Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa {NZL}

Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa {NZL}

Old May 20, 2015, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*G, TK*G, Le Club Accorhotels AdvantagePlus Platinum
Arrow Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa {NZL}

Hi All,

Wondering if someone here who may have stayed at the Hilton Queenstown Resort and Spa here in New Zealand is able to shed a bit more light into the differences between the standard guest room (or guest room with lakeview) and the 1 bdr residences.

Initially I was leaning towards one of the residences but the information on what kind of view it has is confusing - On the website it states "alpine view" which I imagine is not facing towards the lake - Is it facing the other direction towards the mountains/the remarkables? On other sites, they mention that most of the residences have panoramic views of Lake Wakatipu..

On another (side) note, how would the Hilton and the Doubletree by Hilton in Queenstown compare against each other? Considering that both hotels look like they are right next to each other, the views would be similar - Would it be better to book a higher level room at the Doubletree vs. a standard room at the Hilton?

Thanks for your help.
Old May 20, 2015, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA Gold, *A Gold, HH Dia, Hertz #1 5*
Stayed at the Hilton Queenstown in March 2014. Booked a 1 bedroom with a balcony overlooking Lake Wakatipu. Keep in mind, this is what is known as the Frankton Arm of the lake, with Frankton being where the airport ZQN and a small, but well stocked shopping center are located. You are about a 10 minute drive from downtown Queenstown or about the same amount of time by water taxi. Never took the water taxi, but I wished I had tried it once. But you do have a nice water view, albeit at the end of a small section of a very large lake (go up to Gondola Peak and you'll see a fantastic view of most of the lake).

If you book a residence, which is very nice, even though you shouldn't be staying in the room much, being that it is Queenstown, make sure you don't get slightly downgraded to a studio. That's what happened to me because I arrived a day late due to extreme weather and a plane diversion. Flying from NRT to AKL, then connecting to ZQN, but the flight into AKL had an aborted landing (about 200 feet above the runway before the engines cycled up to full power) and was diverted to WLG. Missed my AKL-ZQN flight and my first night.

Breakfast was good. Being a Diamond, continental was free with a $10 upcharge, IIRC, to full cooked. Decent restaurants and bar in the complex if you want to stay in, but lots of good choices downtown.

Have no information about the Doubletree, which I would assume is in or closer to downtown.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 8:33 am

Programs: BD *S, SQ nada
Data point for stay in June 16

No more surcharge for warm breakfast. Comp breakfast is now full buffet line. Ditto for the Doubletree

The stay was great. Nice and relaxing, just like how holidays are supposed to be. Side note: its a very short drive to ZQN!
Old Jun 22, 2016, 9:57 am

Can anyone say what the shuttle or water taxi operating hours are?
Old Jun 24, 2016, 3:46 pm

Thought I would reply back here in case anyone else is looking for the info on the shuttle. They have a free hotel shuttle, water taxi, and a public bus. The water taxi and the bus cost around 8-10 dollars. The last option back leaves downtown at 22:15. First option from Hilton is at 07:00.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 4:00 pm

jeremykjtan,

Did you ever find out what alpine view meant, and whether or not every residence is a lake view?
Old Jul 22, 2016, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by kaysquare
Data point for stay in June 16

No more surcharge for warm breakfast. Comp breakfast is now full buffet line. Ditto for the Doubletree

The stay was great. Nice and relaxing, just like how holidays are supposed to be. Side note: its a very short drive to ZQN!
What is your HH status for the free breakfast?
Old Aug 3, 2016, 6:30 am

Programs: AA EXP / HH Diamond
Just completed a three-day reward stay here (late July) and as a Diamond was treated quite well at this large and wonderful property.

I was early for check-in, but the desk insisted I met the front-office manager on duty, and gave me her card so I knew how to contact her with any issues -- that was a first.

I was not upgraded, as the room type I selected was already a premium room.

Breakfast was a comped (as Diamond) full hot buffet, with eggs and omelettes on order.

I was given two drink vouchers for the Cru wine bar on premise, however the bartenders thought I deserved more (I guess this is the NZ equivalent of buying a round) so those two became 6. Also, Cru was accepting them past the stated usage time (6-7 PM) and was allowing usage for more than "house" level wine.

Bonus: The free car park is at the nearby Doubletree, and the front-desk offered me a cookie when walking through (elevators drop you in their lobby.)

Easy drive from the airport, and made use of the water taxi each way for access to town. They give you a detailed schedule on their shuttle options, as well as a public bus alternative.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 12:56 am

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by Flyer78
Just completed a three-day reward stay here (late July) and as a Diamond was treated quite well at this large and wonderful property.

I was early for check-in, but the desk insisted I met the front-office manager on duty, and gave me her card so I knew how to contact her with any issues -- that was a first.

I was not upgraded, as the room type I selected was already a premium room.

Breakfast was a comped (as Diamond) full hot buffet, with eggs and omelettes on order.

I was given two drink vouchers for the Cru wine bar on premise, however the bartenders thought I deserved more (I guess this is the NZ equivalent of buying a round) so those two became 6. Also, Cru was accepting them past the stated usage time (6-7 PM) and was allowing usage for more than "house" level wine.

Bonus: The free car park is at the nearby Doubletree, and the front-desk offered me a cookie when walking through (elevators drop you in their lobby.)

Easy drive from the airport, and made use of the water taxi each way for access to town. They give you a detailed schedule on their shuttle options, as well as a public bus alternative.
which room did you book?

anyway, For my dates, I'm seeing the same rate for the Twin Deluxe Lakeview and the One Bedroom Residence. I really want a Lakeview room. From the description, it seems Once Br Residences only have Alpine views. Anyone know if it's true?

Not sure which one to book.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 5:49 am

wrong place sorry

Last edited by highlandguy; Nov 2, 2016 at 5:55 am
Old Nov 10, 2017, 9:05 pm

Does anyone have a contact email address for this resort / management or front desk ??

thanks v much
Old Jan 3, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Checking for availability-- seems that Hilton and Doubletree Queenstown are both blocked for all reservations from April 2 to May 15th? Shows "not available" for all dates using flexible dates search.
Any guesses? Do they close at that season?
Old Jan 14, 2018, 1:59 am

Originally Posted by kyushuman
Checking for availability-- seems that Hilton and Doubletree Queenstown are both blocked for all reservations from April 2 to May 15th? Shows "not available" for all dates using flexible dates search.
Any guesses? Do they close at that season?
I called them today and they told me there's an event going on in these two Hilton properties in the period of time, so I guess we have to look for other options.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 8:44 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by markmho
I called them today and they told me there's an event going on in these two Hilton properties in the period of time, so I guess we have to look for other options.
Yes I emailed them directly and was told the same. There is "an event" going on and the hotels are not available for 6+ weeks (!) around April 1-May 15. I've never seen this before. I asked what event it is, and no reply from them.
Anyone in Queenstown know?
Old Jan 15, 2018, 12:35 am

Programs: qfc, airnz,united, hilt,apec, avis pp
Hi - Stayed at Dble tree and Hilton probably 40-50 times in last 4 years. Hilton is far superior, all double tree rooms are the same narrow size and a much poorer view. Hilton has very few poorly located rooms. The residences are not attached to the Hilton and dont really have the feel of the rooms. as they are appartments. If only 2 of you stick with Hilton. Come bcak to us if you need more answers, rgds Andrew

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.