Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Starwood ups ante in loyalty game--Why stick with Hilton?

Starwood ups ante in loyalty game--Why stick with Hilton?

Old Feb 2, 2012, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Notenut
If, as a SPG Plat, I would get the 500 points PLUS the breakfast, that would be a significant basis for choosing it over Hilton. But since you have to give up the points just to get a continental breakfast, it isn't very attractive to me, considering Hilton gives Diamonds a 50% bonus on points, double dip airline miles, and a breakfast. The only reason to consider SPG for me was the greater likelihood of getting suite upgrades. And although it's still too early to know how suite upgrades will play out for Hilton Diamonds, that has given me what had been lacking, so I'm pretty much staying with Hilton. Plus, as others have said, there's a Hilton family hotel practically everywhere I go.
Indeed and for those SPG Plats who do not hit 50 nights Suite upgrades are likely to be rare events moving forward. I would expect Hilton to come out of this rather well in comparison. For those of us in the UK Hilton offers the only national chain of reasonable quality properties, so if you need to travel in the UK you cannot only maintain SPG membership you need HH as well.

HH Diamond is still the only hotel programme I am aware of which offers a spend route to status and this works very well for me. I prefer Starwood properties on the whole but HH Diamond is looking a lot more attractive to me moving forward than SPG Plat.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 4:21 am

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CL63
For Munich, thats no true. There is Hilton Mnchen City, which is one of the worst Hilton's i've ever seen,... and Hilton Mnchen Park, which is being refurbished right now, in a very bad location and which is definitely more expensive than most of the 7 Starwood properties in Munich.
In Munich you wanna stay in the city center. If collecting points is important for you, you should go with the Le Meridien,... if you wanna stay in one of Europe's best hotels, you should go for the Rocco Forte Charles Hotel (of course more expensive, but worth it!!!).
I just did a dummy booking for March 2-5. The Hilton Munich City is 110 Euros night (pre-paid). The lowest rate at Le Meridien is 179 Euros (pre-paid). Therefore, you pay a premium of 69 euros per night to stay at the "fancy" *wood property. For 69 Euros, I can have a nice dinner for two in Munich. Also, the reviews for the Hilton aren't that bad according to Tripadvisor.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 5:24 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb LTT, HHonors Diamond, AA ExPlat, United Silver
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
Indeed and for those SPG Plats who do not hit 50 nights Suite upgrades are likely to be rare events moving forward. I would expect Hilton to come out of this rather well in comparison. For those of us in the UK Hilton offers the only national chain of reasonable quality properties, so if you need to travel in the UK you cannot only maintain SPG membership you need HH as well.

HH Diamond is still the only hotel programme I am aware of which offers a spend route to status and this works very well for me. I prefer Starwood properties on the whole but HH Diamond is looking a lot more attractive to me moving forward than SPG Plat.
HH has more properties in more places in the US than SPG, many being Hamptons.
Cannot comment on the UK, but SPG is a much more attractive option in the US, particularly after the new roll-out. I believe that if HH does not do something major, they will lose a lot of future business from FT to SPG. Congrats SPG for raising the bar. I do applaud HH for their all benefits for Diamonds, but they now need to go further.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 5:26 am

Programs: hh diamond,Qantas club life,AA EX-explat.SPG plat.
Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
I just did a dummy booking for March 2-5. The Hilton Munich City is 110 Euros night (pre-paid). The lowest rate at Le Meridien is 179 Euros (pre-paid). Therefore, you pay a premium of 69 euros per night to stay at the "fancy" *wood property. For 69 Euros, I can have a nice dinner for two in Munich. Also, the reviews for the Hilton aren't that bad according to Tripadvisor.
And when we stayed in Budapest Le Meridien was cheaper than the 2 Hiltons.Just did a dummy booking for March and still the case by 30 and 40 Euros.And you get an even better meal in Budapest for that.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by drron
And when we stayed in Budapest Le Meridien was cheaper than the 2 Hiltons.Just did a dummy booking for March and still the case by 30 and 40 Euros.And you get an even better meal in Budapest for that.
Fair enough. But I still thinks Hilton Family properties are cheaper than *wood properties as a general rule.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 5:57 am

Programs: KiwiCollection VIP, A|Club Plat, HH Gold
lol,... trusting tripadvisor on hotelreviews is like trusting the devil on religion.

I am a Munich local. Just telling you the Hilton City Center is a disgusting place,... anyways, hope you still have a good time in Germany. Try the "Hofbruhaus" for traditional German Food and Drinks
Old Feb 2, 2012, 5:58 am

lol,... trusting tripadvisor on hotelreviews is like trusting the devil on religion.

I am a Munich local. Just telling you the Hilton City Center is a disgusting place,... anyways, hope you still have a good time in Germany. Try the "Hofbruhaus" for traditional German Food and Drinks
Old Feb 2, 2012, 5:59 am

Now, you got me thinking about changing my reservation. . .
Old Feb 2, 2012, 7:42 am

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
Don't. There is nothing "disgusting" about the Hilton Munich City. Look at the relevant thread here on FT. I've stayed there several times. It's fine.

And I would check out Augustiner-Bru Mnchen:

http://www.augustiner-braeu.de/enverabfrage.html
Old Feb 2, 2012, 7:44 am

Programs: SPG Plat, DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Avis First, National EE, Marriott Gold
I'm really torn with this - I love HHonors because of the location of properties i.e. if I have a family member getting married in BFE (not an airport code ) I am almost always guaranteed at least a HI to stay in. With *wood, you're limited to cities. My current work travel pattern is in mostly rural areas where a HI within 10 miles is a rarity, so *wood is non-existant. However, for using points, and the quality of properties, my overall experience is that *wood is the better. YMMV, but for me those are my experiences. I will definitely be making an active effort to requal for *wood plat this year in light of this, but will likely also make HHonors Diamond because of the travel pattern.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 8:53 am

Programs: KiwiCollection VIP, A|Club Plat, HH Gold
Didnt you say you booked (not changeble) pre-paid rate?

As for the Thread on the Hilton Munich CITY, my experiences are totally different and a lot more recent. Also, from the description of some people I think they stayed at the Hilton Munich PARK, which is a lot nicer property, just a bit far away from the center.

Lots of rooms in the Hilton Munich CITY smell like ash-trays and/or sweat,... especially the chairs and couches, which also had lots of stains on them. Talking about stains, dont even get me started on the carpet,... and most important, DO NOT MOVE THE FURNITURE... you might be surprised what the carpet used to look like. The furniture itself is cheap and old. Overall the place needs serious refurbishments.

If you can cancel the reservation my advice would be to do so. If you dont like the Le Meridien, the "Sofitel Munich Bayerpost" is also very nice and central and should be a bit cheaper than LeMeridien. As said before, if you wanna experience something outstanding, spend a night at the Rocco Forte Charles Hotel,... one of Europes best hotels and one of the best Spas i've ever seen in my life. Costs around 250-300 EUR / night, but totally worth it,... the cosmetics/toiletries in your bathroom already have a value of around 60 EUR ("REN cosmetics" products).
Old Feb 2, 2012, 9:13 am

Programs: US Airways, Hilton, Marriott
I agree with earlier posts. Location and costs are better for me with Hilton brands.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 9:13 am
Suspended

As a local I assume you have never stayed there? I like the Munch City Hilton, stay there 2-3 times a year. Nice rooms, good staff, excellent breakfast
Old Feb 2, 2012, 9:16 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Chapel Hill Guy
Don't. There is nothing "disgusting" about the Hilton Munich City. Look at the relevant thread here on FT. I've stayed there several times. It's fine.

And I would check out Augustiner-Bru Mnchen:

http://www.augustiner-braeu.de/enverabfrage.html
That would be our experience as well on several stays. We've also stayed at the Park property, perhaps a little more out of the way but pleasant too.

And we've enjoyed both the Augustiner-Bru Mnchen and the Hofbruhaus. ^
Old Feb 2, 2012, 9:19 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
All these SPG changes announced yesterday and Hilton hasn't added anything to the HHonors program for a week, come on Hilton, do something already!!! What have you done for us this week?!?

I personally have always thought SPG was over-rated, I just don't get it and why so many on Flyertalk love the program. The changes yesterday did little to change my mind on that. Some of them I find comical in their complexity or implementation.

Suite upgrades -> Great benefit, love the idea of suite upgrades ... but they're confirmed no earlier than five days before check-in. When I'm planning my big vacations I really want to confirm things like suite upgrades more than five days in advance (e.g., Hyatt suite upgrades).

Breakfast for Plats -> Plats have the option of free breakfast in place of their amenity points. A week earlier Hilton announced they were going in exactly the opposite direction giving Diamonds both bonus points and breakfast instead of having to choose. I almost find it comical that one week Hilton announces Diamonds get both, the next week SPG announces that their Plats will at least get to choose between the two.

Of course, Hilton still has the advantage of so many properties ... even if you exclude Hamptons I believe that advantage is still pretty distinct (not that there's anything wrong with Hamptons in my opinion, most Four Points are no better than Hamptons in my experience).

Finally, I hate to continue this off-topic point, but I stayed at the Hilton Munich City Center about a year ago, and there was nothing disgusting about it, typical European sized room and amenities, location convenient to public transportation, and a nice lounge.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.