, and as I said at the start, I would stay there again, especially over the Garden Inn, as I rated this one higher for location and the restaurant. The Garden Inn area has more in the way of restaurant and bar options, due to the shopping mall and office blocks next door, but it isn't that far away by taxi, or walk able if you want to build up an appetite. As a Diamond they did give me a room upgrade (front rooms with a view), some welcome drinks, which from memory was wine or spirits, and a plate of snacks and fruit juice in my room.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 7:19 pm

Programs: AS 75K, AA EXP, Hilton Gold

I have recently stayed at all three Hilton properties in Montevideo. All three are great. Happy to recommend all to you. The Hampton near the airport is the best airport hotel Ive. Ever encountered. Reasonably small and quiet. Currently at the Soro. Excellent!
y
Old Mar 4, 2023, 8:36 am

I have stayed at the HGI and Soro in Montevideo, the HGI was alright, I was upgraded to a Suite, but there was a howling storm and something was banging outside my room all night, ok breakfast. Soro on the other hand had just opened when I visited in 2019, and for a small hotel really I liked it. Helpful staff, they did a very good breakfast, and I found quite a bit to explore/eat/drink in walking distance around the hotel.
Old Jul 22, 2023, 10:34 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K
Hilton Garden report

I wanted to provide a trip report for the Hilton Garden Inn. I stayed in July of 2023 for a two night reward stay as a Diamond. I booked a standard king for two nights at 60,000 points. When checking in I was upgraded to their 1 King Bed 1 Bedroom Suite with Sofabed. The property was very nice but starting to become a little retro. What really shined was the staff who were wonderful. The property was located next to a mall and also had a laundry room to wash clothes yourself. It was 10usd and included a token to activate the washer and dryer. They also provided a detergent and fabric softener as part of the cost.

The breakfast was not the best I had ever seen but it was included for my partner and me as a Diamond benefit. I would highly recommend the property if you are staying in Montevideo.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.