Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station {NLD}

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station {NLD}

Old Feb 15, 2012, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Arrow DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station {NLD}

After an OK, but not great stay in the former MINT hotel Doubletree Westminster, I now had a very nice stay at the MINT Hotel Amsterdam.

Upon checkin, I was upgraded to a very nice "Club Balcony" room on the 10th floor with amazing views across the old part of Amsterdam: the Grand Hotel Amrath, the St. Nikolaaskerk and the Oudeschans. During the weekend, the canals were frozen and I could watch the skaters from the balcony. Certainly the nicest view that I ever had in an Amsterdam hotel. The room had all of the amenities needed, including The White Company bathroom amenities, bathrobes, and Listerine mouthwash.

SkyLounge. The SkyLounge on the 11th floor is not an executive lounge, but rather a bar for everyone. Still, it is quite pleasant (relatively spacious), and I went there on Sunday to have a late lunch with great views across the city.

Breakfast. The breakfast was certainly the best that I have ever had in Amsterdam, but not really great by international standards. Eggs made to order were available, but you had to ask for them. I also had dinner in the City Cafe (where breakfast is served) which was fine.

Location. The location is quite convenient, right next to Central Station (about a five minute walk). As mentioned, the views are hard to beat.

I have another upcoming stay where something was a bit messed up in my reservation. I mentioned this to the checkout agent while I was leaving and she said "I booked you into another room". When I checked my reservations later, it now said "Junior Suite" for the price of the standard Queen room -- very nice surprise! All in all an extremely pleasant stay, I am glad I'll be back soon.
Giantlonglegs likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 8:47 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Thanks! One more option (and I remember exactly where this ex-MINT hotel is - convenient!)
Old Feb 17, 2012, 1:31 pm

I stayed in this hotel last year as the MINT. I have a trip coming up and am considering it again, but just noticed it changed to Hilton. The hotel is OK but doesn't look to be a good value proposition for Hilton points.

I liked that everything was new and there were computers in the rooms, but the furnishings, linens, mattresses seemed low quality albeit new and fresh.

I agree with the OP that breakfast is fantastic. Easily the best hotel breakfast in Amsterdam.

Service was friendly but not really helpful or attentive. I had paid for breakfast with my booking but everyday they argued with me that I had not. "No, it doesn't look like your booking includes breakfast. Sign here please and 28 euros will be charged to your room." Needless to say, this got a bit annoying after a few days, and wasn't corrected until the 3rd day.

I also found the hotel to be very noisy. The walls are concrete, and I was five floors down from the rooftop bar, but somehow I had a tremendous amount of noise coming into my room every night with footsteps, chairs moving, etc. It must have been something with the ductwork design, but it literally sounded like the rooftop bar was three feet above my bed. Very strange.

It also seemed to me like the hotel and its staff was having a hard time settling in and managing such a large property. I'm sure the recent changeover to Hilton has only added to the confusion. In time this might be a great property, but I think I'm going to avoid it for a few years.

For reference, I booked this hotel last year for 3 nights using only 56,000 (total) Delta miles through the Delta Marketplace. It looks like a standard room would now cost me 105,000 Hilton points for a 3 night stay.

I think my next stay might be at the Hotel Pulitzer for 12,000 SPG per night. It appears to be the best value hotel in AMS that can be booked with a rewards program. If anybody has other suggestions, let me know.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Just had my second stay (mentioned up-thread) in the King Junior Suite. Not much to report beyond what I already mentioned in my report above, except that if I have the choice between a Club Balcony room on the 10th floor (BAR 199 EUR) and the King Junior Suite on the 3rd floor (BAR 249 EUR), I'll choose the Club Balcony every time.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 6:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: United 1K Air Canada Gold Thai Air Gold Delta Platinum Hilton Diamond
Can you tell me which way you walk leaving Central Station to the Hotel.
I will be arriving at night.

thanks
Old Feb 21, 2012, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by firecat69

thanks
Left.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 3:13 am

Originally Posted by firecat69

thanks
It literally is 3-5 minutes walk from the station. At the train station go to the exits for "Centraal". When you walk out of the building turn left, and stay as close to the building as possible (there's trams and all other sorts of obstacles otherwise). At the very end of the building, cross the tram lines (watch out for trams, busses, and bikes!) and you'll see the DoubleTree by Hilton in the near distance looking like a high-rise polygon! You check-in at the far end of the building so just walk along it on the right-hand side, past the lounge and City Cafe, and you'll see the entrance at the end. Enjoy!
Old Feb 22, 2012, 3:26 pm

Programs: SkyMiles PM, Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum
Originally Posted by vertosman
For reference, I booked this hotel last year for 3 nights using only 56,000 (total) Delta miles through the Delta Marketplace. It looks like a standard room would now cost me 105,000 Hilton points for a 3 night stay.
A standard room would now cost you about 82,000 SkyMiles a night. I'm looking at an October booking.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 4:00 pm

Anybody stayed here yet with a reward booking using either Delta or AA miles (I think they use the same booking system). I'm wondering if this property extends elite benefits to those types of bookings? Found a good deal here in August for 56,000 Delta miles total for 3 nights.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 2:50 pm

Has anyone booked a room with HH points recently? I was just researching VIP rates for a 5-night stay, and the only (reasonable) points option is for a twin room for 28k. There are 100k+ options for "premium" rooms, but those are ridiculous. The rate for a standard queen room is the same as the standard twin room, yet it is unbookable with points.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 12:06 am

Programs: AA EXP(.96MM), AMEX Platinum, United Premier Silver, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum 50, Hilton Gold VIP
I stayed at this hotel in Feb and got upgraded to the IJ king master suite w/city view on the top floor w/ sliding doors to balcony overlooking amsterdam city. btw I booked on cash & points

as a hilton diamond (now dropped down to a lowly gold), i was given free breakfast buffet at the City cafe, upgrade to best suite in the hotel, late checkout, free internet, fruit basket & 2 bottles of water (still and mineral) awaiting in the suite. There is no executive lounge in this hotel.

the suite was awesome!! it had a huge plasma tv connected w/ the newest mac mini..

the bedroom also had a iMAC with wireless mouse&keyboard!!

Last edited by jammanxc; Apr 6, 2012 at 12:37 am
Old Apr 6, 2012, 2:15 am

If I was going to open a hotel I'd put Apple products in it because it seems to amaze and bewilder guests beyond belief! There could probably be cockroaches having an orgy on the bed and no-one would notice!
Old Apr 6, 2012, 7:21 am

one bit of advice for future stays - ask for a room facing the city otherwise you will hear trains running all night
Old Apr 6, 2012, 3:49 pm

Love this hotel so much!! My preferred choice in Amsterdam, got 2 more stays coming up again this month. Close to Centraal which is awesome, room service is great, breakfast is superb, skybar is amazing, wifi is fast, white company toiletries are nice, they respect and upgrade diamonds really well, love it. I agree with the other poster that some things appear a little cheap like bed linen/shelving, but because it's brand new, i have no problem, we will see in about 6-7 years how it goes, but now, wow. very very very contemporary design and concretey, etc but it's great, love it! I was always in a quandry with the hilton amsterdam, good hotel, crap location for me and business, so typically i'd NEVER stay there, the Doubletree is on the other end of the spectrum, love it and the best location for me. Haven't checked out the gym yet...
Old Apr 6, 2012, 11:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP(.96MM), AMEX Platinum, United Premier Silver, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum 50, Hilton Gold VIP
Originally Posted by ironmanjay
one bit of advice for future stays - ask for a room facing the city otherwise you will hear trains running all night
my room faced the city & the train station .. i heard trains all night but it didnt bother me

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.