Waldorf Astoria Chicago {US-IL}

Old Mar 12, 2012, 3:59 pm

Programs: HHonors (Diamond), SPG, Marriott Rewards, ALoyalty, Club Carlson, M&M
Does anybody know how much the breakfast is? I'll be there on a reward stay and as it is a W=A there will be no free breakfast.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 11:27 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DannyDarko
Does anybody know how much the breakfast is? I'll be there on a reward stay and as it is a W=A there will be no free breakfast.
You can find the menus with prices at Balsan Restaurant here.

Breakfast seems a little pricey as you might expect but two-course weekend brunch (though not an extensive menu) doesn't sound too bad.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 5:31 pm

Award Stay Tonight

staying one night on award stay tonight. 70,000 points. No upgrade. Asked to move to a higher floor for a better view - was NOT accomodated as hotel is full. Not sure I see any benefit of being diamond at this hotel. Breakfast is not included. Tips are not accepted. Room is very nice. A lot of points for someplace to crash after St. Patrick's Day...
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:58 am

Programs: Hyatt D/HHonors D/ SPG P/ Marriott P/ IHG P/ UA 1K/ AA EXP/ DL D
Best use for Q4 FN certificate

Just finished a night here with my last Q4 FN certificate. Outstanding property and terrific staff. This is the hotel you would like to stay entire time of your stay without even thinking about going out.

Checked in and was greeted as a diamond member. Room was assigned to original booking (King Deluxe), but after politely asked about upgrade, the front desk lady was unsure and went back to check with her manager. When she came out, I was told upgraded to a Waldorf Suite on east side of the 26th floor!

As a reward stay, I didn't expect too much but this hotel has surprised me in every possible aspects. The staff is trained with top notch courtesy and professionalism; the details of decor are flawless.

The best and yet the most unbelievable part: no tips accepted everywhere in the hotel, except Balsan (restaurant on 3rd floor) that automatically adds 18% gratuity to your entire bill.

The house car offers a convenient transportation alternative, with only three restrictions: (1) only drop off, no pick up; (2) first come, first serve, no reservation can be made beforehand; (3) only drive within 2-mile radius of the hotel.

Now the downside, the room itself is just a junior suite (anyway, this is a free upgrade for a reward stay and I am totally okay with it), but if you want to throw a party by counting on a "spacious" upgrade to a Waldorf suite, you may have to think about it again; the hotel is surrounded by skyscrapers so that the lake view is minimal, if there is any.

Other than that, no wonder it is the number 1 hotel in Chicago (by TA) and totally worth your every point/buck!

Last edited by lewende; Mar 19, 2012 at 7:55 pm Reason: Typo
Old Mar 20, 2012, 9:25 pm

Programs: Hyatt D/HHonors D/ SPG P/ Marriott P/ IHG P/ UA 1K/ AA EXP/ DL D

Limited lake view

Last edited by lewende; Apr 11, 2012 at 7:31 am
Old Apr 1, 2012, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold, Hertz PC
I have a reward stay (using a reward certificate) coming up at the end of April. Looking forward to staying here and hopefully getting an upgrade as a HHonors Gold member
Old Apr 1, 2012, 7:01 pm

Programs: QF Plat, HH Diamond
I need to stay a week in Chicago and looking at the rate now is ridiculously high (doubled) in comparison to Conrad.
Are there any special offers still going?
Old Apr 11, 2012, 7:19 am

Just completed a stay here over the weekend and loved it. The service was great, the location is wonderful, I love the decor. Definitely a property I will stay at again.

Had breakfast in room one morning, did not use the spa services but will next time. I booked a King Deluxe but was upgraded to a suite, nearly 1000 sq ft and with a lovely little balcony. More than enough room for me and made for a very comfortable stay. The bathtub was heavenly after a long day and was even able to relax there and watch a movie since there is a tv behind the bathroom mirror. No street noise at all during the night. I think I heard a siren once in the morning but I slept very well. I always have a hard time balancing location with noise when staying in larger cities as I am a light sleeper. I've stayed at the Sofitel just a block or two from here many times and it's always been a good balance for me so I was glad the WA was in the same area.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 7:07 am

Programs: UA - 1K, Hilton - Diamond, Starwood - Plat
For those that have stayed here, how long before your stay did you get contacted by your concierge?

Have a stay coming up this Saturday and have yet to hear from them - past stays at other Waldorf properties that do this I have been contacted over 2 weeks away.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by marinedjp
For those that have stayed here, how long before your stay did you get contacted by your concierge?

Have a stay coming up this Saturday and have yet to hear from them - past stays at other Waldorf properties that do this I have been contacted over 2 weeks away.
I have only stayed at WA property once (NYC) and wasn't contacted by anyone before my stay. That was a rewards stay 4 years ago
Old Apr 22, 2012, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold, Hertz PC
I just completed my stay this past weekend and had a great experience. I had booked a King Deluxe room with my free night certificate and was upgraded to the "Waldorf" suite. Very big rooms and the bed was one of the best ones I have ever slept on.

The one downside is I did not receive my two complimentary beverages upon checking in. They did however, bring up two bottles of water to the room after we had settled in.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 3:27 pm

Just completed a one night stay on my Free Night certificate.

Reservation was for 1 King Bed Standard room
Checked in Saturday at 3:30PM

Front desk checked me in, welcomed me as a Diamond and went over the diamond amenities. I got - 2 Free drink coupons (1 for each of us), and 15% off at the restaurant.
I said "oh, did I get lucky and score a bump up to a suite too?"
His response was the dreaded "Sorry, we are booked full tonight. I've got you in 2 queen beds, regular room"
I balked at that and reminded him I was reserved for a king bed. This was my birthday weekend, and wife and I were on a overnight trip to chicago and I wasn't going to settle for 2 queens.
He offered to comp breakfast for the two of us if I took the two queen beds then.
I still refused and asked for the King.
He typed away and grumbled and frowned and then magically found a King Bed in a suite and gave that to me.

I guess maybe they weren't really booked full?

Hotel is lovely. We enjoyed the spa and while we didn't get a service done, we just used the steam room, sauna and whirlpool.

The room was awesome. The fireplace gets that room cooking HOT!

The bed - much too soft for my liking, granted I do prefer a really hard mattress and use a tempur-pedic at home.. but this mattress was soft. I felt like I just sank down into it.

The bathroom/shower is well done - the shower is huge.. the only thing a little odd was as large as the shower was, it was just a tiny little showerhead in there. Seemed like the shower was designed for either the rain style showerhead or something bigger.

Otherwise, place was great, highly recommend it and we will be back down there again in the future to enjoy it.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 11:01 pm
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Recently booked an Astoria Suite here, and was upgraded on the day of arrival to a Gold Coast Suite. Unfortunately I was unable to honour the reservation, so cannot comment on the suite itself, but it seems this property is very good about upgrades for Golds...
Old Apr 24, 2012, 6:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors-Diamond, Marriott-Silver, SPG-Gold
Rewards Stay Value?

I'm trying to book a stay using points for May 17-20 at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago, also considering the Conrad or Palmer House. We would really like to stay at the W-A but it requires 128,625 points/nt where the Conrad or Palmer House are only 50k/nt. Is it worth the additional points to stay at the W-A? I am a Diamond Member.

I've read the Hilton pages over and over, but can't seem to figure it out. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Old Apr 24, 2012, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by tucsnaz
I'm trying to book a stay using points for May 17-20 at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago, also considering the Conrad or Palmer House. We would really like to stay at the W-A but it requires 128,625 points/nt where the Conrad or Palmer House are only 50k/nt. Is it worth the additional points to stay at the W-A? I am a Diamond Member.

I've read the Hilton pages over and over, but can't seem to figure it out. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Sounds like those are the points needed for a suite, not a 'normal' room.
so, guarantee yourself a suite at the WA or go with the Conrad/Palmer which are also nice and cross your fingers you get upgraded to a suite for free.

if you're sitting on a huge amount of hhonors points and want to blow them on a splurge - go for the W-A.

The common sense side of me would book the Conrad/palmer and just keep an eye on the W-A and see if something opens up at a normal rate there and switch reservations then.
I think it's 70 or 80k points per night there normally. Not completely sure on that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.