Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Phoenix {US-AZ}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Phoenix {US-AZ}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2005, 11:53 am
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by JIMBOLIGUY
I have stayed there several times. The hotel is close to the airport (about a 10 minute ride depending on the terminal in which you arrive). I have used the shuttle and it has arrived within 15 minutes of calling.

The check-in is usually fast and efficient. As a Diamond, the ammenity is always waiting in my room (usually a bag with 2 bottles of water, popcorn, some candy, and a magazine or two). Chocolate Chip cookie on check-in. Rooms are 2-room suites. I would say that they have been updated in the past 5 years. All rooms (as far as I can tell) have HSIA but the charge is $10/day.

Breakfast is complementary and very good. Cereal, fruit, scrambled eggs, breakfast meats, potatoes, hot cereal, toast, muffins, coffee, juice. Room service is okay - a bit pricey (but what room service isn't) and food usually comes warm (not hot).

They have an outdoor pool (very big), a business center (to which you can print from your room), a gift shop and I think an exercise room - but I cant be sure on that as I have never used it.

Staff is friendly.

Need any other details?
Thanks for the input. You've covered it well, JIMBOLIGUY. Sounds like it will do just fine for one night, and free breakfast is an added plus. Thanks again.
Old Mar 28, 2007, 9:24 pm

Programs: US Airways,Hilton HHonors, Marriott, National
Originally Posted by MileKing
Thanks for the input. You've covered it well, JIMBOLIGUY. Sounds like it will do just fine for one night, and free breakfast is an added plus. Thanks again.
I am curious if anyone else found the staff lacking? I have stayed here several times and noticed that they almost treat Elite's with disdain? I have stayed at some Marriott's recently and the service at this hotel vs most Marriott's is like night and day. To be fair, I have stayed at some Hilton properties that although slightly lacking, the great customer service made up for it.

I would say this is a good hotel if you are not an elite member, since it really doesn't make a difference. If you want a clean room, decent bed, and free breakfast, it is good deal. But if you expect to be able to see some great customer service, it is not this property. The one thing to note, the neighborhood is bordering a very industrial area near the airport, so it is not a real "vacation" zone.. not a problem for most.

Also, this Doubletree has outside hallways, no inside hallways. It is ok most of the time, but can quite hot and/or windy (or wet) some times of the year. Be warned.

(I did really like the Scottsdale Hilton, the Hilton Garden Inn in Scottdale, and Tapitio Pointe Hilton... they are some nice Phoenix area properties)
Old Mar 29, 2007, 7:23 am

I stayed at this property in Nov. 06 and found the front desk people very helpful and friendly. Other customers were at the desk while I checked in getting very helpful advice from a different clerk.

As Diamond I was upgraded to the top floor and given a code for free internet access. I also got the 1000 points that I had chosen as my preference. I was sent up to my room with a full bag of goodies including two waters, chips, candy and cookies. Everyone received a full buffet breakfast that was very good.

Excellent property.
Old Mar 29, 2007, 1:47 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I stayed here for 1 night in late Nov (the Friday over Thanksgiving weekend) since I was just 1 stay away from gold status.

I was a silver at the time. The check-in was ok, they handed me a welcome bag with 2 bottles of water, gave me a king suite, and of course the warm cookies. The room was definitely smaller than the 2-queen suites that are on the ends (not sure if every floor has them on the end or not). The property is an easy 5-10 minute walk to the Chinese Cultural Center, where you have the best Chinese food in Phoenix (get a table near the windows close to the water). There is a small workout room, similar to most HI's I've been to, a regular room with a tread mill and bike thrown in, and I think some dumbells. The pool did look very nice, would have been better if they made it kid-free (way too many kids for me). The room was pretty soundproof, as I hardly heard a thing once the front door was closed. Breakfast was one of the best 'free' breakfasts I've had.

The property is older, but seems like it has been well-maintained over the years. There was plenty of free parking, and I did see the airport shuttle several times. We went to zoo lights in the evening, a quick 5-10 minute drive away.

The area the property is in isn't quite the best...but there are far worse places to stay, and Phoenix has cleaned up Van Buren considerably over the past 5-10 years. Just don't go out walking on Van Buren at 2-3 AM, unless you are looking for company (the kind you pay for), and you'll be fine. I'd imagine that the city will continue to improve the area in the next 1-2 years, as the 44th St/Washington Light Rail stop will be just a block away.

My office is about 1-2 miles away from this property, and my company regularly uses it for out of town guests. It is mostly a business property, and they are full many times M-Th nights (we've had to send guests to a HI or other properties), even in summer. Many times, our corporate rate is actually higher than what I can find on my own.
Old Apr 4, 2007, 3:51 pm

Programs: US Airways,Hilton HHonors, Marriott, National
I am just not impressed with that area (lots of construction, industrial area). It is an area where you can see people walking down the street pushing shopping carts.

The rooms are all outdoor entrance. I do prefer interior hallways. The pool has zero privacy. I remember walking to the elevator and catching some couple going at it in the hot tub.

I have never been impressed by the service. I would recommend the marriott Airport, Marriott Buttes, the Sheraton Airport all over this hotel. I just do not like the area or the service too much.

Originally Posted by aztimm

The area the property is in isn't quite the best...but there are far worse places to stay, and Phoenix has cleaned up Van Buren considerably over the past 5-10 years. Just don't go out walking on Van Buren at 2-3 AM, unless you are looking for company (the kind you pay for), and you'll be fine. I'd imagine that the city will continue to improve the area in the next 1-2 years, as the 44th St/Washington Light Rail stop will be just a block away.

My office is about 1-2 miles away from this property, and my company regularly uses it for out of town guests. It is mostly a business property, and they are full many times M-Th nights (we've had to send guests to a HI or other properties), even in summer. Many times, our corporate rate is actually higher than what I can find on my own.
Old Apr 4, 2007, 6:37 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by LAX1K to AmWest
I am just not impressed with that area (lots of construction, industrial area). It is an area where you can see people walking down the street pushing shopping carts.

The rooms are all outdoor entrance. I do prefer interior hallways. The pool has zero privacy. I remember walking to the elevator and catching some couple going at it in the hot tub.

I have never been impressed by the service. I would recommend the marriott Airport, Marriott Buttes, the Sheraton Airport all over this hotel. I just do not like the area or the service too much.
You're right on. There are a ton of Hilton family properties in the Phoenix area, and unless you have to be in this area, I'd stay at one of the others. I've seen rates at the AZ Biltmore that weren't far off from this DT even (on specific dates). If you have to be in the area, this is OK for a night, but I think I'd stay at the PHX Airport Hilton if I had to be in that part of town more than 1 night (avoid the ES that is near 44th St/Thomas).

What do you think is the best Hilton family property in the area, at a reasonable price? I'm thinking of doing a night out after the AZ smoking ban starts next month and will stay somewhere between Central PHX and Old Town Scottsdale (and use a taxi).
Old Mar 15, 2015, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA, AS, TZ, UA, Clipper, EZ-Link, Hop, Navigo, Octopus, Oyster
Third time with the same problem. First, oh well. Second, not good. Third time, unacceptable.

Sitting here in the lobby with 14 different guests.

"Our computers are down and we cannot check anyone in."

"We cannot create keys. No one is allowed in."

"We have no estimated time when then this will be fixed."

"If you want to make other arrangements please do so."

140 minutes and counting.

GRRRRRR.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 8:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Staying here now...short biz trip at an office very near the airport.

Overall, my opinion of this hotel is "flavorless". It's a bland airport Doubletree that I will have completely forgotten about one week from now. There has been nothing wrong with my stay; the staff have been pleasant.

The facility kind of has a 1970's look to it but appears to be in good repair. The original architect probably spent most of his time designing prisons, not hotels.

Sounds like the rooms were redone in 2003 or so (according to this thread)...looking around my room, that seems about right. The suite is a standard Embassy-type layout. I OLCI'ed to a standard King suite, and then the hotel changed my room number, but they did not upgrade me to anything beyond my regular room type. With all of the rooms being suites, I'm not sure what upgrades they have to give. Maybe there's a 2-bedroom suite somewhere...I don't know.

Golds/Diamonds get a goodie bag with bottled water and some candy bars. They also gave me 2 drink chits for the bar.

Breakfast is included for every guest: I'd call it about on par with an average Embassy Suites. Not bad, not great. The bacon is undercooked.

Parking is free. I had no difficulty parking near the front lobby, although I don't believe the hotel is full.

The Wifi functions well. No problems there.

The surrounding area isn't exactly picturesque, but it doesn't appear to be unsafe either. One direction has an office park vibe. The other is the airport. I did *not* go walking up and down Van Buren at 3AM looking for ladies.

This hotel sort of reinforces my opinion about the Doubletree brand in general: it seems like there are a lot of DTs in this world that would not cut it as any other mainline business hotel brand. Hard to imagine this place reflagging to a Marriott, Sheraton, Hyatt, or even regular Hilton in its current state. It just wouldn't make the cut...

Doubt I'll come back, except when everything else is sold out. Even if I just want a slightly-less-bland airport hotel.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 5:12 pm

Programs: A3 *G, HH Diamond
Would anyone happen to have an email contact at this property, didn´t find any address for reservations/front desk? Thanks
Old Apr 10, 2018, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Just stayed in both DoubleTree and GadenInn nearby on the same street.
Both hotels are a very short walk to light rail with the DT being a little bit closer.
I have showed up in the morning (around 9 am) and was told that no rooms are available.
So I left my carryon and headed to downtown on light rail. When I came back at 10:30 pm
my room was obviously ready. I was also given a free drink coupon at the bar.
It is an older property but rooms are two-room suites. I haven't notice any aircraft noise while
I did hear planes taking off when staying in GardenInn. I believe breakfast was included with every stay
and was a hot buffet. Nothing special and very similar to what is served in lounges at PHX Hilton or
Sheraton Grand downtown.
Overall, this hotel is nothing special but nothing bad at all. If given a choice, I would
stay at DB vs. Garden Inn simply because rooms are bigger. PHX Hilton has a lounge while DB does not.
A quick walk to light rail from DT is a plus if traveling without car.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Pretty much my experience over last weekend. It's DT Suites "brand standard" similar to the DT Suites in SeaTac near Southcenter- foldout couch makes it handy for two (which was the case), two rooms, sink and fridge in main room. The bar had decent beer on tap. My shower/bathtub was old and a bit fussy at producing hot water, but it showed up eventually (I wish more hotels were redoing their combos for modern walk in showers, I do not want to take a bath in a tub that's maybe 2.5 feet deep.) Wifi was fine. Walked to and from light rail. Room was in OK condition aside from the shower fussiness. Pool is fine.

All told, for a $120-all in weekend rate on a busy weekend in Phoenix due to an EDM concert, it was solid if nothing fancy.
aztimm likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 9:42 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist
Anyone stayed since they renovated the rooms? Looks alright and better than when I stayed pre renovation. We're only in town for a day to catch a hockey game in Glendale then flying out the next morning so we aren't super picky. We love the Biltmore but it's hard to justify paying $160++ vs. $75 in the winter when we won't be in the room as much as usual.

Last edited by sfgiants13; Nov 21, 2019 at 9:51 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.