Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Egypt {EGY}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Egypt {EGY}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2006, 5:50 pm
Community Director Emerita

Did you drive yourself to the resort? If so, how was it? If not, how did you arrange a driver?

Did you go to St. Catherine's? or the Colored Canyon?
Old Jul 13, 2006, 5:52 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by tigger1
This December I am spending 5 nights at the Hilton Sharm Dreams, 7 nights at the Hilton Luxor and 9 nights at the Coral Hilton Nuweiba (4th visit) so will post a review of these 3 hotels on my return.
tigger1, what did you think of each of these properties?
Old Jul 14, 2006, 6:01 pm

Programs: HH diamond
I’ll give a run down of the hotels we stayed in Dec 2005 and this Easter. I have included some other information about the resorts, apologies if this should go elsewhere.

Hilton Sharm Dreams
A large fairly modern hotel located in the centre of Naama Bay across a main road from the sister hotel, the Fayrouz. We were upgraded to the Vacation Club at the rear of the hotel (bit of a walk up a slope) and given a one bedroom apartment, which bordered a beach like, heated pool with a bar. This was lovely and the apartment had a lounge/kitchenette with fridge, hob, and dining table. My only criticism was that it appeared Hilton had negotiated to put all of one particular tour operators guests with children into these larger apartments, so what could have been tranquillity ended up as a playground of children who's parents though it was ok for their children to wee on the grass and poo in the pool. Some of the 2 and 3 bedroom apartments had full size kitchens and large patio areas. Guests can go over the road and through the Hilton Fayrouz to use the private beach, which is about a 5 minute walk (Guests can not however use the pools or facilities at the Fayrouz). The Hotel itself is vast and spread over a large area with clusters of rooms and lots of pools. A water park has been built at the back of the resort (separate company but I think affiliated with Hilton or the holding company in some way).
The breakfast was the usual Hilton offering and we ate at the Mexican once but I did not rate it very highly. The room service menu was good and not expensive. We did not eat at any of the other restaurants.
The hotel arranged a complimentary transfer to the airport as we were taking an internal flight to Luxor and will arrange a pickup from the airport on request (at an extra charge). I would advise this since negotiating a taxi at the airport is a hassle and very expensive – they will ask for £20 for a trip, which should cost no more than £5.
Naama bay is a very busy resort and has a good array of places to eat/drink. I don’t feel it gives an accurate portrayal of what Egypt is like, more like a mini Las Vegas. Restaurants include Little Buddha, Hard Rock, Chinese, Thai, and Indian. And takeaways such as Pizza Hut, KFC, McDonalds etc. I believe the Thai restaurant at the Hyatt, the Indian restaurant at the camel bar and the Sinai Star (seafood) in Old Sharm are supposed to be excellent.

Hilton Luxor
The rooms at the Hilton Luxor was really very poor - we were upgraded to a club room - I would not have liked to see the standard rooms. There was no lounge (I think Cairo is the only place which has them) there was a fantastic Chinese restaurant on site and the breakfast was extremely good which also catered for the large amounts of Chinese and Japanese guests at the hotel. The hotel is presently closed for renovation – it really needed it! Taxi prices from the hotel were very reasonable and although the Hotel is located in Karnak it was only a short drive into the centre of Luxor. The hotel offers a complimentary shuttle bus but we only used this once since the shopkeepers know exactly where it drops you and are seriously ready to pounce once you get off. I can recommend the Sofitel Old Winter Palace for dinner in the 1886 restaurant, (tie and jacket required) and very reasonably priced. We arrived early and were shown round the Royal Suite and it was lovely to walk round looking at the old photos and letters on the wall from the Howard Carter era. I would recommend anyone looking to do trips to the Valley of the Kings, Queens, balloon trips etc checks out a company called Jolleys Travel which are situated under the Old Winter Palace. They are very reliable with excellent qualified guides and are much cheaper than the large tour operators, which take people by the coach load and don’t give you time to absorb the atmosphere.

Nuweiba
The Coral Hilton is an all-inclusive hotel situated directly on the beach. It has very good reviews and we have stayed here 4 times. The rooms are currently being refurbished. Nuweiba is in the middle of nowhere, great for relaxation. There is a little place called Tarabeen, which is a beach lined with a few shops, camps and places to sit on the beach and have food/drink. It’s by no mean a resort. Nuweiba is a good place to stay if you are interested in visiting Mount Sinai (Moses Mountain) or St Catherines Monestary. I know a guide who has a tour company who runs tours to both of these places for anyone interested in doing these individually rather than on mass. I can recommend the Swisscare Nuweiba Hotel http://www.swisscare-hotels.com/ as well as the Hilton in Nuweiba as places to stay.

Hilton Fayrouz
We stayed at the Fayrouz this Easter. This is a better hotel in my opinion based on location and ease of getting round the hotel. The rooms are more dated than the Dreams hotel but it is a stones throw from the beach and promenade and there are lots of pools dotted around so it never seemed too busy - even though the hotel was full. We were informed in advance we would be upgraded to a junior suite but this didn't materialise, probably due to the hotel being full. We were given a deluxe room facing onto the beach, which was very comfortable. The bathroom was a bit dated but clean and in working order. There are lots of restaurants and bars nearby and every hotel sells Movenpick icecream, they make the cones fresh which smells lovely (I managed to get double hh points on these by charging them to the room, which I thought was funny considering the next hotel down the road was the Movenpick)

4* or 5* in Egypt is usually very different to what you might expect elsewhere but service and surroundings are usually second to none. We are next due to go in September, staying in Nuweiba for 10 nights and then Sharm for 4 nights. The weather at the beginning of December was mid 30’s, cooling off towards the end of December but still hot enough to sunbathe. Easter this year was 38-40 degrees, I have relatives who have travelled back tonight – it was mid 40’s which literally melts your shoes. I think December was the right time to do the sight seeing tours in Luxor, any other time it would be far too hot.
If anyone would like any further information please let me know, we did also spend a few days in Cairo but didn’t stay at any of the Hilton hotels so can’t comment on those.
Old Jul 20, 2006, 5:00 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I've not dived with them, but Camel DIve seems to have a decent rep as well.

Any recent stays in Sharm? Hurghada? (Still fairly safe IMO, but nothing is 100 guaranteed...)

Hurghada is where you want to stay if you want the less traveled (and less crowded) southern Red Sea dive sites, of course.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 8:01 pm

FWIK, Long Beach is ONLY All Inclusive, so starting from around $110/night but is relatively far away from the centre. Resort can be had from $25/night on Winter Memories package til 27th February. Plaza is most expensive with cheapest rates exceeding $100 mark which is outrageous in Hurghada but if quality is what matters then...
Old Oct 19, 2007, 3:23 pm
Suspended

Question Hilton Hurghada Resort

I am offered by the hotel:
- Shuttle Bus Airport-Hotel for 20 EUR
- Internet one week 110 USD plus 12 % taxes

I think such prices are a rip-off, aren't they?

Then, there is also:
- Upgrade to all inclusive: 20 EUR per day

AI = The all-inclusive package includes lunch and dinner at the main buffet restaurant, snacks twice a day at the main pool, mineral water, soft drinks, coffee and tea and local beer, wine and spirits all served by glass at our main restaurant and at a variety of bars, several sports activities one hour a day. The supplement is to be paid directly at the reception upon arrival cash or with credit card.

20 EUR per day is also not really cheap in my opinion but might be worth the money. Any advice on the ipgrade for the all inclusive? Is this worth the 20 EUR per day?

Originally Posted by fokker50

Hilton Resort
Rate: 65 USD including tax
Property has more central location. I was not upgraded (I did not ask for upgrade) and received standard room, but it felt quite nice and modern however. And it had sea-view and - most importantly - it was clean.
Positive: Very friendly check-in. Different treats (plate of chocolate, plate of cookies and HUGE amount of different fruits - grapes, bananas, apples, oranges and apricots - were delivered to my room. Hotel has a policy that tea or coffee making facilities will cost 20 Egyptian pounds (about 4 USD) per day, but I received a call from guest relations soon after and was told that charge will be waived for me. They also asked - and purely on their own initiative - whether I would like to have a late check-out. I did.
There is nice cafe in the lobby serving quite innovative drinks (example: espresso shaken over ice with natural yogurt). Breakfast was good and consisted also some Egyptian dishes (I tried baked beans (foul medames) with salt, chopped onions, tomato's, olive oil and myriad of unknown spices, which was nice). Beach (clearly man-made) was spectacular, but had ominous warning signs according to which hotel accepts no responsibility for death of swimmers, as "sea contains wild fauna (marine wish)". I saw only flock of small fishes just few meters from the shore and was very fond of them.
Negative: This hotel has clearly overactive workers. During 24 hour stay they called to me (or knocked to my door) about 10 times in order to perform "mini-bar check" or to simply find out whether everything is OK. They probably meant good, but I was tired eventually and just wanted to have some peace and quiet. Beach was tiny and crowded (lagoon is shared with other hotel and Hilton has smaller share). There was also small-scale renovation going on and some young locals were removing old color from the hotel wall, while standing on the balcony hand-rails without any lifebelts - it was quite alarming sight.
Internet in the hotel lobby was very expensive - 5 EUR for 30 minutes, while in internet cafes the rate is about 68 US sents for 1 hour.
Would I return to this property? Probably yes.
Old May 17, 2008, 10:23 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Any recent experiences in the Hurghada properties- am leaning towards the Plaza given what has been posted previously.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 7:30 am

Egypt? Or a better idea??

We've used our HH points for some fabulous vacations. The Cavalieri in Rome, Sorrento Hilton, Berlin, London Metropole, Hawaii (twice), Buenos Aires, Cabo, just to name a few.
I've searched and read so many posts about FTers' favorite Hiltons. I wish we could go to Maldives. That seems like the number one favorite!! But the flight makes it out of the question.
What's to be said for the Hiltons in Egypt? Cairo to Luxor?? We've got some points to burn. We like vacations where there is interesting culture along with a relaxing time. We're not beach people.
Any other suggestions are very welcome.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 3:15 pm

Programs: IC Platinum Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
I have stayed at the Conrad in Cairo and was very impressed. High Floor on the Executive Level with Lounge Access. Nice location on the Nile. It was a wonderful trip--we had an incredible guide in Cairo and Luxor, pm me if you would like contact information for her.

Luxor is an amazing place as well--The Hilton was being refurbished while we were there so we went with the Starwood option. I have seen good comments on here about the Hilton Luxor...
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...ip-report.html

sdcarver
Old Nov 12, 2009, 3:27 pm

We thoroughly enjoyed our week in Athens at the Hilton last summer. There is much local culture and day trips to nearby interesting sights (Delophi, Peloponnese, and an island) were very easy to do. The hotel is quite nice with a great indoor and outdoor pool area and the executive lounge was also very nice for breakfast and snacks throughout the day. There is a great view of the Acropolis from the hotel. Public transportation options are very convenient from the Hilton (bus and Metro) just outside the door.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 3:45 pm

We thoroughly enjoyed our week in Athens at the Hilton last summer. There is plenty of local culture around and day trips to Delphi, the Peloponnese, and nearby Greek island are easy to arrange. The hotel has very convenient access to public transportation. The view over the city to the Acropolis is amazing. The hotel itself is very nice with a great indoor and outdoor pool area, nice restaurants, and wonderfulexecutive lounge.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
We had a great stay not long back at the Conrad Hong Kong--a fantastic hotel and a fantastic city. As an HH Gold I was upgraded to the executive club level with access to the lounge, its great harbor views, and free breakfast and happy hour drinks. We were in Hong Kong for four days, but easily could have been there longer. Contrary to our ill-informed preconceptions, there is much more to the city than skyscrapers, crowds and great food. The territory is the size of Rhode Island, which means islands to hike on, great harbor rides, lovely parks, etc. Best to go during the winter, when weather is usually pleasant and dry. We were there for four days, but gladly would have tacked on another day or two. If that in and of itself isn't enough for the vacation time you have, then from there you can go on to spend additional time in China or SE Asia.

Prague is another great city. The Hilton Old Town (where we stayed) is not bad but nothing special, except for the nice location on the very edge of the old part of the city. The other Hilton gets better reviews, but the location is not quite as good.

I can't comment on the Hiltons in Paris or Vienna, but if you're looking for romantic (and culturally interesting) cities those two can't be beat.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 11:58 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: TK Gold, M&M FTL, QR Gold, HH Diamond, PCR Platinum
Prices for Hilton hotels in Egypt - Outrageous or simply wrong dates?

I have 125k HH points and I plan to use most of them before 15-Jan for a holiday in February-March-April with my wife. Priority #1 is to use points, but on propreties where it makes sense.

Europe is not so attractive that time of year and hotels tend to ask for many points/night, so immediatley attention was drawn to Egypt hotels. While reading on FT there seem to be plenty messages that Hilton rooms tend to go for under 100$/night, but in March-April I was only able to find rooms priced at 200+$/night. In this case I know it's good to use points (20k HH points/night), but if I look at other chain hotels (Radisson, Sofitel) they have rooms under 100$ for the same period.

- So, why are Hiltons so expensive there, compared to other chains?
- Am I just selecting wrong dates? If yes, do you know of a period when they will offer better prices?
- Would you suggest better use of 125k HH points, for a stay of 4-6 nights?
Old May 15, 2010, 3:45 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Any updates on the Hurghada properties? I'm going to do a status match with either hilton or hyatt and not sure which one would be good and which property in Hurghada is nice.

Since now its
Hilton Hurghada Resort
Hilton Hurghada Plaza hotel
Hilton Hurghada Long Beach Resort
Old May 17, 2010, 3:01 am

Programs: BA Gold,VS Gold,Hilton Diamond
Egypt hotels (T.R)

Hi all, here are my thoughts on my recent trip to egypt, myself,wife & 2 kids
CONRAD CAIRO,
Excellent welome as diamond upgraded to 3 room suite with views over nile.Amenity welcome gift ,fruits & dates,water every day.
Check in & check out personally by front desk manager.
VERDICT. Good hotel ,excellent sevice
HILTON SHARKS BAY
Excellent welcome upgraded to 2 room /2 bath suite
Amenity welcome gift fizzy drinks & water every day
Check in /out personally by front desk manager & 2 assistants!
HILTON EL SHEIKH FAYROUZ
No welcome as diamond,very small rooms was upgraded after complaining to a suite which was the smallest suite i have ever seen.Location of hotel a winner right on beach but the roomns let it down
Again excellent sevice.
As with all the above rooms were all booked as no smoking but all smelt as if had been smoked in at some stage! i think this is the norm in egypt.
Any questions PM me
Dan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.