Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Coventry {GBR} (formerly Hilton)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Coventry {GBR} (formerly Hilton)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2015, 10:59 pm

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Marriott tit, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others
Stayed this weekend, swift collection of key as used online check in. No U/G but to be fair hotel seemed full. We had air con in our room unlike previous poster. Usual benefits, drinks vouchers, nuts, car park exit tickets etc but most importantly a good nights sleep.
Friendly staff. Paid 66 GBP for the night, including breakfast so a bargain.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 1:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
We arrived late (10:30pm) and we parked our car outside the hotel (don't really want to pay for the parking), then at check-in they gave us exit tickets so we moved our car into the parking lot. The staff are friendly - there is no upgrade even though the hotel doesn't seem to be full.

Breakfast was poor, worse than the HGI and HI we stayed in B'ham.

Water + nut in the rooms

FD staff was friendly. If you have kids and want to use the pool, you'll have to be with them in the water (this is the very first hotel I experienced it).
Old Sep 14, 2015, 1:38 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
With regards to upgrades, for my last two recent stays no upgrades were applied in advance and standard rooms were being offered on via OLCI. On both cases I just politely asked if any Diamond upgrades were available at the FD and both times upgrades were cheerfully offered up.

Not sure why they have seemingly changed their upgrade approach, but it isn't for the better.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 1:51 pm

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by RAPC
With regards to upgrades, for my last two recent stays no upgrades were applied in advance and standard rooms were being offered on via OLCI. On both cases I just politely asked if any Diamond upgrades were available at the FD and both times upgrades were cheerfully offered up.

Not sure why they have seemingly changed their upgrade approach, but it isn't for the better.
Yeah I had the same thing last weekend at doubletree docklands , I politely asked too and the FD said " I will see what I can do sir"....... And got upgraded 2 cats to king deluxe river view with balcony........I quite like the idea of being preupgraded ......kinda adds to the trip.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 3:21 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by nacho
Breakfast was poor, worse than the HGI and HI we stayed in B'ham.
The HGI breakfast in Brum I am OK with, but an offering worse than that of the two HIs in Brum sounds impossible.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by treppenlaeufer
The HGI breakfast in Brum I am OK with, but an offering worse than that of the two HIs in Brum sounds impossible.
At Hilton Coventry breakfast, I have to get my own pot of tea. Plus the fried eggs were over done. The HGI has better omelette. Hilton's pastries is so so but the Hampton at Broad Street was fresh and nice. It's self service and they had most of the things I like, and things are fresh.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 5:20 am

Programs: EK Gold, EY Gold, Bonvoy LT Titanium, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Hilton Northampton is now the same with regards to upgrades
No upgrades in advance now. Just standard rooms for OLCI
Old Sep 15, 2015, 7:20 am

Hmmm, im seeing a pattern forming here, same with my stay at doubletree Docklands last weekend.......got upgrade but no preupgrade option.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by stanontour
Hilton Northampton is now the same with regards to upgrades
No upgrades in advance now. Just standard rooms for OLCI
Thanks for the heads-up, that's useful information to be armed with. I'm guessing that OLCI is fine if you are a Blue or Silver member, but for Gold & Diamond, it's probably worth waiting till you arrive and inquiring about upgrades then.

At a Hampton by Hilton this wouldn't be relevant, as normally there aren't room upgrades at all, but then I suppose even then it depends on the room type.

Anyway, very useful information to be armed with, thank you!
Old Nov 30, 2015, 3:11 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Just spent the weekend here and it is was pretty horrific.

The hotel had hired itself out from Friday to Sunday for an Irish dancing competition. The hotel lobby, bar and parts of the restaurant were filled for all of Saturday and Sunday by people attending the competition. Parking was full due to people for the competition, so we had to park on the street for part of the first day we arrived. Couldn't even unload our pram and baby stuff at the front of the hotel as this space taken up by competition people.

Families were practicing anywhere they could find a space, so the lifts were often blocked and you got attitude back for politely asking for access to the lifts as they were practicing. Kids were running around the hotel all weekend unsupervised and the limited staff couldn't keep any control over them as there were so many people and parents taking no responsibility for their offspring. I felt very sorry for the staff who looked like they had had better weekends.

As we have a baby with us, we had booked one of the suites for the extra room for her to sleep in in her travel cot. The room was in poor condition, with a strong smell of damp. The air conditioning didn't work in the lounge, whilst the bedroom aircon only did cold air. They couldn't fix this as maintenance don't work at weekends, so gave us a heater. The heater however times out after 30 minutes, which isn't practical at night. The bedroom was freezing as one of the windows didn't close properly as one handle was missing and the other was bent and wouldn't turn fully. The toilet was blocked on arrival and we were told it would take a few hours for someone to be available to fix it, so I unblocked it myself. I should really have to do that though. Finally to add to the quality of the room, the towel rail fell off this morning when I went to get a towel. As rooms go, I have not had many worse.

Back to the charming families in attendance. Our daughter goes to bed at 7pm, so we had her down to sleep both nights, only to be treated to kids storming up and down the corridors kicking the doors and running away. She was woken up a few times like this each night. A member of staff tried to stop them doing this (they were doing it on all floors) but in the end I spent part of Saturday night stood outside our room for 45 minutes to stop them doing it as they U-turned when they saw an adult. Some people aren't fit to be parents and I think the event this weekend was a chance for a number of them to get together and share their collective apathy towards their parental responsibilities.

I was told at check-out that it was the first and last time that this event will be hosted at the hotel. I suspect that they are worried about losing staff if they did it again, in the same way that a number of guests apparently walked out of the hotel over the weekend too.

The Doubletree at the Ricoh Arena is likely to be the main beneficiary when it comes to our weekends in the area to see the family going forward.
Old May 26, 2016, 2:41 am

Programs: HH Diamond, EY Gold, AY Silver, MR Plat
I have just completed a six week stay (weekdays only) at the Hilton Coventry. Nicely refurbished rooms, good gym and nice 12m pool. The breakfast is probably one of the best breakfasts I have had in a Hilton, IHG or Marriott in the UK. Lots of good choice and a chef, who will make you something that is not part of the buffet .

As a gold, I received two bottles of water, a 187ml bottle of wine and a bag of crisps per stay. I did ask at reception if this was per night ,but was told it was per stay only. If I had being diamond I would have received a bar of chocolate as well. But this would also be per stay. So not much difference. I did ask at reception for extra after each day and they kindly obliged and occasionally gave me wine too.

Parking is still £5 per day regardless of status. In the six weeks I stayed there I didn't get a room upgrade, I did ask. But was told that nothing was available. All of the rooms which I stayed in appeared to have been refurbished. But they are still in the process of refurbing some of the rooms, which reception mentioned to me one time when I asked for an upgrade.

Personally, I prefer this property to the Ricoh. As I enjoy a swim on a morning and I thought the breakfast was far superior to the Ricoh. The rates here do vary, from £70 per night some weeks to £135 other weeks for a standard room. All in all a nice property and I wouldn't hesitate to return.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 7:36 am

Stayed on Saturday night at Hilton Coventry. It is still undergoing refurbishment - a lot (2/3rds) of the 3rd floor was under construction and had to walk past the rooms that were being refurbished to get to our room (note: they work on saturday and sunday so could be noisy if near these).

As a Diamond member I received no upgrade (website was not selling any rooms - suspect this may have been due to capacity limited due to construction), although they said I was in a refurbished room. I asked for a room away from the busy road sides, but they said to "see how the room was" first.. Turned out it wasn't too noisy (331) with the window closed and slept ok with it open at night with earplugs.

The air conditioning wasn't working (there was a fan in the wardrobe instead) and the room did not have a safe which seemed very strange for a newly refurbished room, so be wary of this. There is also no fridge.

In the room were 1 bottle of each of still and sparkling water. 2x 187ml of Shiraz, 2 bags of Kettle crisps and 2 diary milk chocolate bars (there were two of us staying in the room).

Hilton Coventry is also rebranding to Doubletree later this year.

Whilst the public areas on the ground floor are nice enough, we did see a group of partygoers being rowdy in the bar before heading into town and I had to report a broken wine glass on the floor in the mens toilets at about 8pm which was a bit worrying as there were still small children around..
Old Jan 12, 2017, 11:43 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Accor Gold, Flying Blue, Exec Club.
Had a nice stay here last week.

It is now fully branded doubletree, with cookies. The first and third floors I think have been completely refurbished and are nice. The bathrooms are refreshed. We had a great king bed which was very comfortable.

Upgraded to a deluxe room the previous day, but the map for OLCI seems to have gone. Quite happy with room. Similar Diamond benefits to above, which was a very nice touch and very appreciated considering recent cutbacks.

Had a reasonably priced and good evening meal, although I could have done with a slightly more generous portion of chips! Prices were fair, and it is a good move, as if prices are right you stay in to eat. Breakfast was very good on a number of counts. It was well organised, staff were friendly, food was good, tables were all cleared and cleaned, and they had some great smoothies, a big well done.

I like the fact it still has a pool. Parking was £5. No suite upgrade(which I prefer and would like to see refurbished) but I was happy with room allocation given. Overall, a very good stay, and back next week.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by Skimanant
Had a nice stay here last week.

It is now fully branded doubletree, with cookies. The first and third floors I think have been completely refurbished and are nice. The bathrooms are refreshed. We had a great king bed which was very comfortable.

Upgraded to a deluxe room the previous day, but the map for OLCI seems to have gone. Quite happy with room. Similar Diamond benefits to above, which was a very nice touch and very appreciated considering recent cutbacks.

Had a reasonably priced and good evening meal, although I could have done with a slightly more generous portion of chips! Prices were fair, and it is a good move, as if prices are right you stay in to eat. Breakfast was very good on a number of counts. It was well organised, staff were friendly, food was good, tables were all cleared and cleaned, and they had some great smoothies, a big well done.

I like the fact it still has a pool. Parking was £5. No suite upgrade(which I prefer and would like to see refurbished) but I was happy with room allocation given. Overall, a very good stay, and back next week.
Thanks for the report, great that you had a good stay.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 6:48 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Accor Gold, Flying Blue, Exec Club.
There tonight, no upgrade at all showing on OLCI, did telephone to ask and got a quick and to the point no- hotel busy. Kind of reminds me of Leicester Hilton.
I know it is the lettering of the rules, but maybe there are some UK Hiltons that proactively upgrade, and some that really are you get what's left. Gives quite a different chance of any upgrade. Depends on the business model used and the importance of HHonors at that property I guess.
I deliberately didn't do OLCI yesterday hoping for an upgrade. It is looking slim, but waiting means that you lose the choice of the other rooms, I have a choice of 1 room only on OLCI, and on each floor there is 1 larger room better for 3 which has obviously gone!

Let's see- I was pleased with my last stay, let's see how they handle a busy hotel!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.