Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

2012 Diamond suite upgrade failure thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2012 Diamond suite upgrade failure thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2012, 1:31 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by mnredfox
True, but I think in general hotels should give suites to Diamonds rather than be empty for the night.
I agree in principle too, but much of the debate isn't about that, more that people are considering no suite as a failure and then complaining on FT or at the property itself.

The reality is that unlike SPG where a property should be upgrading to a standard suite if available, there is no such mandate within the revised HHonors Diamond benefit. Now add me to the chorus of people who would like suites to be allocated to us if available, but unless the policy changes further, nobody should expect them, sold or unsold.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 10:02 pm

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by RAPC
I agree in principle too, but much of the debate isn't about that, more that people are considering no suite as a failure and then complaining on FT or at the property itself.

The reality is that unlike SPG where a property should be upgrading to a standard suite if available, there is no such mandate within the revised HHonors Diamond benefit. Now add me to the chorus of people who would like suites to be allocated to us if available, but unless the policy changes further, nobody should expect them, sold or unsold.
Agreed, but the wording is so ambiguous as to be worthless. Before the announcement, many people were already, occasionally upgraded to suites. If anything, the new wording can justify strictly sticking to one-level upgrades, which may be a downgrade from previous UG policy (apologies for the tongue twister!).

IMO, this fanfare was nothing but marketing bluster to try and distract from the premium rooms issue. HH rightly felt many were about to abandon ship -- they made a big announcement with much fanfare, and if the palpable excitement on this board was anything to go by -- they achieved their goal. All without promising anything other than 1000 pts/stay.

tb
Old Feb 22, 2012, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
I agree this is wrong, but it also annoys me and makes me want to complain when I'm told suites are all sold out or allocated when I can go online and book one...
Old Feb 22, 2012, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The way it was communicated across multiple travel blogs and media (inclusing here on FT where numerous posters clearly misinterpreted this) suggested and change in upgrade policy. Quite a few people came out to defend hilton and cited this change as and improvement.

I started the thread not to complain but to gather facts on where there is any change happening.

The reality is nothing really changed on the upgrade front but this is all serving as a cover up for the real scam - "premium redemption" that essentially reintroduced uncontrolled award capacity restrictions, eliminated elite benefits of diamond force, glon etc turning the program into some sort of wild wild west where we have no idea what the value of point is and where they can be redeemed.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 5:11 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by azepine00

I started the thread not to complain but to gather facts on where there is any change happening.
First of all, I appreciate you starting this thread and the sentiment behind it. Pooling together hotels gaming the system or refusing reasonable upgrades is definitely a good thing. However, with the title of the thread specifically including 'suite upgrade failure' rather than 'upgrade failure', it has inadvertently sent some people off to complain about not getting a suite when they are not necessarily part of the upgrade pool at all.

The reality is nothing really changed on the upgrade front but this is all serving as a cover up for the real scam - "premium redemption" that essentially reintroduced uncontrolled award capacity restrictions, eliminated elite benefits of diamond force, glon etc turning the program into some sort of wild wild west where we have no idea what the value of point is and where they can be redeemed.
I disagree with you here. Personally I have noticed a marked increase in Diamond recognition and the standard of upgrades received since the change in policy. In my last 4 stays I have received 3 full suites and 1 stay with no upgrade, but with a few extra free Diamond gifts to make up for the lack of upgrade. Now obviously this is only a snapshot of 4 stays, so the rest of my year may not be as positive, but so far so good and I'm showing another suite for my next stay tomorrow. Some others on FT also appear to be seeing a marked improvement in upgrades too, so there do seem to be some genuine enhancements here at some properties.

As for the Diamond Force issue, I thought this was recently resolved? I was certainly able to get an award stay booked at a standard rate yesterday at a UK hotel for later this year when only premium rooms were available. The agent pointed out this was the policy for diamond members now. Or am I mistaking something here, which is possible as I haven't used the Diamond Force except for a revenue room in the past.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
I agree, but admit have no practical experience recently as the prem room scam and loss of DSA drove me away from Hilton. Stays with Hilton this year = 0.

But by the T&C, nothing has changed. In fact, I feel hotels are simply now more justified and empowered to give you the faux UG of high floor or "better view".
Old Feb 23, 2012, 3:00 am
Suspended

Programs: Hertz Gold / Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Plat / Marriott Gold / IC RA / SPG Plat
i must have spoken to at least half a dozen Hilton's since the new policy came into effect. As a direct result of the new policy, every Hilton verbally agreed to upgrade me to suites if they have any available on check in.

It seems that most properties are viewing this policy change as an increase in benefits for diamonds and not a way to dilute upgrades as others may have feared.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 8:20 am

As for the Diamond Force issue, I thought this was recently resolved? I was certainly able to get an award stay booked at a standard rate yesterday at a UK hotel for later this year when only premium rooms were available. The agent pointed out this was the policy for diamond members now. Or am I mistaking something here, which is possible as I haven't used the Diamond Force except for a revenue room in the past.
If this is true, it would be great news. But I think you are talking about paid room vs reward room? I would rather have Diamond Force on reward stay back then to be upgraded to a suite. When I was trying back in Nov last year, Diamond desk would not even attempt to try to do it. Only 3 of the 9 nights I wanted to book were out of standard room and they won't do anything because premium rooms were available for 90k+ point.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 3:30 am

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
Conrad HKG

Booked cheapest available Peak View room for the weekend, got Harbor View Executive Level basically as per usual.

Even made it a point to ask about a suite upgrade but was politely told "I'll see what I can do."
Old Feb 25, 2012, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Upgraded at Hilton Madrid Airport from guest room to executive room this weekend. Suites were being pushed to me as a guaranteed upgrade for points on the manage booking page.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 11:54 am

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
Doubletree Bedford, MA

This hotel is constantly sold out. Was there this past week as my 5th 2 night stay this year. Upgraded from basic room to a junior suite. 2 TVs, sitting area, perfectly fit my needs.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 3:18 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, Hilton Diamond
0/4 on suite offers in 2012

I've been a diamond for 3 years and out of perhaps 150 stays the only suites I can recall from the brands that are not all-suite are a couple of times at Hamptons.

Last week stayed at Hilton Athens for 4 nights and received regular room on Acropolis side with EL access. Last night at Hilton Rome Airport upgraded to Exec floor, standard room.

So far underwhelmed but still hoping.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 8:59 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Goonerfish
i must have spoken to at least half a dozen Hilton's since the new policy came into effect. As a direct result of the new policy, every Hilton verbally agreed to upgrade me to suites if they have any available on check in.
Very happy for you but we must be talking to different Hilton's. Two stays so far in Houston this year, not an upgrade to be found. Guess the property was just booked full during those stays.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 2:51 am

Programs: Onetime bmi * Gold lifetime membership, BA Gold, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by payam81
Conrad HKG

Booked cheapest available Peak View room for the weekend, got Harbor View Executive Level basically as per usual.

Even made it a point to ask about a suite upgrade but was politely told "I'll see what I can do."
The same for me although I had to argue for an Executive Room - in the past I've always been upgraded. They had at least 4 Exec and Suites available.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 9:55 am
AHN

Programs: SK EBG
Originally Posted by Goonerfish

It seems that most properties are viewing this policy change as an increase in benefits for diamonds and not a way to dilute upgrades as others may have feared.
The duty manager of Hilton Izmir told me that Diamonds would only get suites if they ran out of Executive rooms.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.