Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Waldorf Astoria Berlin {DEU}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2015, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by fb175091
Summary. All in all, a nice hotel, but suffering from the fact that it is part of the W=A brand with all of its idiosyncrasies (paying for the use of the swimming pool; no free breakfast for Diamonds). If this hotel was a Conrad, I'd use it more often, but the 72 EUR surcharge for breakfast for two people is a deal-breaker.
Yep, agreed. I largely avoid WA on principle alone. The idea that Hilton sees it fit to nickel and dime heir top elites at their top line of properties rubs me the wrong way. Hilton should understand that these should be aspirational properties where a little good treatment of elites can go a long way toward maintaining that affinity for the brand. When an hhonors loyalist is staying at their local Hampton, they should be able to think back to that awesome stay they had at the WA. That's part of how loyalty works, but for some reason Hilton doesn't get it. Meanwhile over at Hyatt they're sending up room service breakfast.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 3:47 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HHonors Gold, IHG Ambassador
Just checked out from W-A and I was very happy with my stay. I had booked King Deluxe room and received one at 15th floor (1512). Room was good size as was the bathroom which had both the tub and shower. I also liked the layout and furnishing although there were some marks of wear in the carpets.

Service was really friendly and attentive and wife received complimentary birthday cake that was delivered to the room.

If I would choose between Hilton and W-A in Berlin, I would choose W-A every time as the rooms are much better.

My only problem with the room was that air conditioning could not quite keep up with outside temperature of 37 degrees Celcius and curtains open.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 6:31 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond
Management issues

It has been discussed in full length whether the WA Berlin is preferable to the Hilton Berlin or not. Well, I had my first ever stay completed here end of June 15. With all the excitement on the planning, construction, opening I was looking forward to eventually try it myself. I am a happy guest at the Hilton Berlin for about 15 years. Occasionally I stay at the Hampton by Hilton and I am very happy with it for what it is (and it is excellent in being for what it is). I feel being a valued guest at both locations.

I had booked a two nights' stay, breakfast included, basic room, when a promotional rate was offered. I addressed the GM beforehand, the room division manager replied with a very polite, if not a bit over the top. On the eve of arrival I found my reservation upgraded (one category) to a Deluxe Room with View on the 12th floor. Well, WA is the Hilton top category and my expectations were set high.

The next day we transferred from the Hilton Berlin to the WA by taxi. To my surprise there was no door man within sight. So we got off the taxi, took our suitcases and headed inside. When we passed the bellman's desk three employees ran after us, the doorman inclusive. And he kindly shouted "may I help you with your luggage" - well I was half into the lobby and replied "thank you, we managed so far, we will mange the rest of the walk, too" - Not the most impressive start, the employees must have been busy with themselves, this happens.

At the front desk a very kind agent greeted us. It was 12.30 pm, some hours before regular check-in at 15.00 hrs.. Sometimes I can check-in already, other times I have to wait. This time, the room was not yet ready. The friendly agent recommended us to wait for this room because it was a nice one selected for me. The other rooms were basic rooms only (as originally reserved). During this conversation I was approached by a young employee who introduced herself as being the substitute to the room division manager (who replied to my email I sent to the GM). From her attire it was visible that she had a superior position. She said the room division manager would be in this afternoon, she welcomed me and handed me over her card to contact her "when a problem should arise".

Ok, us being (too) early at check-in, we left our luggage at the hotel, also left our mobile phone number for being contacted whenever the room would be ready and then went into town, i.e. the West Berlin city center.

After some walking we decided to go back to the WA to inquire about our room. It was 14.30 hrs by that time. There was an other receptionist dealing with us and she said our room is ready, BUT the former guests put the air condition to the highest level. Now they need to cool the room down. Unless we "want to go up to be in a sauna"(?). Meanwhile the other agent joined and he said, he is going to ask his supervisor. He came back and said, there is no equivalent room available at this time and all he could do is to offer us a basic room. I declined because I wanted a room with view as stated in my upgraded reservation.

Then another supervisor came and said: this is a misunderstanding, she apologized and that there is nothing she could do. My friend became crossed and said, that he could not imagine that they detected this heating issue just now. the kind agent then offered us to see that room to check if we would accept it. We went up to the 12th floor, the hallways being cooled down and then entered the room - a beautifully appointed room with THAT view - and at least 30 degrees Celsius. I could not imagine staying and sleeping in that room. And the best was: the air-condition was off! The agent tried to switch it on - nothing. So this was simply a nonfunctional room. I honestly do not understand why on earth he showed it to us or was made showing to us. We went down again. The agent said he is going to ask his supervisor again.

Then the previous supervisor came and offered us waiting in the 'library' instead in the lobby (I suppose they did not want other guests to listen to our argument).The library is a nice place, indeed, and so was the employee up there. He offered us a drink but I simply did not feel like having a drink. I just wanted to check into a room equivalent to that one as promised. The agent offered us to come back later for that drink (we did then, it was a generous drink and he was a great host) Some time later the supervisor came back and showed us a junior suite on the 13th floor. It was perfect, but I had to wait for one whole hour to have the hotel solved their problem. This was disappointing and I told this to the supervisor.
There were some more hick-ups I would not have expected.Thebreakfast room reserved for a group until 10.00 hrs on both morning - the first morning we were accompanied down to the Romanisches Café to have breakfast there (and the eggs benedict looked tired after having waited under the heating lamp) - the second morning members of that group were still in there starting a farewell from table to table. There was a doorman on the second night examining us from top to toe without a word when we came back to the hotel. Gross. - On the other hand we encountered many great staff doing a very good job.

One week after check-out I still had a bad after taste and wrote a review to the room division manager about my positive experiences but of course also of the negative ones. We were then contacted by a substitute by telephone and my friend told here the whole story again. Then the room division manager's email arrived saying that our experiences made should not happen in a WA and that he would like to compensate. He wanted to call and he talked to my friend. He promised a tower suite but eventually all I found was an upgrade of an existing one-night reservation on points from a junior suite to a full suite. I made this reservation before we had our first stay but did not cancel it yet. I did then. After that a second email arrived pledging to contact us again. Then the GM's secretary was on the phone offering us either lunch or dinner at the Romanisches Café (not at their appraised restaurant). One week later the voucher arrived. I replied that all in all their complaint management seems even more ineffective then their check-in procedure and their mishap management. I thought in future I would walk by this hotel but now I will rather forgo this property.

Then, the GM replied with one single sentence, no greeting, no farewell: "then we will better leave it like this" - To cut this long story short: I neither felt valued as a paying guest nor as a diamond. The have been utterly reluctant to solve a problem caused by them. Otherwise great staff but seemingly not supported by management. I am through with it.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for posting this Zurich.

Your treatment wasn't acceptable, promises, promises. You would think management would have the brains to peek inside OnQ and see what a regular guest you are at the Hilton Berlin and go the extra mile to restore your satisfaction so they can poach you from the Hilton and importantly look after you as a loyal Hilton Group guest.

When the room isn't immediately available at check-in time they should be upgrading right away further up than the miserable one category (Gold upgrade) that they so generously arranged in advance, not expecting you to wait for matters beyond your control. Time is valuable especially on what seems like a one-night stay. MAYBE treating you like that could have got you to part with some additional revenue for the restaurants and bars. Alas no, that would be too intelligent.

A good Concierge makes a hotel.

There is something wrong with W=A when the nearby Hilton is as good if not better than the W=A.

I posted in the Hilton thread that I had a stay with a few issues but it wasn't enough that I'd never go back I love the view onto the German Cathedral from the suites too much!
Old Aug 30, 2015, 10:24 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
Originally Posted by Zurich
Then, the GM replied with one single sentence, no greeting, no farewell: "then we will better leave it like this" - To cut this long story short: I neither felt valued as a paying guest nor as a diamond. The have been utterly reluctant to solve a problem caused by them. Otherwise great staff but seemingly not supported by management. I am through with it.
Doesn´t sound encouraging. I wanted to try it out next time. For me it is not only the choice between the Hilton (my favorite hotel in Berlin) and the W-A, but also between Palace (opposite, LHW) and the W-A, when I have reasons to stay in City West instead Mitte.

If that was the GM´s reaction I think it is the wrong hotel for someone like you and me, we do not fit into the expected guests profile for W-A branded hotels.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 10:34 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond
Sorry to read this @Zurich.

I incidentally had a rather enjoyable stay at the Waldorf in February, but then it was a service recovery stay organised via Hilton Corporate. I've since been hesitant to return, as I am worried that the good experience will be blurred by a sub-par experience now.

The GM does respond on tripadvisor a lot, and well, I don't think his responses are very helpful in the light of the client feedback received in many posts.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 3:21 pm

Benjamin Netanjahu in Berlin on Monday Feb. 15th and Tuesday Feb. 16th, staying at W-A.

Zone around Waldorf-Astoria Berlin blocked off for two days.

http://www.tagesspiegel.de/berlin/be.../12959826.html

https://translate.google.de/translat...-text=&act=url
Old Jun 10, 2016, 9:05 am
Suspended

Hello FTers,

Has anyone stayed recently? How was the elite treatment there (Diamond recognition like room upgrade or breakfast)?

Any recommended easy means to transfer from the TXL airport to the hotel?

Thank you!
Old Jun 10, 2016, 10:00 am

Programs: HH Diamond,Virgin Gold, Hyatt Platinum
I found GM to be arrogant and rude.
We was planning to stay here for our 20th wedding Anniversary
I emailed him asking if he would extend free breakfast to us for special occasion and being Diamond
He declined which is acceptable to me because free breakfast is not a perk of Diamond
If he had said I am sorry we cannot offer free breakfast That would of been fine
But it was his tone I did not like, he made out I was tight and cheap if we did not stay
He replied along the lines that being our 20th wedding anniversary surely a free breakfast would not dissuade me from booking a special stay for my wife.
I did not appreciate his response.
We stayed elsewhere and recieved free breakfast, room upgrade and early check in / late checkout.

Last edited by PaulH1; Jun 10, 2016 at 10:07 am
Old Jun 12, 2016, 7:47 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by PaulH1
Exactly my experience. I spoke to staff at the Hilton and the Hampton by Hilton about this. While they considered such behavior as outrageous they consistently reported on negative feed-back from other guests as well as on (economical) difficulties the WA might have.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Zurich
Exactly my experience. I spoke to staff at the Hilton and the Hampton by Hilton about this. While they considered such behavior as outrageous they consistently reported on negative feed-back from other guests as well as on (economical) difficulties the WA might have.
I was in Berlin last week and was having a chat to some Hilton bods who told me the hotel is not performing as well as expected. For me a 'told you so' moment considering the over-saturation of the hotel market on every front in Berlin. Watch breakfast becoming free soon for Elites!
I posted that two years ago. Still not improving and I imagine the GM is under a lot of pressure. But is it hardly surprising. I just can't see the point of this hotel...and the location as well. The 5 star+ market is dominated by the Adlon then various hotels trail it. The Ritz Carlton (used) to have a great lounge and to be fair the location is just as unfavourable. I am biased in that I see the most beauty in the city in the Eastern quarter, such as Gendarmenmarkt. Up against the Hilton which still does good upgrades for regular Diamonds (I am sure this hotel tries hard to please those who stay frequently) and has a lounge. Its amazing what effect having a lounge where one can have a 40c bottle of coke can make to customer satisfaction. So, you have a better chance to get a bigger and better room, a decent-ish lounge and very good breakfast vs the WA where one must pay for breakfast, upgrades are not as good and it costs more.

If Hilton were so inclined to go down the WA in Berlin I think a smaller boutique property like Amsterdam could have worked better. One could have even imagined some sort of Zehlendorf or Wannsee retreat for Barenboim to pop in for a cigar.

Perhaps my suggestion of free breakfast could make a difference?
Old Jun 12, 2016, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by PaulH1
We was planning to stay here for our 20th wedding Anniversary
I emailed him asking if he would extend free breakfast to us for special occasion and being Diamond
He declined which is acceptable to me because free breakfast is not a perk of Diamond
If he had said I am sorry we cannot offer free breakfast That would of been fine
But it was his tone I did not like, he made out I was tight and cheap if we did not stay
He replied along the lines that being our 20th wedding anniversary surely a free breakfast would not dissuade me from booking a special stay for my wife.
I did not appreciate his response.
We stayed elsewhere and recieved free breakfast, room upgrade and early check in / late checkout.
Wrong answer, indeed. I understand your reaction. Who does he think he is? Also I think he is in the position to grant free breakfast on an individual base.

Originally Posted by hugolover
I posted that two years ago. Still not improving and I imagine the GM is under a lot of pressure. But is it hardly surprising. I just can't see the point of this hotel...and the location as well. The 5 star+ market is dominated by the Adlon then various hotels trail it. The Ritz Carlton (used) to have a great lounge and to be fair the location is just as unfavourable. I am biased in that I see the most beauty in the city in the Eastern quarter, such as Gendarmenmarkt. Up against the Hilton which still does good upgrades for regular Diamonds (I am sure this hotel tries hard to please those who stay frequently) and has a lounge. Its amazing what effect having a lounge where one can have a 40c bottle of coke can make to customer satisfaction. So, you have a better chance to get a bigger and better room, a decent-ish lounge and very good breakfast vs the WA where one must pay for breakfast, upgrades are not as good and it costs more.

If Hilton were so inclined to go down the WA in Berlin I think a smaller boutique property like Amsterdam could have worked better. One could have even imagined some sort of Zehlendorf or Wannsee retreat for Barenboim to pop in for a cigar.

Perhaps my suggestion of free breakfast could make a difference?
Many true remarks. A boutique property in Mitte, Zehlendorf, Wannsee would have had eventually more chances to be accepted and frequented. Or they would have converted an existing luxury property and kept its guests. To build a new luxury grand hotel (and at a so-so location!) many years after Intercontinental, Ritz-Carlton, Grand Hyatt, probably was risky and late in this competitive Berlin luxury hotel market.

If I want to enjoy a top location for business or leisure reasons I like to stay in the governement district ("Mitte") at the nicely revovated Hilton where I am treated well for reasonable prices and get my Diamond perks.

If I want to enjoy exclusivity and see celebrities and spend some money on a special private occasion I would chose the Adlon at Brandenburg Gate (and even get comp. breakfast with any LHW card, also the one for 150$ per year, plus room upgrade).

If I need to stay for business in "City-West" (Ku´damm and KaDeWe area) I take the Hampton (free breakfast, good standard) or the Palace (LHW, free breakfast for me, room upgrade to suite often, and cheaper than the W-A). Both hotels some steps away from W-A.

Can´t see the role the W-A in Berlin could play for me in special nor in the Berlin luxury hotel market in general. But finally it is the job of the hotel operator and the managers to understand the market and their potential guests and how to do a sucessful business.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by hugolover
<snip> I just can't see the point of this hotel...and the location as well...I am biased in that I see the most beauty in the city in the Eastern quarter, such as Gendarmenmarkt. <snip>
My thoughts exactly. The W-A’s location which is near the Zoo’ Garten Bahnhof with its associated bus terminal, is not my choice. The ku'damm is a nice place to visit, but the Berlin Hilton’s location, service ethos and HH Diamond recognition (not to mention the room rate) is my go-to accommodation in Berlin. I have not stayed at the W-A and from the comments on this board about its offer, I am unlikely to do so in the near future.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 2:00 pm

Programs: FB Platinum For Life, HH Diamond
Second stay at the W=A Berlin. This time four nights, paid, as HHD.

Check-in. No waiting time. Check-in was friendly and informative. Upgraded to Junior Suite. Vouchers for two drinks.
This time a number of vouchers: one drink, 500 HH Points if EUR 30 spend in Roca, one free movie. Upgraded to a nice corner room on the 13th floor.

Room. [...] A lot of furniture features: drawers and little doors everywhere. This means that you spend the first 10 minutes exploring the room.
In one of the drawers, I found a Waldorf=Astoria Berlin Giraffe (plastic wrapped for hygiene; costs EUR 20).

As mentioned, no iron & ironing board in the room.
Still no iron & ironing board. Was brought after I requested it.

Library. The top floor has a lounge called library which functions like an Executive Lounge except that it is open to all guests and has no free drinks and food. The views are very nice and the service of the lounge attendant is exemplary.
Library was closed for the summer.

Breakfast. Breakfast served from 7am on a weekend. 36 EUR per person. The buffet was not extraordinary, but very good, and a class or two above what you get at the Hilton Berlin. A large selection of cheeses and cold cuts, breads, fruits, cereals (including goji berries). We asked for soy milk and received plenty. Coffee was brought to the table, espresso options were available.
No goji berries anymore; soy milk now on offer at the buffet. In general, I think I liked the breakfast even more than during the last stay.

Normally, my business in Berlin is near Gendarmenmarkt, but this time it was close to Ernst-Reuter-Platz, so location was perfect.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Did you take the giraffe?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.