Wiki Posts
Search

Bad experience, what to do?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2012, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott, Hyatt
Cool Bad experience, what to do?

I just got back from a 2 day stay at the Hilton College Station. I'm a diamond, so I was upgraded to the "President's Suite" which I thought would be a good thing..

The room has a hot tub in a side room. Above the hot tub is a sky light. The wall/door to the hot tub room is glass, the bed faces it, and there are absolutely no curtains. As I arrived late, I had no idea that the sky light was there. Needless to say, I was unpleasantly awoken the next morning by the bright sun around 630 am (about 4 hours before I wanted to wake up). This was especially painful because we didn't even get to the hotel room until 3 am.

I complained at the front desk and also asked for at least a sleeping mask. The front desk told me I could maybe purchase a mask in the gift shop (they didn't have any), and that due to a conference in town all the rooms were full. The three attendants acted like they couldn't believe I was complaining. I was exhausted and had a busy schedule, so I didn't take the time to argue with the manager.

Anticipating another early morning wake up for my 2nd night, I purchased a sleeping mask at a CVS. Even with it, the sun was bright enough to wake me up early again this morning. At a minimum, I feel that Hilton owes me reimbursement for having to buy sleeping mask just to be able to sleep in their hotel.

So, FlyerTalk members who have had to ask for compensation, I have 3 questions:
a. Am I being unreasonable to expect to be able to block out sunlight in my room? Personally, I can't believe I would be the first to complain, but then I also can't believe there are no curtains.
b. Should I try complaining to the Diamond Desk, or contacting the hotel manager directly?
c. What should I ask for as compensation?

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 19, 2012, 6:43 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
If it was me.....I would let it go. If you do feel a need to make a complaint then I think it is always best to go to hotel management first. If it was that bothersome I think I would have pushed further while on site.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 6:44 pm

You travel a lot, so you know stuff happens. Deal with it. Sure, the hotel may have been more accommodating, and you can choose to not stay there again if you didn't like their response. Move on.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 7:13 pm

let it go.

Sounds like a small issue in a big world. You travel a lot so be happy for the upgrade or ask for the downgrade.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 7:17 pm

Programs: WN A-List, HHonors Diamond
I always take a handtowel and fold it about three times then lay it across my eyes.

Cheaper than a mask.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 7:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
no harm, no foul
Old Feb 19, 2012, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Got to agree with everyone else. Move on.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 8:29 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I actually travel with a contoured sleep mask and earplugs, as those in airline amenity kits aren't as good, and sometimes I need them in a noisy / bright hotel room.

Magellan's "Lights Out" sleep mask

As they upgraded you to the Presidential Suite, I'd personally call it even - but as a road warrior of many years, I find it better to be prepared so I can hit the worksite the next morning up on step.

I would still write and recommend blackout curtains - it seems pretty dumb not to have them. You might get some compo, but I'd not bet on it.

Old Feb 19, 2012, 8:56 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
I'm not good on spatial relations...

but couldn't you have moved the pillows to the foot of the bed and reversed your sleep position so the light wouldn't be right in your eyes?
Old Feb 19, 2012, 9:21 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA Executive Platinum, National Executive Elite, Avis First
I'd still contact the hotel and let them know about the issue with the skylight, but I wouldn't ask for compensation. That way they can at least know it's a problem and look for a solution.

If the cost of the mask was really an issue, you should've bought one from Wal-Mart and then returned it on checkout.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 12:03 am

Programs: Too many
I'd be annoyed to, as I'd especially think the suite would be a peaceful environment.

I think mark this off as a bad one off and def travel with a sleep mask!!!
Old Feb 20, 2012, 12:41 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Similar to many I'd move on, any inconvenience caused by the sunlight should have been over-ridden by the presidential suite/hot tub upgrade. If sunlight is a big issue it sounds like the sleeping mask was a good investment for the future, and one to keep with you (though some of the other tips are interesting to note)

(In addition I have a view that if sunlight is strong enough to wake me up then I'm not too tired and should welcome the fact that I've got another couple of hours back in the day)
Old Feb 20, 2012, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by littlevoices
Similar to many I'd move on, any inconvenience caused by the sunlight should have been over-ridden by the presidential suite/hot tub upgrade. If sunlight is a big issue it sounds like the sleeping mask was a good investment for the future, and one to keep with you (though some of the other tips are interesting to note)

(In addition I have a view that if sunlight is strong enough to wake me up then I'm not too tired and should welcome the fact that I've got another couple of hours back in the day)
+1
Old Feb 20, 2012, 7:23 am

Programs: CO-Plat/UA-1P, HHonors-Gold
1) You were in the president's suite!
2) Hilton probably comped your breakfast (Diamond), even though you should have gone to Taco Cabana instead.
3) You're were staying at one of the nicest properties in the area.

This sounds like First World Problems to me...
Old Feb 20, 2012, 7:37 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Seriously? Hopefully Hilton will note OP's preferences and find a windowless broom closet for the future.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.