Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hotel Saranac, Curio Collection (US-NY)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2020, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond

This property, which joined the fold in 2018, has been mentioned in the meta threads but I don't see a dedicated one. So here goes (but if i missed it I am sure there will be a pile on as is FT tradition )

Desperate for a change of scenery that would not require quarantine upon return home I spent two nights here between Xmas and New Years, needing two rooms. The paid rates were high reflecting the holidays and ski season, and I was able to get one of the rooms (one king) for 49k points per night instead of $350, which i was pleased with. For the second room i booked a paid rate of $400 for a two queen two room suite. The suites are in a separate building (Compass Point) that is connected to the main building by a two level parking garage, which I knew at booking and was fine with the two rooms being in separate buildings. However upon check in as a Diamond appreciation they proactively upgraded the one king to a suite so we could "be closer together", which was appreciated. It was a 3 minute walk between the buildings, covered but exposed to the outdoor temperature.

We had a very nice dinner in the restaurant one night (Campfire), and drinks at the opulent second floor bar on the second night. Unfortunately the restaurant was not open for breakfast the two mornings we were there (Mon and Tue) so didn't get to see whet the Diamond treatment was. They did have a grab and go set up for all to partake in. I got the sense the restaurant was still ramping up from a Covid driven period of hibernation.

The property is right in the center of the small town, and sits on a hill so visible from everywhere. Many restaurants on Main Street, a special shout out to the Blue Moon cafe were we had a nice hot breakfast one morning. A 10-15 minute drive to Lake Placid and the Olympic sites. It is a well maintained 100 year old property, very charming. The Compass Point suites building is a much newer addition, i would guess last 10 years or so. Fitness center was adequate, and no need to prebook a time. I was the only patron both mornings.

A pleasant stay and would look to return.
SanDiego1K and BLazarus22 like this.

Last edited by pauleeepaul; Dec 30, 2020 at 8:23 am
Old Dec 30, 2020, 5:01 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond; AA Ex Plat; AS MVP 75K
Thanks for this! I honestly thought I had posted something about the hotel in September but surprised to see this is the beginning of the thread.

Wife and I stayed in September also trying to find a place to avoid quarantine while getting out of the city. Turns out late September is the slowest time of the year for the area. The hotel was significantly underbooked and even worse most facilities were closed. No grab and go breakfast, bar only open a few nights a week. In town most places were closed for vacation and those that were open had varying days off. We had no idea about this in advance and while it was a bit disappointing I think we still had plenty to enjoy. Outdoors was great and the leaves had begun to turn. Spent a lot of time in Lake Placid which seemed much busier (and the Hampton Inn there looks nice).

We would absolutely go back perhaps in the summer when more people visit and restrictions are in the past. The hotel was nice - nothing fancy but it maintained a small haunted feeling that it seems to be going for. Rooms adequate but leave a bit to be desired when you come from NYC and want some space. Given what we paid - 114K points for 5 nights it was a great value.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 12:03 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Stayed here twice this year as a Diamond; once in July and another over Christmas/New Year.

Upgrade from base room is to Studio Suite. Anything beyond would be a surcharge.

Base rooms are small and in original building but nicely appointed. Bathroom is tiny (5' x 6') with shower tall being 2.5-3" by 5". Suites are much bigger and are in new building.

Used elite F&B credit both stays at Campfire Grill (menu online and on OpenTable). Food is good but pricey (limited options in this segment Saranac Lake).
Old Nov 23, 2023, 6:33 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Hotel has become more stringent with elite upgrades. As you can read from prior post, they had been above and beyond by upgrading base room into Studios in the new building even last year. It’s now one category upgrade only limited to old building.

They also knocked on door at 11:01AM reminding checkout time of 11. Hotel is low occupancy.

Last edited by seawolf; Nov 23, 2023 at 9:04 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.